Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there anyone out there that can explain to me why my 02 r6 with 3500 miles on it sounds like it needs a valve adjustment.....it ticks all the time whenever it wants.....comes and goes....especially on deceleration....HELP!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
not really.....the last service that I had was the 600 mile service otherwise I change my own oil. The dealership told me originally that it was normal....but i know enough to say it doesn't sound right

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
The motor in the R6 is kinda noisy.

It is thin aluminum so you may be hearing the valve train operating, but if it is obnoxious get it checked out.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I know this is a common question. But I'm going to get in there tonight and check the valve clearances. Thanks for the help guys.

·
Registered
504 Posts
My ticks, it's really high pitched... it might be chain slack. I hope, it only has 300 miles on it. Any thoughts?

-Solace

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
It's your valvetrain. All yamaha's do this, and the transmission is also clunky shifting.

Haven't heard of any '03s with Cam chain tensioner problems yet, but have with pre '03 models. This could be a possibilty, but most likely just valvetrain noise.

CCT's and valvetrain noises are very distinguishable sounds. CCT almost clunks, or sounds like it ratches when you accellerate (alot more noticeable)

·
Registered
409 Posts
my 03 makes alot of engine noise and I comlained to the dealer and they said its normall still dont think it is but its under warranty for a while oh well

·
Registered
13 Posts
My '03 is 500 miles old now and it ticks too, i've only noticed it under 6k revs as i'm still running it in but i'm guessing it's natural. It doesnt sound great but isnt awful. I'm going to mention it to the dealer at the 600 mile service and I'll post on here what they say.

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
The CCT just keeps tension on cam chain to ensure it from stretch, and to keep it in time. If it would get really bad, the chain can slack too much and cause stretch under heavy acceleration. It can also cause the cams to skip time. This is rare, but internal engine damage can be very severe if cams skip time, or if chain breaks. Expensive to repair also.

CCT's very commonly go out on pre '03 honda F's. A friends '02 F4i went through 3 last summer in 2400 miles. If you hear a F4i with a bad CCT, you'll remember distinctively what they sound like! Yet i haven't heard of honda having many problems with time skip, or breaking chains, so this goes to show how rare it can be. I'd say about 3 of 5 Honda 600 F's i hear have bad CCT's!!

·
Registered
52 Posts
I dont know if you guys have ever driven a honda or a suzuki, but you think the yamaha engine makes noise damn those things sound like they are passing stones.

·
Registered
836 Posts
And to top off the noisy Yamaha top end, you have the quiet exhaust.

Normally I can hear the valvegear of my engine over the exhaust note. It pissed me off at first, but after a while I got used to it.

Obviously it doesn't bother me that much anymore, because I never bothered to get an aftermarket exhaust.

·
Registered
50 Posts
mine ticks while sitting at idle and gets louder as I go faster. is that tich tick ya'll are talking about? I've only got 130 miles on my bike. Is that normal for it to tick so early?

·
My R6 eats gas
67 Posts
Was wondering why everyone was talking about 03's...

1 - 20 of 24 Posts