Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went out riding tonite with some guys that i know. went to lower greenville for those that live in dallas. was stuck in traffic for about 45 mins b/c there is an accident right were they are doing highway construction. right as were passing the cops, i hit a road flare, which flies in the air as the cops are watching and then i get a flat instantly. had enough air to get me about 5 more miles to the restaurant we were going to. so we get there and i cant even put my kickstand down. decide to go eat first, then fix it afterwards. eat. go to the closest gas station to find that they only have fix a flat spray. friends go to next gas station and get a plug. we try it but break the tool in the process. buy the fix a flat. do what it says. seems fixed, leave the gas station. tire goes flat. go get another tire patch tool. patch it without breaking the tool. fill it back up with air. then fire the beast up, but quess what. im almost out of gas. fill that up, then we rode home which is 30 miles away. fun evening otherwise. anyone here ever ridden for an extended period on those plugs? i got a good hookup, so ill probably just get a new metzeler, but if i can ride on it for a while then that would be cool. what you think?

·
Registered
57 Posts
Hmm...nope cant say that I have...of course I havent been riding but only a year or so. But from what Ive read I would go with a new tire. Riding is just too extreme a thing on a "not up to par tire" But thats just me so I dont know. Good story though...I'll steer clear of those road flares myself! hehe

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
yeah hopefully it doesnt happen again. there were four bikes, 7 people total. 03 954/03 r6/04 zx-6r/02 r6(me). we went down to snuffers off of mockingbird. had to sit in traffic for about 45 mins which sucked. havent gotten my alarm yet. probably be here monday. i know that you can ride on a plug for a long time, but im not sure if we did a good enough job. will probably have one of my friends who works at cyclegear take a look at it, b/c i know he will tell me the truth and not just try to sell me new tires. if i do keep this tire on it will probably only be for 2-3 months.

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
I have like 6000 miles on a plugged Metzeler ME Z4. It is plugged from the inside though...dont know that id trust the screw i n type plug

1 - 7 of 7 Posts