Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I was working on the bike today getting it ready for the track and may have finally solved my brake issue. I hopped on the bike on the stand and started it up and wanted to play around with the quick shifter a bit and the GP shift because it's completely opposite to my street bikes. I quick shifted through a few gears and rev match downshifted to get the feel for it niiizzee. It seemed ok with it so I got a bit more daring and raised the RPM's up to some of what I would see at the track. All of a sudden I hear this clack clack clack sound. I shifted to neutral and it's still there. The bike is equipped with a slipper clutch which I'm pretty unfamiliar with. Did I perhaps piss off the slipper or have I completely broken something inside the gearbox? It's a 2003 R6 with a Power commander quick shifter. Not sure what brand the slipper clutch is. If I have managed to break something I think I may give up on wrenching on the track bikes for my own safety and let the professionals handle them from now on. :)

·
Ow ,NuckenFuts
1,070 Posts
So I was working on the bike today getting it ready for the track and may have finally solved my brake issue. I hopped on the bike on the stand and started it up and wanted to play around with the quick shifter a bit and the GP shift because it's completely opposite to my street bikes. I quick shifted through a few gears and rev match downshifted to get the feel for it niiizzee. It seemed ok with it so I got a bit more daring and raised the RPM's up to some of what I would see at the track. All of a sudden I hear this clack clack clack sound. I shifted to neutral and it's still there. The bike is equipped with a slipper clutch which I'm pretty unfamiliar with. Did I perhaps piss off the slipper or have I completely broken something inside the gearbox? It's a 2003 R6 with a Power commander quick shifter. Not sure what brand the slipper clutch is. If I have managed to break something I think I may give up on wrenching on the track bikes for my own safety and let the professionals handle them from now on. :)
Explain more, does it still shift? Id so is it smoth ? How does the clutch feel? I think I read that you were doing this with no load on the bike, up on the rear stand?...maby a video?

"It just doesn't matter"

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Explain more, does it still shift? Id so is it smoth ? How does the clutch feel? I think I read that you were doing this with no load on the bike, up on the rear stand?...maby a video?

"It just doesn't matter"
Bike still shifts and rides. Just the clack clack clack noise in all of the gears. In neutral with the clutch in the clack clack clack goes away. I took it on a quick ride around my subdivision but since I don't have registration could only get the bike up to about 30mph tops. It was on the rear stand when I was being stupid. I was hoping that I just pissed off the slipper clutch but it may be more serious than that. :/

I'm thinking of hauling the whole mass of parts I have and the bike up to the local race shop and see what they can do with the darn thing. The hate for this machine is building fast which is never a good thing. I have been fighting with this bike off and on since October.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Might be worth having a look. On the other hand I'm in a hurry to get this thing ready to go so it might be worthwhile just hauling it in. One thing I'm glad for is this happened in the driveway rather than at the track. :)

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Betcha' a bottle of windex, and a half eaten Moon pie (double stacked) that its a warped or broken clutch plate:popcorn:
That's what the mechanic said when he heard the racket when the bike was running. I had a whole ton of other little issues and not a lot of time to deal with them so I just hauled it in.

I'm in the middle of replacing a clutch pushrod on my FZR400 so opening up the side covers does not really bother me much. Its just the time. Never enough and I need this bike done by May so I can use it when I go to the California Superbike School.

I'll let you guys know what I broke in about 3 weeks when I get the bike back. They are pretty buried with track bikes at the moment. :)

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Good deal man: Your FZR stock? I'm currently building a Frankenstein- FZR 400 frame, FZR600 engine, R1 forks, 05 r6 swing arm 07 shock... Hope to track the ugly thing eventually.
Mine's a 400/600 hybrid. I have the 600 powerplant, 600 forks and brakes and a fox twin clicker in the rear. It's an ex racer and has been a BLAST on track days. It's a bit down on power in comparison to some of the modern bikes but I have a lot of fun regardless.

A photo of me having the time of my life in the rain.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
At the moment though mine's turned into a project because I snapped the shift pushrod coming out of the Museum turn at Barber. Heard a big boom and suddenly no clutch. The rod is stuck in the tunnel at the moment because it mushroomed a bit inside. Going to free it soon with a stainless steel dowel and a sledgehammer. :)

·
Weeeeeeeeeeeee
1,652 Posts
My buddies r1 with aftermarket slipper clicks just like you say. There's nothing wrong with it. Says its normal.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.