Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
im going to pick up a hid kit form ddm, i have a few questions first..

they come single, so i need two sets obviously, i will be getting the duel hi/lo beam.. when i install them will both headlights be on at the same time, instead of the stock way (i cant stand)? or will i have to mod it to do that?

the 35w is best for our bikes right? not the 55w

they have..... h4 hi/lo.....h13 hi/lo......9004 hi/lo.....9007 hi/lo..... what ones do i get?? or what ones will be best??? or does it not matter

ill be getting 8k colour if that makes a difference.

·
Registered
188 Posts
You would likely have to mod the stock wiring harness to make this happen. In any case, I wouldn't recommend you go this route since you're likely putting "extra" strain on the wiring and your battery at HID start-up. It's possible that the bulbs won't even turn on unless you run power directly to the ballasts using one of their crappy power extender kits....

If you do HID's just go the normal route and go low on one side and high on the other, save yourself a whole bunch of headaches.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
can anybody clarify if buying these hi/lo hids will have both low beam, and both hi beam at the same time without doing any modifications. ive looked but haven't found a solid clear answer.

ive seen other hid kits being sold claiming both will be on.

looking for a clear answer before i pull the trigger on these.

·
I eat what my R6 cooks!
2,498 Posts
Ok...i will try to give a helpful response. Go to https://www.sylvania.com/en-us/applications/automotive-lighting-systems/Pages/lrgmain.aspx and search for your year yzf-r6 or yzf-r6s. It will tell you what type lights you need. I think they are H7, but I don't know for sure. Go with the 35w set. Don't worry about the high/low shit. Our bikes use one side as the low beam, and then the other side is the high beam. Pretty sure they both use the same bulb. I know my 2003 did. You will only need to order one set. Leave it the stock way and just turn the high beams on after you start the bike. Now you have both headlights on.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ok...i will try to give a helpful response. Go to https://www.sylvania.com/en-us/applications/automotive-lighting-systems/Pages/lrgmain.aspx and search for your year yzf-r6 or yzf-r6s. It will tell you what type lights you need. I think they are H7, but I don't know for sure. Go with the 35w set. Don't worry about the high/low shit. Our bikes use one side as the low beam, and then the other side is the high beam. Pretty sure they both use the same bulb. I know my 2003 did. You will only need to order one set. Leave it the stock way and just turn the high beams on after you start the bike. Now you have both headlights on.
cool... so the hi beam side will be the same brightness??? it wont be bright as hell??

either way i dont really care... i always have the hi beam on anyways.

·
I eat what my R6 cooks!
2,498 Posts
cool... so the hi beam side will be the same brightness??? it wont be bright as hell??

either way i dont really care... i always have the hi beam on anyways.
I don't know what model you have. If you have a second gen, the high beam will seem brighter because the projectors on the high beam side dont have a cutoff. I have heard the 1st and 3rd gens are aimed slightly differently to make the beam go further down the road, but I could be wrong on that.

·
Registered
230 Posts
If you want HID's on both your low and high beam then you'll need to separate HID's and ballasts. In other words, you'll need the same set they sell for cars.

·
I eat what my R6 cooks!
2,498 Posts
If you want HID's on both your low and high beam then you'll need to separate HID's and ballasts. In other words, you'll need the same set they sell for cars.
^^this. I didn't pay that close of attention to the first post.

http://www.ddmtuning.com/Products/DDM-HID-Kit-Slim-Ballast-35W-or-55W

I suggest you just go with that kit. I run the 4500k in my truck and it is crystal white. I don't notice any yellow tint at all. I run the 10,000k in my r6 and it is a pretty deep blue, and almost a hint of purple(see attached picture). I think the 8000k that you are looking at would be a great choice. Mine are 35w ones. They provide a ton of light. Personally, I see no need for the 55w setup. The only thing I am not sure of is your bulb type(use that sylvania link I gave earlier to find out what you need, but I think it will be an H7 bulb). If you go with the kit i just linked here, you will get two bulbs and two ballasts, that way you can just do them both and you save a lot over buying two of the motorcycle specific kits.

Attachments

·
Registered
13 Posts
I just installed that same kit in my 08 r6 last week. If you buy that kit you don't need to get 2 sets. My bulb size was both h7 for low and high beam I don't like the look of just having one light on either so I just flip the high beam on when I start it up. The high beam on my bike is set a little different so it shines down the road a little farther. So much that when driving at night passing cars flash me to turn it off because its blinding them.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
^^this. I didn't pay that close of attention to the first post.

http://www.ddmtuning.com/Products/DDM-HID-Kit-Slim-Ballast-35W-or-55W

I suggest you just go with that kit. I run the 4500k in my truck and it is crystal white. I don't notice any yellow tint at all. I run the 10,000k in my r6 and it is a pretty deep blue, and almost a hint of purple(see attached picture). I think the 8000k that you are looking at would be a great choice. Mine are 35w ones. They provide a ton of light. Personally, I see no need for the 55w setup. The only thing I am not sure of is your bulb type(use that sylvania link I gave earlier to find out what you need, but I think it will be an H7 bulb). If you go with the kit i just linked here, you will get two bulbs and two ballasts, that way you can just do them both and you save a lot over buying two of the motorcycle specific kits.

thanks alot dude.... im going to go with that kit...

i know you said your unsure, but if anyone else know, i need h7 bulb?? doesnt say hi/lo.... that doesnt matter??

do i need the Adaptor cables?? Error Eliminator? or hid harness?? ( i imagine its just plug n play and i dont need any of these)

ive done hids on all my cars in the past, just never a bike....

·
I eat what my R6 cooks!
2,498 Posts
thanks alot dude.... im going to go with that kit...

i know you said your unsure, but if anyone else know, i need h7 bulb?? doesnt say hi/lo.... that doesnt matter??

do i need the Adaptor cables?? Error Eliminator? or hid harness?? ( i imagine its just plug n play and i dont need any of these)

ive done hids on all my cars in the past, just never a bike....
If you get the kit i suggested, you won't need the high/low setup. One bulb will go in one side and be the low beam. The other will go in the other side, and it will be the high beam. I have a 2003 R6 and I didn't use any of those eliminators or shit like that. I literally just installed the ballasts and the bulbs.

I'm gonna get more drunk, now. Hit me up if you need help.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts