Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
2007 Yamaha R6S
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I work at a store that sells motorcycle gear, tires, and accessories. I asked by boss why we didn't sell too many 120/60-17's. He told me that not many sport bikes use them very much. I told him that is the tire for my bike (07 R6S). He was surprised to see that 05 and below used 120/60-17's.

Long story short. What differences will I experience if I change to a 120/70-17?

·
Hey...watch this
574 Posts
Your speedometer will be accurate and the bike will turn-in quicker.
You'll probably like it.

·
UR B-hind Da 8 Ball
5,863 Posts
Actually, turn in will be slightly slower (unless you drop the forks about 5 mm) and the speedo will not be affected because it is off of the output shaft on the transmission. But you get a bit better edge grip at lean angle.

On a side note, you’ll probably find you need to slot the fender mounting holes so the tire doesn’t rub on the front fender

·
2007 Yamaha R6S
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Actually, turn in will be slightly slower (unless you drop the forks about 5 mm) and the speedo will not be affected because it is off of the output shaft on the transmission. But you get a bit better edge grip at lean angle.

On a side note, you’ll probably find you need to slot the fender mounting holes so the tire doesn’t rub on the front fender
Noted and thank you. Very good information to know

·
Hey...watch this
574 Posts

My bad. I was thinking rear tire. Carry on...

·
Registered
2,907 Posts
nobody back in the day used the 60/17. after the front was done everyone went with a 70/17. you wont have to modify the fender. that was necessary on the 99-02(first gen)
once you try the 70 you will never go back

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
Interesting. I'm on stock tire size setup. Baring adverse condition such as sand at an intersection, I've only detected rear tire slip for max-grip lean. When I look at front versus rear, the front seems to have considerable more wrap. (side tread) Don't imagine there being the possibility of having too much grip on the front, but it seems the principal behind current design choice is sufficient.

Based on comments, it's just the improved feel, possible responsiveness, that may make the larger sidewall preferable. It may be that one is able to maintain that better feel you get with a fresh set of V-shaped tires, longer, on the larger sidewall. Center tread wears and tires get the U or ╰╯ shape, requiring more lean-in, resulting with lower peak cornering speeds, less responsiveness.

·
Registered
2,907 Posts
Interesting. I'm on stock tire size setup. Baring adverse condition such as sand at an intersection, I've only detected rear tire slip for max-grip lean. When I look at front versus rear, the front seems to have considerable more wrap. (side tread) Don't imagine there being the possibility of having too much grip on the front, but it seems the principal behind current design choice is sufficient.

Based on comments, it's just the improved feel, possible responsiveness, that may make the larger sidewall preferable. It may be that one is able to maintain that better feel you get with a fresh set of V-shaped tires, longer, on the larger sidewall. Center tread wears and tires get the U or ╰╯ shape, requiring more lean-in, resulting with lower peak cornering speeds, less responsiveness.
the 70 provides more lean angle. I can run out of lean angle on a 60 riding on the street relatively easy. the 70 feels much more planted while leaned over more. the only time I can get a 70 to it's edge is on a track and probably close to 55 degree lean angles.

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/48790802606_719aab33e4_o.jpg

1 - 9 of 9 Posts