Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
im sure some of you (especially 1st gens) have notice how long our throttle throw is. its annoying having to regrip to go wide open without twisting your wrist all over the place. there are mods to improve the throttle throw, but this one is very cheap and safe and it works the same exact way as the stock setup. feel free to call it african engineering, shit, ive done plenty of that back in the day lmao.

i woke up today around noon and started drinking apple cider and goldschlager (very good btw) and inteding t0 check my valve clearances to see whether i jut needed a few shims or to order a shim kit. so after checking the valves, turned out everything in spec i was determined not to have my day off turn into a waste of a day without a single bike mod. so i went to lowes to pick up some stuff for the quick throttle mod, along with a 6 pack.

heres the supplies needed for the mod. very cheap and easy. i needed a 1" pcv pipe coupler, some epoxy, and some rough sandpaper (i got 60 grit). take apart your throttle housing (very easy, 3 bolts for the housing and an allen for the bar end, and if you cant figure this out, you shouldnt be messing with the throttle linkage to be honest)

first thing you do is cut off a piece of the pcv coupler that as wide as the white throttle cam on the handle. if its a little wider, thats fine. i used a hacksaw because at this point i been drinking for a good 4 hours, and using power tools would guarantee me to cut my hand off. besides, a hacksaw cuts thru pvc like hot knife thru butter

figure out how much of the pcv ring you need to cut out to make it fit over the throttle cam. doesnt have to be perfect, as long as you can wrap the leftover of the pcv ring over the throttle cam

cut out the piece of the pcv that you dont need, then grab a file/dremel/whatever and taper down the 2 new ends. dont have to taper them down to an edge, just get them close. by now, if you didnt see how this would work, you should

now grab your sandpaper and sand the outside of the throttle cam and inside of the pcv. its essential that this joint is glued very good, because if the pcv ring comes off, if could jam the throttle open and you could die so scuff up both glued surface real good, grab your epoxy, mix it up and glue the pcv ring to the outside of the throttle cam. make sure its lined up good with the back side of the throttle cam (youll file off the shit sticking out past the front in the next step). clean up the excess epoxy with a paper towel and let it sit for however long it says.

after its dry, grab your file and file away the pcv thats sticking out over the edge. then with your hacksaw and a thin file, cut a new groove for the throttle cable in the pcv ring. i cut mine deep enough to have just about the entire cable buried in the groove, the stock groove is pretty deep

last step is to make sure it fits in your throttle housing and doesnt bind up. theres a notch in there that stops the throttle from going all the way around, but you dont want it binding up at all anywhere else, once again, the throttle could jam open and you could die.

reassemble the throttle housing, set your throttle cable slack and your done. enjoy your snappier throttle that you dont need to regrip anymore. take it easy til you get used it it, if you crash and die because you went wide open accidentaly, power wheelied, looped and died, its not my fault.

id love to test ride it to see how awesome it is, but a. im a 6pack and 4 glasses of goldschlager down, and b. my bike is growing jackstands in the garage, torn apart for the winter.

enjoy.

·
Registered
790 Posts
So you are saying that you have 20 or so shots of alcohol before working on your bike? Good luck surviving your next ride. EDIT: I also think this should be deleted with the references to drugs and drunk driving.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hey the bike is down for the year, its not like I'm drinking and riding. I was pretty drunk when I wrote the diy, but this is a mod I read about on other forums and it sounds like a great mod that's very cheap and works awesome. I'm a broke college kid that knows how to wrench and fabricate and shit, I built a head stand attachment for my front stand, cost me 12 dollars in 1" square tubing from lowes. Not as pretty as a pitbull stand but it works. Doing shit and saving money is the name of the game lol

·
Ya wheelies is garbage!
5,935 Posts
So you are saying that you have 20 or so shots of alcohol before working on your bike? Good luck surviving your next ride. EDIT: I also think this should be deleted with the references to drugs and drunk driving.
Stoned driving, get it right.:sing:lmao Hey atleast he was probably driving the speed limit or slower, being very observant on the look for cops, and brake cheaking anytime he spotted a car with a luggage rack.....:lmao

I can't hate on him. I drink when I work on my bike, but not liquor. Probably could have left some of that out of the how to, but eh whatever he's drunk and it's not like this is a formal/professional document.

As for the mod could you not plastic weld the PVC on there? I just don't like epoxy it just never bonds as well as I expect it to. Maybe I just buy the crap kind or do it wrong.:dunce:

·
Official Noob Greeter
55,856 Posts
I have done this mod on three bikes and I can vouch for it. Probably the best track mod I've made other than suspension tuning, brake lines, and decent rubber. Absolutely killer mod for like $10.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
lmao i was pretty drunk when i posted it, i was definitely hitting backspace a lot. i went thru and cleaned it up. and personally, it grows in the ground, its not a drug its a plant, but thats a topic for a different discussion.

i read about this mod on a bunch of forums (google quick turn throttle mod and youll get all kinds of stuff) and the PVC method works awesome, and its dirt cheap. i couldve went and ordered a R1 throttle tube, but the dealership is across town whereas lowes is around the block, and it was one of those days where you wake up itching to wrench on something. besides, what else is there to do on a monday afternoon besides drink and wrench on shit.

feedback sounds like peoples bikes feel like they geared up a couple teeth, which they obviously didnt but from the throttle opening more for a given twist of the wrist, i can see why. i just hated having to regrip or roll my wrist way under to go wide open. yes this will make the throttle more touchy, but shouldnt be hard to get used to, so if i do dump my bike because i was stupid on the throttle in the rain or something, thats my own damn fault and i deserve to get pointed at and laughed. another good thing is that this doesnt make the throttle on/off, just shortens the throw 20-30 percent, depending how thick of PCV coupler you have or how deep you cut the channel for the cable

·
Premium Member
30,458 Posts
i nearly did this mod myself - but didn't trust my handiwork enough to bet my life on it. so i just bought a motion pro quick turn throttle kit.

interesting write up though - seems to me though i've seen those exact pics on another site somewhere that redisdead pointed me to when i was looking at doing the pvc mod.

·
CCS #164
404 Posts
awesome mod. ill have to do that this winter since my bike is torn down too and i have those exact type of days where you just wanna wrench on your bike.

dunno why anyone would care if he had some alcohol/other substances while doing this... shit, caffeine makes me do crappy work on my bike whereas the others only help it (in moderation of course lol)

·
My Bonneville eats me.
1,030 Posts
yeah i don't know why everyone is hating on drinking while doing work on your bike. i as well as a bunch of people i know have a few beers when i/we are working on our cars. it keeps you from getting wound up and frustrated IMO.

·
let her scream
71 Posts
this is the kind of shit that pisses people off, why do people that say stupid shit have to comment. i for one liked the DIY so instead of saying it should be deleted how about you just not look at it. and by the way there was no drug reference.

·
Ya wheelies is garbage!
5,935 Posts
this is the kind of shit that pisses people off, why do people that say stupid shit have to comment. i for one liked the DIY so instead of saying it should be deleted how about you just not look at it. and by the way there was no drug reference.
Well he said he got stoned, but removed it. Though kinda funny to have a guy by the name of budboarder to complain about a "bud" reference.:lmao

Alright back to the mod. :YEA

·
Registered
733 Posts
How much throw is required for WOT? Also, would the groove for the cable tear/damage the cable over a period of time? Just curious...

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
How much throw is required for WOT? Also, would the groove for the cable tear/damage the cable over a period of time? Just curious...
1. too much. either you have to regrip to go WOT or roll your wrist way under. my throttle throw is so long, that if i want to go WOT without regripping, i pretty much have to lay on the tank and bend my wrist as far back as it will go and only then itll go wide open.

2. i highly doubt a plastic ring is gonna hurt a steel cable in any way shape or form

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Would love to but my bike is in pieces all over the garage and basement.won't know til after I put it back together

·
crashing aint so bad
2,271 Posts
i have done the same thing with super glue and zip ties. It works better that way. much cleaner and the zip side of the tie is a built in cable guide. not to mention you can do the mod for under $5 that way.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts