Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The 06 doesn't have the easy access shift housing on the left side right behind the shift shaft like on older models....ohhhh no, the shift shaft goes all the way through to the right side and stops right behind the clutch.

Now I can't find a single how to for replacing the spring on my bike, and the service manual is pretty unclear about it. I worry that you have to take the clutch out to get at this stupid .99c spring that commonly fails. Is it accessible by just taking the clutch casing cover off?

Am I ****ed? I'm fairly competent in the garage, but I'm not confident enough and flat out too lazy to tear out the clutch if its that big of a job.can anyone give me some clarification on how to get at this spring?

Why couldn't this be the 10 minute easy as pie change it was in all the how to's :(

·
Just lean harder...
887 Posts
Ok, I will be the first to say..... What the hell are you talking about?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The detent (or torsion spring) is a spring that hangs off the end of the shift shaft stopper at the end of the shift shaft. It resets the shift lever back to the correct position after you shift, it's a kind of common thing to go wrong, and when it does it makes it so you have to manually reset the lever with your foot before you can shift again.

If you read my op it says why this appears to be a bigger deal than it needs to be. I'm hoping there is a trick to it though.

·
Registered
5,244 Posts
I cant say Ive ever had a spring break on me... dirt bike, streetbike, etc.

Id also say that MOST shifting issues have to do with the position of the shift rod. My SV is sensitive to this. My R6 as well...even when its off 1 spline.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My spline really has no reason to be off though, when it started I hadn't messed with it at all. And what it's doing is far more in line with the detent spring than what happens when the spline is off. My shifter needs manually reset to center every single shift with my foot or else it won't go into gear, that doesn't really sound like an off spline issue.

I already have the spring, but if it ends up meaning I have to rip out the clutch piece by piece to get at it, then I'm going to let the dealer rape my wallet...so if that ends up being the case I'll mess with it after I change the oil and the shift lever is back actually on the bike.

·
Registered
211 Posts
I haven't looked at the manual but you can remove the whole clutch basket to get to it and not have to take all the plates and springs out

1 - 9 of 9 Posts