Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Wannabe motorhead
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
TLDR; is the fuel level sensor in the first picture dead bcause no continuity between the wires in the green connector? and is the neutral switch in the second picture dead because of no continuity between points marked in the third picture?

Im a complete noob at testing electrical things for continuity and that so here's my question:

This is the fuel level sensor. The LED in the display works (it turns on when i turn the key). No fuse is blown. So i figured the sensor is bad.
Manual says test continuity. So put the negative and positive pole on each of the two wires inside the green connector, but no continuity. So i assume its gone bad and needs replacing? Or should i test something else before buying a new one? (It has never worked since i got it btw)

Now for question 2:

This is the neutral switch. My bike got attempted stolen and the wires comming in to the key ignition thingy got cut all at once so the main fuse went bad.
Replaced main fuse, replaced the whole damn ignition circuit (at a workshop) and now the only thing not working is either this sensor or something else, because the neutral N light in the dash does not light up when in neutral and bike dies when kickstand is lowered even while in neutral.

So, once again, manual says to check for continuity on the "neutral switch" which i assume is this thing on the picture. I have no clue how to do that so i placed my leads as shown in the picture below:

No continuity.. ( I also did it vice versa)

Does that mean that this sensor switch thingy is bad and needs replacing? Or is there something else?

I know this is a long post so thanks for reading :p

·
UR B-hind Da 8 Ball
6,380 Posts
On the neutral switch, go from the threads to where the wire plugs in (the end on the bottom in your pic)

·
UR B-hind Da 8 Ball
6,380 Posts
If you push the button on the end of the switch does it make continuity between the electrical connector and the threads? I don’t know if the switch is depressed or extended in neutral.

·
Wannabe motorhead
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
No, i tried that, no continuity when compressed (not that it compressed much).. also tried to pull on it but no results there either. ima buy a new one

but do you know whats up with the fuel level sensor? :p

edit: pin on switch diddnt really move at all

·
UR B-hind Da 8 Ball
6,380 Posts
Did you test it in the bike? With the switch screwed in and the bike in neutral, you should have continuity from the electrical connector to the engine case.

As far as the fuel level sensor, what gave you the indication it was bad in the first place? According to what you’ve said, so far, it seems like it is bad.

·
Wannabe motorhead
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Did you test it in the bike? With the switch screwed in and the bike in neutral, you should have continuity from the electrical connector to the engine case.

As far as the fuel level sensor, what gave you the indication it was bad in the first place? According to what you’ve said, so far, it seems like it is bad.
Yep, been riding "without" neutral since last autumn, never worked since the theft attempt. i think it went along with the fuse when the main wire harness into the ignition was cut, theres a video of someone explaining the same thing on youtube if you wanna see (
) exaclty the same symptoms
I'll try to ground the wire on the switch directly to the frame and see if the dash lights up and if i can crank the bike with the kickstand down

The fuel sensor has never worked (light does not come on when low on gas), but the led lights up when i turn the key so the led works. the reason i suspect its bad is cause i diddnt get continuity when i tried to measure bewteen the two cables that run into it.. not that i know if thats the correct method, but ive read online that they tend to go bad with age

·
UR B-hind Da 8 Ball
6,380 Posts
With no fuel in the tank, the float is all the way down and makes a connection. With the sender out like in your pic, it’s the same thing. You should have continuity between the wires in the plug, so yeah, I’d say it is a bad sender.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts