Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm about to get into the whole crash cage business along with other parts. Was wondering if getting repair shops to help refer clients to me would be a good business model (will pay them commission around 40$-80$ per sale). But Im not sure if they would be down for it. Obviously im going to start making calls and check but I just want some other peoples input. Out of say 100 individual sport bike repair shops do you think would be down?

·
Reads the rulez
2,255 Posts
No.

·
Make good choices.
2,808 Posts
Because why would they refer their customers to buy your crash cage when they could just sell them one themselves?

Retailers don't refer their customers to wholesalers/manufacturers who sell the same thing they do.

Wholesalers/manufacturers sell to the business who then sell to the consumer.

That's how retail works.

·
Reads the rulez
2,255 Posts
1) Because your grammar is not even at a freshman in high school level. I've never been much of a grammar nazi, but it puts a negative impression on possible buyers. It looks completely unprofessional. I haven't even seen your products yet, and I'm already not interested. If you can't take the time to formulate a sentence, how do I know you're taking the time to build a quality product?
2) The reasons thedub already stated
3) "Stunta" marked is extremely small, and the reputable names have long since been solidified, and they're making their stuff cheaper than you can, so they're pocketing more money.

I would say one or two out of a hundred might buy into it. And the people that buy into that are also terrible business people, so they're the ones that close up shop from bad business management.

·
pin it to win it
8,080 Posts
That's usually not how it works. You could make the products and ask your dealership if they want to be a distributor of your products for a percentage. Then you refer people to them. Basically

·
pin it to win it
8,080 Posts
Oh and why the hell pay a middle man? Forums, Ebay, Facebook, craigslist are all way cheaper. Maximize profit and reach a larger group if people

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
1) Because your grammar is not even at a freshman in high school level. I've never been much of a grammar nazi, but it puts a negative impression on possible buyers. It looks completely unprofessional. I haven't even seen your products yet, and I'm already not interested. If you can't take the time to formulate a sentence, how do I know you're taking the time to build a quality product?
2) The reasons thedub already stated
3) "Stunta" marked is extremely small, and the reputable names have long since been solidified, and they're making their stuff cheaper than you can, so they're pocketing more money.

I would say one or two out of a hundred might buy into it. And the people that buy into that are also terrible business people, so they're the ones that close up shop from bad business management.
im not trying to sell anything to you, so you can hate my grammar.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I should have probably given a little background info

Im majoring in aerospace engineering. I know how cages are made and i know how to make them, and the way ive seen them produced by every single cage "manufacturer" is extremely inefficient (it shows in their designs and welds). Just look at how much they go for. 200$-400$ for a 20lb piece of aluminum?

Theres a reason for that. Theyre priced that way because of inefficiencies during the manufacturing process. I designed a machine to bypass those inefficiencies that can produce them about 7-8 times faster (literally) and 20%-30% cheaper since I will be smelting the raw materials myself (aluminum 6061).

The problem is I will be able to produce so much in such little time that I will certainly have a bunch of overstock. Im just trying to come up with a way to get rid of them faster than simply doing it online, as I am aware that the stunt market is pretty small.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Only a very small percentage of riders want a crash cage on their bike. It ruins the lines and gives it a stunter look. From that perspective alone it sounds like a bad idea. But in the end it is your life, do what you want.

·
UR B-hind Da 8 Ball
6,256 Posts
Only a very small percentage of riders want a crash cage on their bike. It ruins the lines and gives it a stunter look.....
Not to mention ruins cornering clearance.

Also, who makes a crash cage out of Aluminum????

·
nom nom nom nom nom nom
1,251 Posts
No

1) All the reasons mentioned above. They are all good reasons why your business model won't work, even the one about your grammar.

2) Any good businessman wouldn't toss away a potential customer over something as silly as Highside's remarks. How are you going to react when someone tells you your product needs improvement? Are you going to listen to their advice or just be a thick headed moron?

3) You are making a product aimed mainly at the stunters. They are a small sub-group of a sub-group (sportbikers), of a small, relatively volatile and seasonal market (the motorcycle aftermarket). You are going to try and get "sportbike repair shops" to send you business? How many actual sportbike repair shops are in your area? I highly doubt it is enough to support any new business, even if they all sign on. Much, much more important: how many stunters actually take their bikes to repair shops? Not many. So you are planning on entering a very tiny market, by going about it differently than nearly every other company in that market, with a product for people who don't shop at the places who you expect to send you business? (So much wrong with that last sentence it makes my head hurt)

4) How much actual experience do you have in manufacturing? The cages that are in production today are mostly steel. Bent steel tubes that are welded together. If these items could be made 7-8 times quicker at 20-30% less cost, someone would already be doing it.

5) You've "designed a machine". You're going to "smelt" your own 6061? Let us know when your machine is up and running along with your aluminum foundry.

·
Reads the rulez
2,255 Posts
No

1) All the reasons mentioned above. They are all good reasons why your business model won't work, even the one about your grammar.

2) Any good businessman wouldn't toss away a potential customer over something as silly as Highside's remarks. How are you going to react when someone tells you your product needs improvement? Are you going to listen to their advice or just be a thick headed moron?

3) You are making a product aimed mainly at the stunters. They are a small sub-group of a sub-group (sportbikers), of a small, relatively volatile and seasonal market (the motorcycle aftermarket). You are going to try and get "sportbike repair shops" to send you business? How many actual sportbike repair shops are in your area? I highly doubt it is enough to support any new business, even if they all sign on. Much, much more important: how many stunters actually take their bikes to repair shops? Not many. So you are planning on entering a very tiny market, by going about it differently than nearly every other company in that market, with a product for people who don't shop at the places who you expect to send you business? (So much wrong with that last sentence it makes my head hurt)

4) How much actual experience do you have in manufacturing? The cages that are in production today are mostly steel. Bent steel tubes that are welded together. If these items could be made 7-8 times quicker at 20-30% less cost, someone would already be doing it.

5) You've "designed a machine". You're going to "smelt" your own 6061? Let us know when your machine is up and running along with your aluminum foundry.
This is probably the same guy that is retrofitting Gitrdon's R6 to accept the R1 engine!

manbearpig, are you located in Canada by chance?

·
iRun
33,317 Posts
:popcorn:

I almost forgot why I came around this forum anymore... This thread reminded me.

·
Reads the rulez
2,255 Posts
:popcorn:

I almost forgot why I came around this forum anymore... This thread reminded me.
I'm only here to fap at your signature picture....

Wait, what?!

:bowroll

·
iRun
33,317 Posts
I'm only here to fap at your signature picture....

Wait, what?!

:bowroll
This thread is about to get even better. ;)

Not really safe for Work...

·
iRun
33,317 Posts

·
Reads the rulez
2,255 Posts
I don't appreciate you posting pictures of my future ex-wives....

:lmao

1 - 20 of 32 Posts