Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5,244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I finally got to give the VB Cup front tire a try at Roebling. Eff you!!:secret
First session... kinda lolly gagging 25s. 2nd session... more lolly gagging at 23s... 3rd practice session passing 1ks on the brakes into turn 1 and bam back to back laps in the high 19s.
Here's the kicker, I was touching down on every turn except 7&8. Like 5... first time I touched down... I kinda checked up, then I just rolled with it the next lap and eventually could pass folks on the outside there.
My approach on 6 became better, drive out of 7 and I could run folks down in 8 & 9!

Also compared to the SC1 pirelli I was running the Cup 180/55 was tiny. But the bike felt like it had motor work done as the tach was climbing like crazy. Couple times out of 5 it spun the rear pretty good but that was me being ham fisted that far over!:D
Kinda gave me a whole new level of confidence. Road Atlanta is this week...so hopefully I can get me into the 30s.

·
"The Dude abides .. "
4,719 Posts
LOL.. awesome.. Yes, that Michelin VB front is friggin an amazing tire. Firm enough to have great trail braking feel, and incredible side grip, and triangulated enough that turn-in is easy.

·
Registered
5,244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
LOL.. awesome.. Yes, that Michelin VB front is friggin an amazing tire. Firm enough to have great trail braking feel, and incredible side grip, and triangulated enough that turn-in is easy.
ya I cant wait to put in some laps at RA. I didn't change a damn thing either.
The bike was pulling so hard off 9 that I ran into the rev limiter twice, costing me a couple of positions trying to get it to shift. :mad: Ironically I tightened up the shift linkage after practice like a dum dum and didn't test it on the out lap.

·
"The Dude abides .. "
4,719 Posts
which compound 180/55 did you run ? that size tire really can work well..
If you decide to run the 190/55, as you likely know, just yank the shim off the top of the shock and add 1 tooth to the rear sprocket. You shouldn't have to change anything else but it will feel a little different on corner entry. there obviously will be a bit more drive grip from mid corner on as you roll on the gas.

·
Registered
5,244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
which compound 180/55 did you run ? that size tire really can work well..
If you decide to run the 190/55, as you likely know, just yank the shim off the top of the shock and add 1 tooth to the rear sprocket. You shouldn't have to change anything else but it will feel a little different on corner entry. there obviously will be a bit more drive grip from mid corner on as you roll on the gas.
It was a B rear. I spoke to the Stick about the 190. He has some on the trailer.
Also I started out about 5 psi higher than reco'd. Well it had ~28lbs hot off the track the first session.

·
"The Dude abides .. "
4,719 Posts
It was a B rear. I spoke to the Stick about the 190. He has some on the trailer.
Also I started out about 5 psi higher than reco'd. Well it had ~28lbs hot off the track the first session.
On the rears i like to see 25 hot off the track. 28psi isn't horrible, but won't do wonders for tire wear or traction. So actually, it is quite horrible .. Obviously didn't create any major issues for ya, but try a lower psi next time and see what you think.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts