Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,

I have a couple of issues regarding ECU replacement.

First, the bike ECU is damaged (burned), it can not be re-flashed. There are plenty of used ECU's available on eBay, but I'm wondering what kind of process it is to get the bike running with the new ECU.

I have understood that I need to buy a new similar ECU (from eBay) and send it to some garage, where they will read the codes from it and create new keys with chips that match the ECU. Then just put them all back and that's it. Can it really be this simple? I don't need to change the ignition lock or anything else? Is there something I am not taking into consideration?

Can you recommend any garage in EU, who is capable of doing this, and if you had a similar issue, how much did it cost all together?

Any comment appreciated,

/MattiKa, Finland

·
Registered
137 Posts
Hi, you can disable the immobilizer yourself, that is not a problem. You don't have to reprogram the ecu or change the lock on your bike.

Lock this:

Julie supports older models, I don't know if the first one can serve you

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi, you can disable the immobilizer yourself, that is not a problem. You don't have to reprogram the ecu or change the lock on your bike.

Lock this:

Julie supports older models, I don't know if the first one can serve you
The immobiliser is not problem. The ECU itself needs to be changed, it is damaged, toasted, partly melted - there is no intel inside. And the ECU has a lot more functions than just an immobiliser.

·
Registered
137 Posts
If you buy an exact OEM ecu for your bike, I don't know what functions you want to adjust

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Thanks for your reply, but you propably totally missed my post. Naturally when I would buy a new OEM from Yamaha, they'll fix it, but I don't want to pay 2000€. Pre-owned ECU's cost around 100-200€ at eBay + 100€ to have to keys coded to new ECU. Just replacing a broken ECU is NOT enough, it needs to be coded with new keys.

The question is: do I need to do anything else than have new keys coded that match the ECU? Please, this is not about adjusting or tuning, this is not about immobiliser, this is simply about replacing a broken ECU with a new one. What to consider, are the steps I mentioned earlier enough? I am having troubles understanding why this is so hard to understand, maybe my English is not that perfect.

If you have not done this yourself, you probably have no clue about it. If anyone is familiar with this procedure, I would really appreciate info.

·
Registered
137 Posts
With the keys coded for the ecu it would be enough.

If you buy an ecu on ebay, the keys of your old ecu will not serve you since they do not have the same coding.

You can get ebay on ecu with your respective key, otherwise you will have to code a new one.

The emulators that I put above are to omit the coded keys and thus not have to reprogram it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah, this I already know, I wrote it myself a couple times above. Thanks anyway.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Yeah, this I already know, I wrote it myself a couple times above. Thanks anyway.
Hey bro you don't have to do anything like that on these 2nd gens. You just buy a new or used OEM ECU plug it in and you are good to go. I am 100% positive about this. I know everything about these 2nd gen R6's. I have been dealing with them for 15 years. I have a 04 ECU if you need one. And a ton of other parts as well. Let me know and good luck.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Unfortunately this is not true, immobiliser is why. And US / EU ECU’s are not the same because of different emission standards. So thanks, but no thanks.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts