Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
TrackDaz Dude
359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I skipped practice and rolled out to Buttonwillow on Saturday morning. Pitting and camping with my buddies from AP MotoArts, and knew I was up for a good time. Also in or next to us were Catching Competition, aka Jason Catching's entire family.. Ari and Zack from Motorcyclist racing 2-fitty stuff, along with Tiffany, and SLim. Good times for sure were to be had.

I was post-entering all my races, but in spite of that, the Registration lady was super nice, and helpful, along with very welcoming.

Procedural stuff like tech inspection, etc.. are spot on, and even though I inadvertently attempted to use the "I know Berto" card, they were not having it at all. :naughty2:leghump

Just like last year at Buttonwillow, I questioned the pregrid marshal about the doing laps in hot-pit lane thing. Last year's guy told me "thats the way we've always done it" for a reason.. This guy (I forget his name) was much more in depth, though I don't believe the reasons are valid. He basically told me that they use that for "warming up tires, scrubbing tires, or bedding in brakes".

I really liked how many corner workers AFM guys had on track. I think other orgs should take note at Buttonwillow, especially considering the Friday snafu where a rider went off track, was taken out by a fence line, and was essentially lost for over 30 minutes. I know Friday's people probably are glad that rider wasn't hurt. Nice job there.

Saturday's practice was basically me doing practice group 5 on the R6 and 1 on the 250. It was pretty funny doing back-to-back sesh's and never getting tired.. this whole bicycling/swimming thing totally paying off.

I raced the 250 in 300production on Saturday. I got around a few people, and had a really good scrap with a guy on a FLAP bike towards the end. He ended up beating me, I have no idea where I finished, but I had a big smile afterwards.

Saturday night was the typical Catching BBQ.. Wow, they had this pulled pork that was amazing. Fun times later tatoo'ing the AFM Presidents R6 with TrackDaz stickers.

Sunday's first race up was 750 Production. I some how ended up 4th on the grid (front row).. They grid by points and time-of-entry.. Not sure how that works, but whatever.. Flag drops, and I'm relegated to 5th by Zabzdyr in turn 1. From there, I pretty much stayed where I was at, watching a cool race for 2nd place unfold in front of me. A couple of laps to go, I made a couple of mistakes and mailed it in for the finish. Fun times for sure!

I have video of the 750 Production Race here: http://youtu.be/D68ucteT_CE

Next up was formula1. This race was like a passing clinic. I was gridded way back somewhere, and got into a mix. I started picking people off, sometimes 2 at a time the entire length of the race until I got up to about 6th place.. I then rode around all by myself until the checkered flag. Again super fun.

Final race was 600 SBK. I was gridded even further back in this race, and it had a bunch of talented club dudes in there.. Joey P, Bryce, Jason Aguilar, etc.. Flag drops, and I'm OK... Pass a couple of people and get into a scrap. First lap goes by and I see a giant dust cloud entering Riverside.. its JoeyP's neon yellow R6.. (Wow.. hope he's OK).. Race goes on, and end up passing a couple of more riders, and then finally my pseudo-teammate Andrew Zabzydr... The next was crazy.. 2 laps to go, we're entering the esses, and a rider crashes, leaving his bike on the track. We sketch by, and keep racing... Both of us slowed a little thinking they were for sure gonna red flag it.. but still nothing.. so we keep racing. Catch the white flag, and run for the checkers.. Pass the same bike on the ground a 2nd time in the esses on the final lap. Not really sure what happened there, but thankfully we all ended up safe.

Overall, it was a fun weekend racing at Buttonwillow. That bump entering Riverside is NO JOKE! Also, seeing the CVMA peeps on an non CVMA weekend, all pitted together was awesome! Love my CVMA Family!

Thanks to ACT Racing for getting me some new leathers in time to take my "loaner" suit back. To Attack Performance for again, no mechanical DNF's! Shoei Helmets, Sidi Boots, etc.. for helping keep me safe out there. Andy Palmer and AP Moto Arts for allowing me to race that silly 2-fitty! Thanks to 4theriders Joe for all the cool action shots... and to everyone we were pitted with and hanging with all weekend, you extended family members kick ass! See you for Round 7 of CVMA!

250 action

R6 Action Shots

·
Official Noob Greeter
55,856 Posts
Joey is fine from what I hear, but then, shredding the whole fcuking field and setting a lap record against bigger bikes will help make some of the pain go away....:laugh

·
Official Noob Greeter
55,856 Posts
I heard a lot of people hating on the Riverside bump, two of them, actually. And Martin Swarzc (sp?) had a fcuking CRAZY ride into turn 1 of what I think was Formula Pacific. Saw the vid on FB from his point of view and DAMN! No idea how he saved it or how he didnt get demo'd by someone else.

·
Official Noob Greeter
55,856 Posts
Oh, shit, I see who you are now. FB is always suggesting that I know you, for some reason. :laugh

·
Mr. HER6
2,084 Posts
Sounds like a good time! Having a downed bike lay in the esses sounds really sketchy, though. I'll have to watch the video later. :cheers

·
Make good choices.
2,808 Posts
Right on, nice report Dustin. That's a great showing in some seriously stacked races.

It must have taken poor Robert forever to take all those stickers off Berto's bike. :(

I noticed your bike in the RV park area at some point on Saturday. I came buy to say hi on Saturday evening and there was a cover over it and it looked like your pit was battened down for the night. I figured you guys left to stay in a hotel or something; but you were probably just next door at the bbq. Then on Sunday I was busy racing and packing up.

Anyway, great work and thanks for coming out to race with the AFM!

·
Meh
9,250 Posts
I am always thankful CVMA has the good sense to run qualifying sessions. :) And to not leave bikes laying in the middle of the track for multiple race laps.

·
Mr. HER6
2,084 Posts
Yea, I'm pretty surprised to hear that other orgs don't have qualifying. I don't understand why you wouldn't. Not only does it eliminate stupid games you have to play to try and get a good spot, it's pretty obvious that it's the safest way to grid up.

·
TrackDaz Dude
359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
^honestly.. Our club is a little different because its still fairly young.

Its easy to start from a clean slate when you don't have 60 years of practice already.

·
TrackDaz Dude
359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The first time we went through there, the waving flag just came out.. Like the crash had just happened... The 2nd time by I believe there was a yellow flag in the first sweeper station, followed by a waving yellow by the incident.

·
Meh
9,250 Posts
Yea, I'm pretty surprised to hear that other orgs don't have qualifying. I don't understand why you wouldn't. Not only does it eliminate stupid games you have to play to try and get a good spot, it's pretty obvious that it's the safest way to grid up.
I can kind of understand possible rationales for not doing qualifying. It's a bunch of time that could be used for running more races - but the alternatives all make me go "ewww".

·
TrackDaz Dude
359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
honestly, nobody races as much as we do. during other events, I always feel like we spend a ton of time sitting around.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts