Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
963 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm not sure if this is true, so I figure I'll ask you all. I've heard that getting a full exhaust system for the R6 will reduce the amount of torque you get? Is this true?

And if it is true, can someone explain how that is? And could you explain it like you were trying to explain it to a six year old?

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
Ed said:
And could you explain it like you were trying to explain it to a six year old?
hahahaha

i feel like that a lot of times when asking technical questions about shit i dont know

·
Registered
13 Posts
Uhhh...

This is the best way I can explain it. NO. This can easily be proven by:
a.) Dyno Charts and...
b.) Racing Bikes... (they wouldn't do it if it did not work)

The main thing to remember is that it is best to mod the bike with a Jet Kit/ PCIII before modifying the exhaust. If you dont then you will reduce the back pressure on the engine which can harm your engine. Ifyou do the carb mod then it can be tweaked later to run with the exhaust. This is what I have been told by more that one shop. Take this for what its worth to ya. Hope it helped.

Xeno :usa

·
Registered
329 Posts
Actually some do in some places - the simple answer

A full race system will often change the torque curve - not necessarily lower torque but change the places where peak torque and peak power occur - it's that old idea that race systems move the power more to the top end than the mid range - though many design factors will effect that.

If you draw a kind of flat rainbow curve on a piece of paper and pretend that's your dyno chart, and then tilt the paper one way or another you get an very rough idea of what systems can do - they move the curve around slightly so in some places you may loose a bit whilst in others you gain. The best systems aim to minimise the losses whilst maximising the gains.

·
Registered
4,156 Posts
and to follow up to what Pete said, thats why most people just to go with just a S/O if you do mostly street riding since your torque stays closer to the mid-rpms on your bike (which is where most of us spend our time out on the street) where as, as Pete said, full systems will push it further up in the rpm band where you spend more of your time on a track.

Once again Pedro, thanks for the expert opinion.

·
Registered
963 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That rainbow example made things a lot clearer. Thanks for the explanations.

·
Registered
50 Posts
No a racing system does not reduce the amount of torque you have because then it would reduce your amount of hp. Remember torque = engine velocity * horsepower. The only thing a full racing exhaust does is changes where the peak toque hits (higher in the rpm) and gives a smoother curve in most cases which if you look at the equation gives you more HP.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts