Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got an 02 and was wondering if you are supposed to screw the dipstick in, or just set it on top, to check the oil level?

·
Official Noob Greeter
55,856 Posts
the book says not to screw it in, just dip it and check, if I remember correctly.

·
Registered
28 Posts
crank her up and let her get warm, turn it off, unscrew dip stick and clean it. screw dipstick back in and check the level. this is the best way to check because the bike is at or close to the temp at which it'll be operating and needing the most lubrication.

·
Official Noob Greeter
55,856 Posts
yeah, you should warm the motor up to operating temp. My 08 book says not to screw in, but I cant find the 01 book anymore.

·
Registered
7,662 Posts
its actually a violation of Yamaha's to post the manuals they charge for...so...being that we are buddies with Yamaha, we don't have them.

But, R6MN has them, so its still easy to find. Im sure Yamaha wouldn't do anything, its more of a respect thing

As for the issue at hand, you always leave them unscrewed.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Nice, thanks. I just finished my first oil change on the R6. Very easy, since all you have to remove is the bottom fairings and the filter isn't lodged in between the headers like my last two Suzuki's. That was always a b--ch.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts