Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I went to change out my spark plugs today on my 07 r6. Got #1broke loose and used a long extension to get it broke loose instead of 2 short ones. Now I can't get that mother****er out. I know someone else has done this and got it out. How the **** did you do it? I loosened the top of the rad and still all it does is hit the frame. I can't get it out and could really use some help on how to get this ****er out.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Can u use the coil to pull it out? I did that when I changed my spark plugs, granted it was on a 2nd gen going the air box route...

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No the spark plug I can get put with a magnet if I could get to it but the extension to the socket is what's stuck. I tried getting the socket off with no luck. I guess I'll try to get the socket off again when I get home. Maybe then I can get the extension out

·
Registered
211 Posts
That's what I was going to suggest... screw it back in and maybe use the coil to unscrew it after u get the hard part done and get the extension out.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I need a way to get the socket off the extension. I've used this same way to get spark plugs out on a lot of bikes. I just got this new socket set and the socket isn't coming off the extension as easy as my old set

·
nom nom nom nom nom nom
1,251 Posts
I think he means that with the socket attached to the extension, it is too long to remove the two together.

Try sticking something down in the hole to hold the socket down and then pull up on the extension.

·
Make good choices.
2,808 Posts
I think he means that with the socket attached to the extension, it is too long to remove the two together.
Yeah, that's what I thought, which is why I suggested threading the plug back in to create the same amount of room there was when the socket/extension went in, then pulling it out.

But now he is saying the problem is that the socket wont separate from the extension, which I'm not sure why that would be a problem.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Explain why not having the extension separate from the socket is a bad thing. On my bike, if the extension separates from the socket then I'm left with the socket and a loose spark plug in the engine block/head and I can't get either out.

I still think that screwing it back in to the point of being able to get the socket + extension out and then unscrewing it with the coil will be the best way to remove the old plug.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The reason why the socket not coming off the extension is because of the way I got it in there.
Here's the way I did it
1-remove coil
2-put socket in
3- put extension in clip in socket (if the socket was on the extension it wouldn't fit)
4-unscrew plug
Now what is supposed happen that isn't
5-break extension loose from socket and remove extension
6-use magnet to pull plug and socket out at the sand time.
7-put new plug in repeat the process

Now does it make sense to you guys? I'm going to figure out a way to get the socket off so I can get the extension out and then the socket and plug. I thought maybe someone had done the same thing and found a trick for getting the socket off the extension. It boils down to lesson learned use 2 small extensions instead of 1 big one

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Should have removed the tank and done it from the top. Much easier.
That's the way I went in. I loosened the rad bolts hoping it would clear up room for the socket to come out.

·
Make good choices.
2,808 Posts
Now does it make sense to you guys? I'm going to figure out a way to get the socket off so I can get the extension out and then the socket and plug. I thought maybe someone had done the same thing and found a trick for getting the socket off the extension. It boils down to lesson learned use 2 small extensions instead of 1 big one
Yes, now I get it.

What if you insert something thin and strong (like maybe a long flat head screwdriver) into the spark plug hole and use it to hold the socket down while you pull up on the extension?

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Tried both of those ideas with no luck. So I tried putting my angle grinder in there but there so out came the little hack saw

After about 30 minutes I got it out.........in 2 pieces. Guess it's time to buy a new long extension

**** it sometimes you have to do what have to do. Problem solved lesson learned

·
nom nom nom nom nom nom
1,251 Posts
Umm, I hope you screwed the plug back in before you did that. And I hope you got all the metal savings out of there before you removed your plug.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Umm, I hope you screwed the plug back in before you did that. And I hope you got all the metal savings out of there before you removed your plug.
I got all the metal shavings. I screwed the plug in then covered the hole with papertowls to avoid any getting in there.

I know a little bit amount about motorcycles. This is my project bike I'm building right now.
It started out as a 05 636

1 - 19 of 19 Posts