Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 4) other, and state which one and why please

Votes: 2 66.7%
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
My Bonneville eats me.
1,030 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so now that Christmas shopping is out of the way I'm looking to invest in a jacket for this upcoming riding season. I know a lot of you are going to say to go with leather, but I'm really not planning on racing/going too far above the speed limit and I'm also not looking to spend a ton on a nice leather jacket.

So having said that I think I've settled on Dainese. They are from what I have read top of the line, and also will fit me well (European fit and I have a "European" build, aka I'm a skinny bithc). So if you were me, which one would you go with?

·
I can ban you
33,575 Posts
Even if you aren't "racing" "going to far above the speed limit" <-- what does that mean?

you should still go leather. Textile doesn't offer the same kind of protection as leather..

But then again I like my skin

·
My Bonneville eats me.
1,030 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Even if you aren't "racing" "going to far above the speed limit" <-- what does that mean?

you should still go leather. Textile doesn't offer the same kind of protection as leather..

I mean like 5-10 over. Not looking to go 100+. And I'm aware it doesn't offer the same protection, but like I said I'm not trying to go knee down or anything. If and when I start racing I'll invest in a 1 piece suit.

·
Speedy Claxton
1,767 Posts
i wouldnt want to go down in any of those jackets..

i got my A* leather jacket for less than any of the ones you're looking at, search around and you'll find good deals

·
My Bonneville eats me.
1,030 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Is textile really that unsafe? Are there any stories of textile not holding up to a sub 80mph crash? I wouldn't think they would be so heavily stocked/marketed if they were so unreliable.

So would this be a viable alternative?
http://205.178.134.15/daineselaguna.aspx

This shop is a local one that is pretty good with giving fair prices. STG also carries this model too.

·
My Bonneville eats me.
1,030 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
TTT no other opinions?

·
slow guy
4,409 Posts

^^^^^:fact

I too enjoy my skin and thought of keeping it if and when I crash. I do not race...yet but wear full leathers. Good leathers(Dianese) can be had for cheap if you keep your eyes open. What size jacket do you wear? I have a used MX1 for sale I'll sell you for a bit more then those textiles. There are lots of great leather options out there by many brands.

·
My Bonneville eats me.
1,030 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'm a jacket size 38 or 40, but I'm going to my local shop to try on some Dainese. Another shop a little further away carries A* so I might try them out too, but I'm kind of set on Dainese with their thinner fit sizing.

And I do too care about my skin. Every time i ride I'll be wearing my jacket, pants, boots, gloves, and helmet of course. I just figured textile would be worth it for the every day non crazy rider. Does anybody have experience with crashing while wearing textile? Everybody seems to preach that leather is far superior, but it's almost impossible to find testimonies regarding textile during a crash.

·
I can ban you
33,575 Posts
I mean like 5-10 over. Not looking to go 100+. And I'm aware it doesn't offer the same protection, but like I said I'm not trying to go knee down or anything. If and when I start racing I'll invest in a 1 piece suit.
5 or 10 over is in most cases what?? 60-70 mph..

I wasn't dragging knee when I turned a blind corner to see a truck blocking both lanes.. my leather jacket saved my skin.. (and this was only at about 40mph)

Sounds like you are new to riding if you thing a textile is a good decision at those speeds.. good luck..

I'm a jacket size 38 or 40, but I'm going to my local shop to try on some Dainese. Another shop a little further away carries A* so I might try them out too, but I'm kind of set on Dainese with their thinner fit sizing.

And I do too care about my skin. Every time i ride I'll be wearing my jacket, pants, boots, gloves, and helmet of course. I just figured textile would be worth it for the every day non crazy rider. Does anybody have experience with crashing while wearing textile? Everybody seems to preach that leather is far superior, but it's almost impossible to find testimonies regarding textile during a crash.
most people that crash in textile give up riding and never come back to post their horror stories..

i did say most.. you may get someone on here that says their textile held up.. but a lot regret not having leather when they went down...

and whose says leather can't be worn everyday? I where my leather every time I go out.

·
My Bonneville eats me.
1,030 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Sounds like you are new to riding if you thing a textile is a good decision at those speeds.. good luck..

most people that crash in textile give up riding and never come back to post their horror stories..

i did say most.. you may get someone on here that says their textile held up.. but a lot regret not having leather when they went down...

and whose says leather can't be worn everyday? I where my leather every time I go out.
Yes I definitely am new to riding and am appreciating all of the advice. The more I read the more I am figuring textile is a complete waste. I don't understand why they advertise/market textile to anyone riding anything other than a scooter if it's so unsafe.

Looks like I'm going to end up with some perforated leather then. I can deal with freezing cold, but baking in a black leather jacket during New England summers with 90% humidity is what I have trouble with.

So now I'm looking at a few breathable leather jackets. Any suggestions under $500? I'm looking at Dainese's Air Leather jacket, Icon's Accelerant Perforated, A*'s Indy jacket, basically reasonably priced, perforated with no hump. White is nice for the hotter days too.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts