Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought my first bike, an 06 R6. I am going to change the oil soon and I was just wondering if I should just do it myself or if I should take it into somewhere to have it done. I was thinking about taking it in only because I was going to just have them check over the whole bike sonce I just bought it and dont know too much about it. Thanks for any opinions and suggestions.

·
Premium Member
8,144 Posts
definitely do it yourself...Dealers charge a ton to do it. Plus there isnt a better way to learn about your bike than to do it yourself.

Depending on condition and miles, there really isnt a whole lot that would need to be checked for an 06. You can check or do the normal maintenance such as chain, brakes (lines/pads/fluid), oil, and tires.

Congrats on the bike...

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I live in West Bloomfield Michigan. Its a little outside detroit. There are about 9,000 miles on it. I just want to make sure that there is nothing else wrong with it before I do a lot of riding, since its my first bike and I prolly won't really know if there is anything wrong with it until its too late... And I did want to do it myself so I do learn a lot. I'm the same way with cars and want to get into bikes the same way.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
DO IT YOURSELF!!! its simple, really...i did it to my bike twice already (just over 2k mi now) -your first time may take 1hr tops!!! (i have always changed the oil on my cars) take off the left side fairing; remove bolt; drain; replace filter; install bolt; fill oil; install fairing; you're done!!! sounds ez, cuz it izzzzz. if you need any HELP just ask
I think thats what i'll do. Can I just go to a dealer and get the oil and filter? And do you suggest synthetic? Do I have to do anything special if I change to synthetic from regular?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
the only reason I was going to take it in was so they could do an overlal check on the bike since I just got it...

·
Registered
108 Posts
the only reason I was going to take it in was so they could do an overlal check on the bike since I just got it...
Thats seriously not a bad idea... especially if you don't have any previous motorcycle experience. If the bike is an 06 then it *should* be ok. However, there are plenty of bikes out there that have been totaled and rebuilt- sometimes not properly.

So has the bike been in an accident? do you know the maintenance history? is the title clean (a bike can still have been in a previous accident and have a clean title)?

The reason I ask these questions is because I've had a shitty experience with purchasing a bike in the past that was used. I didn't know all that much about bikes at the time so I decided to get it checked out after by a professional mechanic. It turned out to have been a salvage bike even though it had a clean title. They checked everything over and I was good to go. Call it peace of mind.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thats seriously not a bad idea... especially if you don't have any previous motorcycle experience. If the bike is an 06 then it *should* be ok. However, there are plenty of bikes out there that have been totaled and rebuilt- sometimes not properly.

So has the bike been in an accident? do you know the maintenance history? is the title clean (a bike can still have been in a previous accident and have a clean title)?

The reason I ask these questions is because I've had a shitty experience with purchasing a bike in the past that was used. I didn't know all that much about bikes at the time so I decided to get it checked out after by a professional mechanic. It turned out to have been a salvage bike even though it had a clean title. They checked everything over and I was good to go. Call it peace of mind.

Yea, the bike has a clean title and all of that. It did go down on the right side but very slow when the guy was just learning how to ride. There are just a few scrapes in the plastics and I can tell from the scratches that it wasn't bad at all. I had my friend ride it who has had a bike for years and he said it all seems fine, but I still think that I am going to take it in probably. Just to be safe.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts