Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im currently rebuilding my 02 r6.I had went back to college, so my dad took my block from a shop to measure the bore to a place called Magic Motorsports to get the cylinders honed. Turns out they did it with a hand drill, and now there are some scratches that really worry me. Most of it feels fine from what I know, but there are a few that will barely catch my fingernail. Most notably in the first picture right by the top of the cylinder, it almost feels like a hardwood surface.

Is this something I need to be worried about? Can I use it as is, does it need to be re-done, or is the block toast? The guy who measured the bore before it was honed said the cylinders look fine, and I remember the bore being very smooth before it was honed. Theres also a bit of verticle scoring, but it feels less deep than the honed marks, Im not sure if thats something I should be concerned with either

This second picture is what I would expect it to look like, minus the horizontal scratch right in the middle, which catches

·
Registered
5,244 Posts
um hopefully you didnt pay for such hack work. How did they measure it without the rings?? Thats what counts.
Any good machine shop would have asked for those items prior to any work being done. At the very top of the boore the rings arent going to travel that far.
May be able to run a ball hone. You'll need to gap the rings anyways.

·
YZFR6... ooodles of HP
1,099 Posts
Yes turbo is right. My guy wouldn't accept my cmm dimensions on my pistons and cylinder block. Wanted to do his own check first.

Reactions: Peanut_EOD

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
um hopefully you didnt pay for such hack work. How did they measure it without the rings?? Thats what counts.
Any good machine shop would have asked for those items prior to any work being done. At the very top of the boore the rings arent going to travel that far.
May be able to run a ball hone. You'll need to gap the rings anyways.
The guy said 15, which I figured per cylinder, as thats how other shops quoted. I read online that 50 to 100 is what it should generally cost so i thought it was about right. Turns out it was just 15 for the whole thing
Ill try to find a shop that can redo it. What kind of place should I be looking for, and about what price point should I be expecting?

·
Registered
5,244 Posts
just buy a ball hone in the appropriate grit & bore size. Shouldnt be more than $40. You are running stock stuff... not an overbore?
Also you may want to look at appropriate abrasives for the gasket/mating surfaces.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts