Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so i took my bike up to Yamaha because i had a leaking radiator after my wreck. when i laid it down the left fork took impact and dented right at the seal. the guys up at yamaha said that i shouldnt be driving the bike at all due to the fork. it was going to cost about 1500$ to replace. i dont know where to find only one fork. the only place i could find them was on ebay and they only come as a pair. i had rode the bike one time since the wreck and that was when i noticed the radiator leaking, but the alignment was normal and there was no way you could tell the fork was even damaged. what do you guys think?:toocool:

·
Stanly the Manly
935 Posts
Yes, it should be replaced :(. post a pic if you want to get some second opinions but it sounds like its dented in the worst possible spot. Thats not to say it wont ride for a little while, but I could see it ruining the rest of the inner workings. The forks are rebuildable - if nothing else, you can have a dealership or shop replace just the fork tube. Or better yet, keep scanning ebay and do it yourself.

also, you may want to try searching for motorcycle salvage sites.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yeah i was thinking that it would at least start to leak if it was real bad, but nothing is coming from the seal. i was hoping i could at least ride it the rest of the this year before i winterize it. they said it was like a coke can, how there strong until i gets a dent then after that they could just collapse if you rode the front brake too hard. :eek5 when i get it back from them next week i will for sure post some pics of it and try to get a second opinion.

·
"Krypton"
1,086 Posts
personally, I would ride it and look for a set on ebay in the meantime... but then again I am an idiot LOL

We really would need to see it to give the best advise, but im sure the "best" advise is it needs to be replaced.

·
Registered
71 Posts
yeah i was thinking that it would at least start to leak if it was real bad, but nothing is coming from the seal. i was hoping i could at least ride it the rest of the this year before i winterize it. they said it was like a coke can, how there strong until i gets a dent then after that they could just collapse if you rode the front brake too hard. :eek5 when i get it back from them next week i will for sure post some pics of it and try to get a second opinion.

Depending on how bad the dent is, it should be fine to ride. However as you stated above. The dent is where the seal is; eventually it will start to leak fork oil. I would fix it soon.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I would hate to go down again, its such a headache tryin to get it put back together. Do you guys know where i could find forks other than ebay?

·
"Krypton"
1,086 Posts
Depending on how bad it is you can probably fix it.

The price from DGY.com for an outer tube is about $170. Then the labor to do the work. If you have any mechanical ability you can probably do it yourself. If you do not, take it to a SUSPENSION shop, NOT the local dealer. A suspension shop will probably do the work for about $100 ESPECIALLY if you just bring them the fork and they dont have to take it off the bike. you will need to get seals and bushings and whatnot too which will run under $50 based on the diagram at DGY

·
"Krypton"
1,086 Posts
Also, chances are it dented it right at the dust seal. There are 2 seals in there, the dust that you can see and the oil above it. If it is just dented at the dust seal you have not hurt the structural integrity at all its past the point of torsion.

·
drag some knee
494 Posts
1500 bucks ? wtf i have a set id sell you for 425 shipped there basicly new

no i wont just sell one

but to your delima if its dented replace it... its a very important part of your bike and you need it to function properly

you can ride it leaking but i dnt recommend it

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
well with it being dented could it break while im on the bike?? Has anyone ever seen one brreak and cause the front wheel to come loose. Thats what the yamaha guys are sayin and im not sure if its a sales pitch or if its not safe to drive. im gonna try to go tomorrow to the shop and get some pictures that way yall can see the damage, i know its hard to say without seeing it. but the dent is the size of nickle right at the seal.

·
drag some knee
494 Posts
I have seen a fork come apart, but it was a very bad crash but just riding it I highly dout it would come apart.. There designed to not come apart unless taken apart.. The only thing you would need to watch for is it leaking all it's fluid

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
thanks for all the replies! I was able to get one from a salvage yard in tifton ga for 300 bucks shipped! im gonna try to find a local suspension shop to give me a good deal on swappin um out for me.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts