Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i just put on a pirelli tire on the back and still have the dunlop 207 on the front. the guys at the shop said that the pirelli is a bit softer than the dunlop so the front will push a bit in the twisties. i dont really think it is that big of a deal though considering racers use different compounds all of the time. also in a wet/dry race sometimes they will put a rain front with a dot rear and that has to be way different. i know they are pros and everything but it just doesnt seem like a big deal to me. i went on a pretty long ride this weekend and didnt really notice a difference beside that it handled better with the new rear.

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
i have a Metzeler MEZ4 on the back with the stock 207 up front. The rear is a harder compound. Yea there is a major difference in the way that the bike handles, but it doesn't take long to get used to it and adjust.

Before you go nuts on the new tire, break it in for a few miles. Gradually take turns deeper and deeper, you can tell how deep you are taking the turns by looking at the tire after you ride.

Once you get near the rails, taking it easy, you should be sufficiently broke in.

·
Registered
831 Posts
I have a few freinds that have mix matched tires. They have not had any problems. Personaly I wouldn't do it. I am probably just wasting my money, but it makes me feal safe.

Anyone ever ride with plugs in your tires?

I have a couple of times. But I am not going to do it unless it is the only way to get from point a to b!

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
man i would never ride for more than a couple of miles with plugs in my tires. the break in period isnt really that bad as long as you dont go put your knee down in your first little while. if the tires are at least warmed up they grip a lot better anyway.

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
I have a plug in my back tire. The tire rides just like it would without a plug. There is a different type of plug used for bike tires. They are AMA certified. The part on the inside of the tire is very large and is vulcanized to the tire. Basically is is bonded to the rubber and becomes part of the tire.

My hole was the size of a screw, but I guess you can pach holes up to the size of a finger.

I was skeptical at first and took it easy on the tire, breaking it in slowly (the tire was brand new when it got the hole). I started leaning VERY gradually to test the plug.

Now I ride the rails on the curves and top the bike out on the highway and sometimes forget that the tire has a plug.

If I have any problems, I will let you all know, but so far, so good.

ALWAYS WEAR A HELMET!!!!!!
ALWAYS.......

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
alright thats cool ill tell my buddy who got a nail in his tire then just put a new one on. save a couple of hundred bucks for something else once this one wears out.

·
Registered
831 Posts
What brand of plug is that? Where do you get them?
My local Yamaha dealer will not plug a tire at all. So when I did it, I had to settle for the car type plugs.

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
I dont know the brand of the plug, I will try to find out and post it in the product section.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts