Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I suppose you could call this a little rant, but maybe some pople will agree. I am 17 almost 18 and just got a 2003 r6, pretty good condition. My dad has been riding sportbikes and still does for 30 years, and currently has 5 bikes. I am only allowed to ride when he is with me still. I've come to understand why he is doing this, but my buddies don't. To many kids are getting killed on bikes by doing dumb shit. Getting brand new bikes and just trashing them by doing wheelies/stunting in general. What is wrong with people? Every bike you see now that back tire has no tread on it from burning out, shit is broken, dented scratched and wrecked. The first thing that comes out of peoples mouths when you talk about bikes is do you stunt etc etc. Is that all there is with bikes now? My dad is more into road racing/back roads/turns and I took a liking to that. Not sure if its much safer, I suppose its who you ask that question to. Not saying stunting is bad, but why do it to a nice bike? People just trash there bikes and don't even care. I don't think its just me that has noticed this..just curious to see some other peoples views on it.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I know what you mean. I've only had mine since late March, and I'd say at least a half-dozen people have already asked to see a wheelie or burnout. My pat excuse was "No. I'm still breaking it in".

Some guy at work just this week, apparently looking for some motivation to lose some weight, wanted to make a bet with me that if he doesn't lose 20 lbs by the end of next month he'd give me $100. If he did, I had to ride a wheelie through the parking lot. Nope, not gonna trash my bike (and probably myself and someone's car) for a lousy hundred bucks.

·
im back
2,803 Posts
when it comes to what you say about how people ask only about stunting when you bring up bikes, i agree. thats how you can tell the people whod only do it cus its trendy or whatever.
as for people trashing their bikes to stunt...i guess its their money and they can do with it what they want. i love twisties and wheelies but id only "stunt" on backroads etc. so i guess it depends on the level of responsibility/maturity of the rider. i dont have a bike anymore and would love to take someones bike off their hands...:fact

·
My R6 shoots tequila
1,487 Posts
Trust me bro, you arent the only one who feels that way. This squid pulled up next to me the other day and challenged me to a "wheelie contest." IMO bikes should be enjoyed on twisties and taken care of. I do occasional wheelies, but its not near as fun as ripping up a canyon! Enjoy your bike man, and dont worry about the dumbasses.

·
Registered
592 Posts
So I suppose you could call this a little rant, but maybe some pople will agree. I am 17 almost 18 and just got a 2003 r6, pretty good condition. My dad has been riding sportbikes and still does for 30 years, and currently has 5 bikes. I am only allowed to ride when he is with me still. I've come to understand why he is doing this, but my buddies don't. To many kids are getting killed on bikes by doing dumb shit. Getting brand new bikes and just trashing them by doing wheelies/stunting in general. What is wrong with people? Every bike you see now that back tire has no tread on it from burning out, shit is broken, dented scratched and wrecked. The first thing that comes out of peoples mouths when you talk about bikes is do you stunt etc etc. Is that all there is with bikes now? My dad is more into road racing/back roads/turns and I took a liking to that. Not sure if its much safer, I suppose its who you ask that question to. Not saying stunting is bad, but why do it to a nice bike? People just trash there bikes and don't even care. I don't think its just me that has noticed this..just curious to see some other peoples views on it.

Consider yourself one LMF, your dad wants to let you enjoy you the privalige of the joys of motorcycles but also wants you to enjoy the experience for your ENTIRE life.... I am trying to do the same for my son:) Your dad is a smart man:yes Props to him!!

·
Who eats a motorcycle?
3,096 Posts
i hear ya!
i knwo a 17 year old kid that rides a cbr, looks gross. benged up, signals dont work. just really a peice of crap (and i like the RRs!). you look at my bike, it looks brand new

·
Atom Smasher
861 Posts
Good for your dad for being that way.

You just may be one of the smarter/responsible 17 year old kids out there and by the sounds of it I don't think we will be reading a RIP Insaneman 1731 thread, keep it up.

·
Premium Member
1,668 Posts
That's why professional stunters have stunt bikes, and their nice bikes. Also they don't use their Mommy and Daddies credit card...

·
Registered
27 Posts
Its all about respect, if they cant respect it, it will get taken to the great super bike junkyard in the sky. Where i shall revive it and bring forth new life. Im at my local bike shop weekly cuz I ride with those guy a lot, almost daily i see those new kids come in and finance a new bike, then hear about them jacking it up that weekened. Hell, Im about to pick up another project bike this weekend from a kid who trashed it with only 50miles on the clock, a Buell xb12r for 5g's. Ohh man, let them buy new bikes, i will be their to pick up the pieces.

·
Registered
330 Posts
That's why professional stunters have stunt bikes, and their nice bikes. Also they don't use their Mommy and Daddies credit card...
Nothing wrong with enjoying the financial freedoms of your parents when you are young, as long as you can respect it. Once you begin life on your own, the bills don't stop coming!

Shouldn't you take the 848 out of you're Avatar (totaled right????):sing

·
Super MOD
4,915 Posts
i enjoy dumping my bike. its kinda fun, when you dont get hurt. i hava cage on mine and am learning slow wheelies and other things. i've definetly got my money out of my bike with having 30k on the clock. newer used bike next year so this ones just got to last me till the end of the season. and no, i bought it myself

·
Crapper was full...
2,109 Posts
I blame Jason Britton and the crap that he hosts called, "Superbikes!"

1 - 14 of 14 Posts