Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I crashed last weekend and my rear set flexed enough to put a dent in my swing arm. Wondering if this is still safe to ride or should I replace it?

Registered
I put my bike on a rear stand, start it, put it in first gear, then use a "borrowed" pill bottle to dribble-stream some 10w-30 on the inside loop of the chain. OEM cogs, chain have more that 65k on them.

The rusty chain issue aside, I doubt that dent compromises the structural integrity of that swing arm at all. Just periodically check for cracking.

I'm not an expert though. Probably wouldn't hurt to have a bike shop do a once-over though. Make sure that your critical fasteners are torqued, triple-tree is trued-up and such.

YZFR6... ooodles of HP
If it doesn't crack, probably fine.

Registered
Hard to tell in the pic, but ya if its punctured or cracked then I would replace or repair the swingarm. If theres a tear you can just have a metal fabricator or any good tig welder. Open up the crack and weld, then you can use a flap sand wheel on an angle grinder, smooth it all out, and use body filler on top, sand, prime and paint it with glass black.

Looks like it's out of reach of your rearsets. Also looks like Bondo residue and a non-factory paint job. I assume that you bought he bike used... Rather than denting in the crash, you might have popped out the Bondo from a prior repair.

UR B-hind Da 8 Ball
Looks like it's out of reach of your rearsets. Also looks like Bondo residue and a non-factory paint job. I assume that you bought he bike used... Rather than denting in the crash, you might have popped out the Bondo from a prior repair.
Ding ding ding! We have a winner!馃槂

That dent was already there before your accident.

Registered
I just assumed that he had already replaced his rearset (with a smaller/different one) before taking the photo. But I'm not sure how a bondo-prepped surface is supposed to look.

UR B-hind Da 8 Ball
I just assumed that he had already replaced his rearset (with a smaller/different one) before taking the photo. But I'm not sure how a bondo-prepped surface is supposed to look.
The Bondo is still in the pics around the perimeter of the dent under the paint.

Registered
Funny how I didnt spot that, now that you guys mentioned it the paint on the swingarm looks to shiny. Its been resprayed

1 - 9 of 9 Posts