Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

41 - 60 of 100 Posts

·
iRun
33,318 Posts
Is this the chain/sprocket thread you have in your signature pickpocket? I'm on my phone so I can't see them

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com App
Yes.

To clear up even more confusion.

You can run just about any gearing combination you desire, so long as the chain and sprockets are of the same type. I.E. 520 chain with 520 sprockets. %30 chain with 530 sprockets.

The " standard " thing to do when changing from a 530 - 520 chain is to go the -1 +2 format. This is just the popular thing to do, not the rule, or must have deal. You can run -2 +1, -0 +4, or even -1 -1 if you desire. It's up to you which gearing you choose.
Exactly.

·
FastForward Performance
961 Posts
^^^ What he said. The 520 WEIGHT chain and sprocket is independent of the gearing ratio. You can run any gear ratio with 520, 530 or 535 weight components, provided they are all the SAME weight (for example, don't try to run 520 weight sprockets with a 530 weight chain). A buyer does not specify the PITCH of a chain-- people on this site need to stop throwing around the word "pitch" when they mean "weight".
The most common reference to chain and sprocket size is pitch, whether it is correct or not. Most buyers and sellers refer to chain size by pitch, again whether correct or not.
The term "weight" is more common in the grading of industrial or commercial chains.
Quit trying to confuse everyone.;)

·
iRun
33,318 Posts
The most common reference to chain and sprocket size is pitch, whether it is correct or not. Most buyers and sellers refer to chain size by pitch, again whether correct or not.
The term "weight" is more common in the grading of industrial or commercial chains.
Quit trying to confuse everyone.;)
I think it's more confusing to use the incorrect term for something, than the lesser-used, correct term personally... But that's just me. :shrug:

·
Tron has corrupted me
1,411 Posts
I think it's more confusing to use the incorrect term for something, than the lesser-used, correct term personally... But that's just me. :shrug:
Agreed. Whether a term is commonly used or not doesn't make it correct. Whatever term is correct is that way for a reason.

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com Free App

·
I love my R6!!
109 Posts
I changed my chain and sprockets almost a year ago. I bought a 530 vxring did chain with jt sprockets original size. I remember some1 here told me that 530 is more heavy duty.
If i had bought 520 i would have better acceleration considering i would also change the sprockets ? Something noobish.. i rode a ninja 636 2004 of a friend who had 520 chain on it when i was on full acceleration on 1st to 2nd gear the bike made a little wheelie.. My r6 will never make a wheelie on acceleration no matter what without using the clutch i mean. Does this have to do with chain ?
And one more question since 530 is more "heavy Duty" does this mean that will "charge" the motor more than a 520?

·
Sometimes..........
3,414 Posts
Okkkkk I read the entire thread and didn't find my answer lol.

I'm about to do a 520 conversion but I'm keeping the stock gearing.

How many links does the OE chain come with?

The chain i just picked up is the standard 120 links, how many links will I have to remove?

Thanks in advance.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
My Mind,My World
529 Posts
Okkkkk I read the entire thread and didn't find my answer lol.

I'm about to do a 520 conversion but I'm keeping the stock gearing.

How many links does the OE chain come with?

The chain i just picked up is the standard 120 links, how many links will I have to remove?

Thanks in advance.

I did a 520 conversion on mine with -1 in the front and stock rear. If I remember right we removed 3 links, but double check it to make sure you'll have plenty of adjustment.

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

·
My Mind,My World
529 Posts
Get your sprockets on, get the wheel back on and pushed up in the swing arm. Then route the chain, pull it up tight by hand and mark it with a sharpie. Leave yourself some room to adjust it. I'll count the links on my when I get home.

·
Sometimes..........
3,414 Posts

·
My Mind,My World
529 Posts
Looks like I was a little off. 116 links. And I have it set at about the middle of the swing arm after adjusting it. Remember adjust it, then take a short ride and recheck it should need readjusted after the short ride. Leave yourself some adjustment room.

·
Sometimes..........
3,414 Posts
Looks like I was a little off. 116 links. And I have it set at about the middle of the swing arm after adjusting it. Remember adjust it, then take a short ride and recheck it should need readjusted after the short ride. Leave yourself some adjustment room.

Thanks bro. Appreciate the help.

·
My Mind,My World
529 Posts

·
FastForward Performance
961 Posts
It's funny that chain sizes are nearly all sized in fractional increments.... by 1/8s. EX: 520 chain has a 5/8 pitch, and a 3/8 width. That's where the 53 comes from. The 0 is a decimal, applied to the # of 1/8s in the width.
525 chain is still 5/8 pitch. but the width is 2.5 1/8s... Or 5/16".
415 (125 roadrace) is 4/8 (1/2") pitch and 1.5 1/8s ... or 3/16 wide

Just saying...

·
FairladyZ33
207 Posts
Great info. I am about to attempt this repair/replacement project for the first time. I want to do the 520 -1/+1. When purchasing, it asks how many teeth I want for each sprocket. So my question is how many teeth are on the stock front sprocket, and how many teeth are on the stock rear sprocket, and I will subtract and add 1 accordingly. I don't recall reading that in this thread.

Also what is a decent chain breaker / rivet tool.

Thanks in advance!!!

·
Tron has corrupted me
1,411 Posts
Did the 520 kit with a -1/+2 the other day. Didn't wanna pay a shop idiot and I didn't have a chain rivet tool. Ended up buying a chain breaker from Harbor Freight and made it work without any outside modification. Came out really nice, though the tool was permanently bent in the process. Oh well, it was like $15.

41 - 60 of 100 Posts