Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
I Ride
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I cut off what's no longer needed. Very easy to do... cut-off wheel and a flap wheel to smooth it out. Strictly for appearance purposes.. Now they're symmetrical. Just thought some of you might like to do this and I wasn't sure if this is a common thing to do. Takes 5 minutes... etched them and painted. Will clear them in a few hours

sorry about the board in the pic.. it was the easiest to get to free space on the garage door tracks to hang them. I should've taken the board down. I'll put some better pics up when they're dry.

·
I Ride
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Went ahead and painted my rearsets... I used an etcher and then Rustoleum high performance enamel. Then the most important step was the clear. I use the stuff pictured below. It's a two part extreme gloss and it hardens quick. Once cured it's very strong and chemical resistant. I would definitely recommend this clear coat system for anything but the tank. It will resist gasoline but I prefer a stronger thicker clear for my tanks. We use a professional grade clear that's really expensive which is why we only use it on tanks.

For fairings and other parts this clear is awesome. Should last me quite a while or at least until I get set up to powdercoat my own shit.

·
I Ride
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So here's some pics with everything back on. I sprayed the midfairing satin black last night. It was grey and needed to be black. I cleared it early this morning.

I got this idea last night to put some steel mesh in there... I made some cardboard templates and then cut them out. Painted and cleared them this morning.

Attached them with some button-head machine bolts I hit with red... last night

I think they're kinda cool.. they were easy to make and I had the expanded steel lying around the shop anyways.

·
Theturtle7023
1,102 Posts
Maybe its just the picture quality, but that paint job looks super cheap, and is making your whole design super cheap. I'm sure it was super cheap to do, but the goal usually isn't for the outcome to look cheap. You should get it professionally painted.

·
I Ride
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Maybe its just the picture quality, but that paint job looks super cheap, and is making your whole design super cheap. I'm sure it was super cheap to do, but the goal usually isn't for the outcome to look cheap. You should get it professionally painted.
Pics were taken with my phone... what should I get professionally painted?

·
07 Blue R6
222 Posts
I think the steel mesh looks good but only looks weird because they're both going different ways. I plan on painting my bottom fairings black because they're grey silver as well. What did you use to paint them and clear coat? Did you sand it down and stuff?

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

·
I Ride
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
I think the steel mesh looks good but only looks weird because they're both going different ways. I plan on painting my bottom fairings black because they're grey silver as well. What did you use to paint them and clear coat? Did you sand it down and stuff?

Sent from Motorcycle.com App
Yeah I agree. I'm going to re-do the mesh with plastic. It was a trial/error thing. It looks good just a poor/quick execution on my part.

For the grey fairing I degreased and scuffed it up with a scotch bright pad. No sanding to avoid any swirls or scratch marks. I primed it with a plastic adhesion promoter and painted with satin black enamel. It's a flexible enamel made by a company called color extra. After the 2nd coat of paint I did a wet sand with 600 and sprayed the final coat. It dries quick and can be cleared in 2 hours. I cleared it with a 2 part (medium hard) clear from color extra as well. I sprayed 3 coats of clear. Color extra is a more professional paint and clear system I get from a shop in town, not the best but better than rattle can. Kinda expensive and of course it requires a proper compressor and gun. The paint and clear atomize well and lay smooth.

The results are professional looking.. I know the pics don't show it because I took them with my 2 year old Iphone 4. That and the lighting in the garage makes it look less than what it is. If you were to see it in person you would most likely agree.

I'm not a professional painter, still learning. But I do have some experience with it and I use quality paints and clear. No rattle can here... either way it's less expensive than paying a pro and I get experience doing it. Every time I paint I get better results.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts