Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
R6 Blues
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i'm not sure if my battery is any good or not at this point. i put the battery tender jr. on it, it doesn't seem like it's gonna charge at all, the red light just keeps on flashing after 2-3 hours of charging. i'm not sure if i try to jump the bike is gonna work cuz not sure is there any more juice left in there or not, can i jump it even the battery is totally dead?

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
i have a jr. but ive never let it run all the way down. got a yellow top otima on my vette deep cycle. and it took 24 hours on a charger. deep cycle and it still needed a jump as well. so get the battery tested sometimes dead really means DEAD.

·
zomething different
8,430 Posts
wow, this thread is back from the dead :fact

·
zomething different
8,430 Posts
well since this thread is back, i guess i'll ask my question. is it bad to jump start our bikes. in the manual it says to only slow charge it but a friend told me it's ok to jump it.

:confused:

·
ol' school.. first gen r6
254 Posts
i'm not sure if my battery is any good or not at this point. i put the battery tender jr. on it, it doesn't seem like it's gonna charge at all, the red light just keeps on flashing after 2-3 hours of charging. i'm not sure if i try to jump the bike is gonna work cuz not sure is there any more juice left in there or not, can i jump it even the battery is totally dead?
the battery tender jr. is not a charger. it's meant to keep a good battery at its optimum when the bike is not being used for an extended period of time.

·
Got street appeal?
1,656 Posts
I personally wouldn't jump start a bike because the excess current (if jump starting off a car) can blow out the diodes in the rectifier/regulator.

When a battery discharges, the sulfur from the sulfuric acid bonds with the lead plates. If the electrolyte lowers, the non-submerged sulfur bonded lead creates a solid. That is very hard to turn back into sulfuric acid and lead.... Prolly time for a new battery.

And RD rasher is correct. Battery Tender is only to maintain a battery, not recharge a deeply discharged one

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
I personally wouldn't jump start a bike because the excess current (if jump starting off a car) can blow out the diodes in the rectifier/regulator.

When a battery discharges, the sulfur from the sulfuric acid bonds with the lead plates. If the electrolyte lowers, the non-submerged sulfur bonded lead creates a solid. That is very hard to turn back into sulfuric acid and lead.... Prolly time for a new battery.

And RD rasher is correct. Battery Tender is only to maintain a battery, not recharge a deeply discharged one
:stupic

i jumped the bike that's hook up to the car.. it started the bike.. but the battery was as good as dead after... it won't even hold a charge. then spend a little cash on a scorpion battery and a good lesson..

1 - 10 of 10 Posts