Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here are some pics. Bitch getting the filter off withouth the proper tool. Used the screwdriver method. I really need a stand now too. I'll be picking up a little remover later..

The k&n was a bitch to install. Couldnt get the ruber to sit right in the grooves. It kept bunching up. Ened up having to tape the thing down to the sidewalls. Took a lot of finesse, but got it to work. Filled the bike up with Motul liquid dinosaur. At first I didnt think there was a difference with the K & N, but after a couple hard runs, it seemed to pick up a dab of grunt in the midrange, and top. Didnt sound any louder than I noticed, but my wolf slip on is loud as hell to begin with. Power commander should be here soon.

damn, cant host pics on damnet. oh well, pics to come

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
OK, here are the pics. paid for pic hosting service...

The scene as I started: came to a hault as i couldnt remove the damn oil filter with my current tools.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
to a hault as i couldnt remove the damn filter with my current tools.

So I decided to let the oil drip out completely and attack the filter

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
K & N in, note that the rubber seal does not sit flush. Took a lot of f*cking around to get it right, so it was a good seal without it bunching up.

Here again you can see towards the left that the rubber is pushed in, as it doesnt quite fit. Also, my method of holding the tank up :) One vent line got disconnected but it was an easy reconnect. Rest of the 8 lines or so had enough slack

Here you can see my solution.. electrical tape holding down the rubber seal to the airbox..

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Last but not least, the fate of my oil filter and filter wrench... i will be getting the correct tool!

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
Get rid of the K&N and get a BMC! Look how much more surface area the stock filter has compared to the K&N.

Also, that K&N is for a 99-02 R6. I'm pretty sure the '03 K&N design had been changed, could be your fitting problem.

You'll also need a custom mapping to actually gain from a filter, especially the BMC, i had to richen my '03 up a liberal amount.

Looks good though.

When proping up your tank, i use some string and tie off to a spot in the trunk, works pretty good that way, and doesnt leave a block in the way :cheers

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yeti said:
:hammer
yeah thats about what my filter looked like the first time i changed the oil
I just soiled myself watching your avatar.. ive seen that many places :hump :jump

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
RedlineR6 said:
Get rid of the K&N and get a BMC! Look how much more surface area the stock filter has compared to the K&N.

Also, that K&N is for a 99-02 R6. I'm pretty sure the '03 K&N design had been changed, could be your fitting problem.

You'll also need a custom mapping to actually gain from a filter, especially the BMC, i had to richen my '03 up a liberal amount.

Looks good though.

When proping up your tank, i use some string and tie off to a spot in the trunk, works pretty good that way, and doesnt leave a block in the way :cheers
Those fuckers, I told them that was the case. They swore that this was the right one..

·
Registered
43 Posts
I also butchered my oil filter first time, I promptly went and got a Oil filter removal tool. Most recently I switched to a K & N oil filter that has a nut on the end of it so you can use a socket, 10mm or 11mm I recall.

Yeti-If that is your lady, she is the bomb! Any more pictures posted elsewhere?

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
Yeti-If that is your lady, she is the bomb! Any more pictures posted elsewhere?
It's not. I've seen her on the net for a couple years now. A couple of people on a local car forum have her on theirs also.

Tough to stop looking at her though.... :hammer

·
Registered
182 Posts
RedlineR6 said:

Looks good though.

I also just changed my filters and spark plugs. I also got the same K&N filter and it said for 99-03 R6. On the 03, I had to cut a round piece from the filter that were design to fit the 99-02 I guess.

Yeah, it was kind of hard to get the filter align properly but at the end I got it. I should have removed the air filter box to perform the air filter install because I had to do it anyway to replace the spark plugs.

Redline, I also use string (speaker wire) to tire the tank back to the passenger bracket. That give me all the clearance and I don't have to worry about the tank falling and hurt myself.

Brav, good job on posting the pictures and writeup.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.