Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have had my permit for awhile now but my best friend just got a bike a week ago and wants to take the MSF class. He is telling me to take the class so i can learn and save on insurance.

I know ill learn a some stuff but i honestly dont wanna pay the 200+... people have told me its a class mostly for people between 18-20...

okay MAIN POINT... overall is MSF worth it or should i just go to the DMV?

anyone take the class and has any feedback?

·
Registered
7,662 Posts
I went to the DMV to get my endorsement...and later took the MSF. I took the MSF strictly for the education. I recommend it

·
Registered
160 Posts
+ discount on insurance.

·
Deep Thinker
927 Posts
The MSF course is a good place to learn maneuvers and basic riding skill. I highly recommend it. I took it for the 3 reasons stated above: Experience, Endorsement, and to save money on insurance. I only got the first two, since I later found out that State Farm doesn't offer a discount for taking the MSF course. But it was still worth every penny.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Agree...MSF is definitely worth the time!!!

·
Registered
298 Posts
If you know you can take the DMV test with 10 mins of practive and pass it first try, go for it. If you cant, than take the MSF.

·
Living between the cars
8,630 Posts
To me the DMV test was designed for a 1930's Harley. I will pay 200+ for knowledge and my waiver for the DMV test. Im taking mine first weekend in August.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I took the Harley Davidson riders edge and I learned alot about basic riding. It helped my out with my slow tight figure eights. I recommend it to everyone starting out.

·
Has Gold & A Pager
287 Posts
Take it! it's worth every penny, atleast mines was.

·
Registered
140 Posts
it was 80 bucks for me. but i left there with 10X the confidence i had when i started the weekend. take it for the lessons. the license is a bonus.

·
Registered
238 Posts
If you know you can take the DMV test with 10 mins of practive and pass it first try, go for it. If you cant, than take the MSF.
+1, if you can pass first or second try then go for it at the DMV. Then the MSF will be an option to take at your leisure...:toocool:

Plus can't you get free certificates from Yamaha when you purchase your bike to take the course. I took the ERC while in the military for free, plus here in IL the state provides the course for a $20 registration fee that you get back when you take the course. The Air Force Base also offers the courses for free if military of DOD affiliated.

·
Crapper was full...
2,109 Posts
The MSF is mandatory here in Florida now...
That's great, they should make it mandatory nation wide, but you know there would be way too many cry babies.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts