Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Motorcycle Race VIP Guy
833 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Cliff Notes: Expenses arose, I'm poor, do I track a stock Ninja 300 on stock tires?

So back in December I bought myself a Kawasaki Ninja 300 to be the track whore, while the R6 does street duty. I had dumped a bit of money into the R6 to make it a Rossi replica, which I'm just finishing up, and really didn't want to then turn around and take a huge loss making it a track bike ... so, the 300 comes in. Since I've never tracked, and probably have terrible form compared to everyone who does track days, I figure a 300 would also be a great learner bike for the track.

So after acquiring a full set of track gear (Cortech Adrenaline suit, Alpinestars GP Pro gloves, Gaerne GP1 boots), the house then needed some repairs which I wasn't expecting. Brand new refrigerator, new dryer, new roof...etc. Money. :eek5 Of course I didn't have that type of money in my back pocket, so I had to finance said repairs. And now I basically live week to week.:throwup

Soooo, I was originally planning on doing just 2 track days this year - one in early May, and then the last one in October. Now money is so damn tight, I don't even know if it's possible. (I'm now in the "Sell Anything I don't use around the house" stage)

I'm already apart of TeamProMotion, and the track day will cost me $200. So I'm gonna get that money to attend for the day, and rent a trailer.

Now that you know the back story, here comes the "Dare I Track It?"

The Ninja 300 is on stock rubber. They are IRC-brand tires. Never even heard of them! I planned on getting some Diablo Rosso II's for it, but, where I'll come up with the ~$300 for the tires + install is the problem.

So, question is: would you trust tracking a completely stock 300?

I know many people, including myself, just want to say "Save up till you can afford the tires, and go to the track once the bike is actually track-ready". My only fear is, that once I can get the bike to being "track-ready", I'll have just sat on all the gear (and the bike) for a year and won't use it till next season.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
870 Posts
get better tires (q2's they are like $200 a set?), but there are deals all around, and install on the track not in a shop, just bring tires with you usually there are tire guys who change tires for $10 a pop.

tpm has tire machine to change tires... source: personal experience.

·
When in doubtThrottle out
5,058 Posts
Do I trust a stock bike on the track, especially as a beginner? Yes

Is it in your budget is what you have to figure out. Can you afford to throw it in a dumpster at the end of the day?

·
Motorcycle Race VIP Guy
833 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
get better tires (q2's they are like $200 a set?), but there are deals all around, and install on the track not in a shop, just bring tires with you usually there are tire guys who change tires for $10 a pop.

tpm has tire machine to change tires... source: personal experience.
That's good to know!

Do I trust a stock bike on the track, especially as a beginner? Yes

Is it in your budget is what you have to figure out. Can you afford to throw it in a dumpster at the end of the day?
If by dumpster, you mean, dumping the bike .. if that were to happen, it'd be a slow rebuild to a track-only bike. Would I get it back up and going this year? No. I have bills that will be paid off by the end of the year, so I'd get it back up and going for next year. Granted, if I ride on stock rubber, I'd definitely be more reasonable with how aggressive I try to ride.

·
5,058 Posts
That's good to know!

If by dumpster, you mean, dumping the bike .. if that were to happen, it'd be a slow rebuild to a track-only bike. Would I get it back up and going this year? No. I have bills that will be paid off by the end of the year, so I'd get it back up and going for next year. Granted, if I ride on stock rubber, I'd definitely be more reasonable with how aggressive I try to ride.
Not quite, by dumpster I mean get whatever scrap value you can out of the bent parts. Frame, engine, swing arm, radiator, etc...

·
Motorcycle Race VIP Guy
833 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Who the hell isn't in debt these days, anyway.
:yes :jerkit

Yeah the question wasn't, "Im in debt.. should I not track?" though it may have come off that way. :laugh

More so just was nervous about the tires, and wanted to see what you guys thought (Who've actually tracked).

Aiming for the first track day to be May 5th.

Mercenary, I'm hoping I don't total the bike on my first outing. If I do that, I'll just wrap up my track day career right then and there. :poke

·
5,058 Posts

·
Motorcycle Race VIP Guy
833 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

·
Registered
102 Posts
I would not hesitate to do a day or two on the stock tires as a new track rider. As for getting to the track, we(TPM) have a forum where you could post up to try to ride share with someone which would help reduce travel cost on your end.

I'm at a decent amount of TPM days as a coach so feel free to shoot a PM with any questions. I'm in DC otherwise I would be willing to help with trailering your bike.

Good luck and hope to see you out there with a smile on your face, you'll love it!

·
"The Dude abides .. "
4,719 Posts
as some have said, you will be just fine. Ride within your limits naturally, but on a cool little 300 you will have a bunch of fun. Here in FL CCS racing, there is a class formed around these little bikes, those guys AND girls run many many race weekends on the same set of tires in most cases. These little motor bikes offer a good cheap way to get on the track and have fun without the expense of lots and lots of tires like on the 600 and 1000 cc bikes.

·
pin it to win it
8,081 Posts

·
Motorcycle Race VIP Guy
833 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I would not hesitate to do a day or two on the stock tires as a new track rider. As for getting to the track, we(TPM) have a forum where you could post up to try to ride share with someone which would help reduce travel cost on your end.

I'm at a decent amount of TPM days as a coach so feel free to shoot a PM with any questions. I'm in DC otherwise I would be willing to help with trailering your bike.

Good luck and hope to see you out there with a smile on your face, you'll love it!
That's awesome! I browsed the TPM forums, though admittedly, I felt overwhelmed. So much knowledge and veterans on there, I feel like a complete noob. :dunce: I'll have to actually become active on there as the season grows nearer, I know everyone's a noob once, and of course the more help, the better for me. I'm hoping to get Chazz to trailer our bikes out together (Gundamzepplin) so I actually have someone to go with.

:yes
Especially if you are gonna try the new NY track and post up a video of how it flows.
Yes exactly the plan. I have a GoPro3 waiting :cheers

I hope the track is ready in time though. TPM has a warning that it is still under construction and may not be ready.

·
Track=Cocaine
13,523 Posts
If ya gotta ask...

Honestly, you know whether you can afford it or not. Will you spend a couple hundos that should have gone towards bills instead, or the last couple hundos after bills...

·
Motorcycle Race VIP Guy
833 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
If ya gotta ask...

Honestly, you know whether you can afford it or not. Will you spend a couple hundos that should have gone towards bills instead, or the last couple hundos after bills...
Yeah bills was never the question. Money before or money after is still money. I was just skeptical on the cheap ass tires Kawi put on the bike. But, yall sold me. Scrounging up the $200 and registering for a track day.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts