Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bought the DB Holders front stay with attached air duct after I shattered the OEM one last season. Do I need the two sensors circled in the pic? The service manual
refers to them as the atmospheric pressure sensor and intake air temp sensor. The DB holder stay/air duct doesn't have a place to mount them, do I have figure out
how to mount them or can i just tuck it away.

This is for a 2017 dedicated track bike btw.

Thanks!

·
nova r6
3,212 Posts
It will throw check engine lights if they are unplugged, I just responded to another 17+ thread where the guy needs them because they were left on the OEM parts and sold. I would reach out to db holders and see what they recommend, but I know tucking them (at least the temp sensor) might not be wise as on the S1000rr a company sells a relocating kit to move its air temp sensor because it gets heat soaked and causes a change in the fueling. They relocate it similar to where yours sits currently.

·
Registered
1,817 Posts
The computer compares intake and atmospheric pressure in order to calculate airflow. Messing with these sensors, ultimately throws off air/fuel ratios. Running too lean can cause an engine to run hotter, possibly damage the engine. Running too rich can clog a catalytic converter, (if present,) and/or waste fuel.

·
Registered
1,817 Posts
Placement of both sensors is important; atmospheric probably more so. If the atmospheric sensor is relocated to a spot that experiences airflow, it can cause it to read lower than normal, due to Venturi effect on the tube. (you get some of this regardless, but much more so if relocated to a bad spot)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts