·
Registered
1,940 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yes.

·
Stunt Rider
7,977 Posts
Saw the shit coming too!!! Sweet "oh shit" moment.

·
iRun
33,319 Posts
Holy shit!

Side note-- That camera angle is flippin' sweet. I'm gonna have to try that I think. :YEA

...and you were lookin' REAL smooth out there man. Nice work.

·
The R stands for Respect!
57 Posts
Why the R6 doesnt come stock with a stablizer blows my mind. :screwy A steering damper is the first thing on my list for my winter mod session! I've been eyeing the GPR V4 Stabilizer, what brand/style you considering?

·
Shiney up Rubber down
4,936 Posts
yep saw that one comin as well. Would a damper help... yeah. But it wont be a miracle worker. If the bars are going to slap, they're gonna do it even with a damper.

I have a stock damper on my 09 R1 and with the "right" (read: wrong) input on this one section of road I ride, it will tank slap EVERY TIME. But that doesn't keep me from being heavy handed when I ride that section, you just need to know how to react to it and remember where/how you made it happen, then try to make adjustments so that it doesn't happen again.

And... I think that you scared the guy behind you more than you scared yourself. haha.

·
iRun
33,319 Posts
Why the R6 doesnt come stock with a stablizer blows my mind. :screwy A steering damper is the first thing on my list for my winter mod session! I've been eyeing the GPR V4 Stabilizer, what brand/style you considering?
It doesn't come with one because the R6 geometry isn't complete shit, so it doesn't need one. Do they help? Sure. Is it a necessity? No.

A damper is just a band-aid for poorly set up suspension.

That being said, I have a damper and I absolutely love it.

·
Errybody Dougie
2,671 Posts
It doesn't come with one because the R6 geometry isn't complete shit, so it doesn't need one. Do they help? Sure. Is it a necessity? No.

This is what I read "fcuk you, fcuk you, fcuk you, you're cool"

·
Dangerously Irish
9,552 Posts

·
Registered
1,940 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Holy shit!

Side note-- That camera angle is flippin' sweet. I'm gonna have to try that I think. :YEA

...and you were lookin' REAL smooth out there man. Nice work.
Yea it's probably my favorite angle out of all the ones I've tried.

Thanks, feels goodman

I have an Ohlins linear damper installed. It's on a low setting as I don't like the way it feels cranked up. I prefer a more natural feel with enough setting to save my ass in moments like these.

Looking to buy one soon.
That helmet he is wearing is pimp- love Suomy lids.

Sent from my Motorcycle iPhone app
Thanks, it's the Suomy Vandal Murales Graffiti lid. Pretty sure it was a limited run though.

·
track junkie
2,257 Posts
as long as you understand why it happened, you can make adjustments so that it doesn't happen again. there's a lot of ripples coming out of 10b onto the front straight if you push out to the edge of the track early. combined with the act of adjusting yourself on the bike as you're rolling on the throttle is likely what caused this.

i had a vicious head shake this season at gingerman coming out of turn 6 that sent me off-track at about 90mph. totally my fault; lazy, tired, last session, too much input on the bars.

because of that, i will be getting a damper, too. mostly because i know me and i know that i will one day be lazy and tired at the end of the day again.

good save, btw...

i'm getting the pit bull. seems like all the STG guys are using them and like them and that's good enough for me...

s3aturnr

·
Parts Pimp
26,464 Posts
Way to ride right thru it. I would have at least shook my head :nono

I keep mine set hella low two. 2-4 clicks MAX on the ohlins. :fact

When running on GPA's, I have to turn it up significantly... :comp:

Cause everyone would just put an aftermarket one in it's place. It would save us all a lot of money not needing the mounting kits.

I rode with the V4 recently on my bike since the bearing shifted in my mount for my ohlins (6-8 crashes later :laugh, yes it's been a RUFF season for my bike), and it was OK. I do prefer the linear feel honestly. I feel like it catches the shake sooner than the rotary one does. i found myself either dealing with head shake or having it too tight and the bike wasn't holding a straight line well. Some guys run them so stiff you cannot turn the bars, and they are pro riders... On the street I can't get by without one. On the track I have a couple spots where the bike wheelies when in a lean and that's when it's handy!

In many other cases it's a band-aid for poor riding technique. I say this because in this video you can see it started for a split second right as the rider pulls himself up from the turn. I do it once in a while when fatigued.

Looking to buy one soon.
That helmet he is wearing is pimp- love Suomy lids.

Sent from my Motorcycle iPhone app
I am gonna do the same thing, but I'm gonna order a couple of the new Ohlins ones since they are laser etched, look SICK, are much lighter and have the expensive piston kit in it from the factory now. :party I love having access to all these shiny parts!!!! :laugh

:cheers

·
Registered
1,940 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
3rd person view of the OP -

Start at 1:15

·
iRun
33,319 Posts
Holy shit, I puckered after seeing the 3rd person... Damn..

·
Registered
1,940 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
That's what I thought, I had no idea how nasty it was.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts