Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Meh
9,250 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had an absolutely awesome day at Streets of Willow yesterday - felt really good on the bike and was pushing hard (for me) and was out there for all but one session - but holy hell am I beat up today. Quads, hips, shoulders, lower back, neck, calves, forearms all have some amount of soreness. I can't imagine signing up for a whole weekend and having to do another full day the way I feel today.

I'm pretty new to the track riding thing. This was my 5th track day, but my first one was the end of this February, all with varying levels of next-day soreness. Today is definitely the worst. I exercise a decent amount, but I'm not super disciplined about it.

Is my sore ass par for the course, or am I in terrible shape and need to start hitting the gym a few more times a week?

·
I gotta ride!
191 Posts
I did 2 days at Willow 2.5, and a 1 day last year. Being sore is a matter of using muscles your not used to using.... If you ride tense, your gonna be hurtting even more. Try to relax a little more on the bike. I ride dirt as well as wakeboard and being sore is just a part of it.... I was taught a while ago, just relax and ride. Hard to do when your banging gears and dragging knees but it does help.

·
Registered
12 Posts
work the quads, man. major component of my and many AMA + SBK + GP riders' workout includes either stationary or road-biking. If you have a road bike, bring it to the track and ride it around to warm up/cool down from a session. Also, bananas & plenty of water will help you stay loose should you run a double-header.

·
TRAVELER
565 Posts
As an "older" guy, I found that core strength will get you a long ways. Streets isn't as bad as the Radical Loop at SMMR in Pahrump, NV. Get some decent cardio but get your core strong and you'll find that the soreness will not be as bad.

I am a gym rat and a certified personal trainer for 24HR Fitness and the Navy. I spend 5-6 days a week in the gym ranging from 1.5-3 hours at a time. Thirty minutes of that (two days on and then one day off) will be spent on core. At first, if you're not in good shape in your mid section, it's going to SUCK.

Hope this helps.

Chief

·
Bluer Than You!
1,595 Posts
I'm rarely sore now even after a double day. Drink plenty of water and gatorade. I dont stretch or workout beforehand and I'm not sore. It's like a workout in itself. I'm on the track damn near every weekend I am home. I think I have 12 trackdays so far this year. I may just be used to the "workout" so it's not sore but it feels like a mild-medium workout.

Stretch, bananas, gatorade, and water. You should be fine and once you get more time out there you won't be sore!

·
Make good choices.
2,808 Posts
I had an absolutely awesome day at Streets of Willow yesterday - felt really good on the bike and was pushing hard (for me) and was out there for all but one session - but holy hell am I beat up today. Quads, hips, shoulders, lower back, neck, calves, forearms all have some amount of soreness. I can't imagine signing up for a whole weekend and having to do another full day the way I feel today.

I'm pretty new to the track riding thing. This was my 5th track day, but my first one was the end of this February, all with varying levels of next-day soreness. Today is definitely the worst. I exercise a decent amount, but I'm not super disciplined about it.

Is my sore ass par for the course, or am I in terrible shape and need to start hitting the gym a few more times a week?
I was really sore after my first couple track days. I eventually figured out it was mainly because I was hanging on to the bike for dear life the whole time. I was using my arms on the bars for support under braking and my leg on the inside peg to hang off. I was so sore the next day I could barely walk up stairs. Once I got more comfortable on the bike at speed, I was able to relax.
As mentioned before, your core should be doing most of the work. Squeeze the tank under braking, outside knee up against the tank while hanging off.
Anyway, maybe that's not your problem, just my $.02.

·
track junkie
2,257 Posts
i just got back from road america about 10 min ago and i feel like i was run over by a truck. VERY sore. i have been working out daily for the past 2 months to get ready for the track season, too. just the way it goes, i guess...

s3aturnr

·
TRAVELER
565 Posts
As you get better/comfortable on the track, you'll find that you don't need to brake so much. You can carry a lot more speed than you think or realize entering the corner. As I enter a turn, I will shift my body and use my inner thigh (right if i am turning left and vice versa) to take the brunt when i slow down while I use my engine braking a lot more which means I am not "squeezing" the tank with my thighs and also less wrist/arm trying to hold my body up.

It does two things for you. One, your chassis and suspension is not getting tweaked as you come into a turn and two your arms does not put unnecessary steering input onto your steering. Relaxed means you're smoother. Slow is smooth and smooth is fast. Ultimately your not working so hard trying to control your bike which means you won't be as sore. HTH.

Robin

·
Meh
9,250 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yeah, I *know* all the stuff about body position, holding on with legs / core, relaxing on the bars, etc. but actually doing it is a different story. The bike definitely does everything better when I'm nice and light on the bars. Bumps disappear, I can turn in faster, it goes exactly where I want... but my legs start tiring out after a few sessions and it starts taking a lot of focus to not start compensating with my arms.

When I'm on top of my game I'll hit the gym 3 times a week. Lots of deadlifts and squats with low weight and high reps, stationary bike and jump rope intervals for cardio. I've also started doing a bit of yoga which seems like it ought to be great for the track.

It sounds like it's possible to get myself sorted out so I'm not that sore. I'd really love to be able to hit up a whole weekend. Gotta get crackin' on those weights.

·
TRAVELER
565 Posts
Right on. I just booked a weekend at BW for July 16/17 with Pacific Tracktime. It is $140 per day but if you book the whole weekend it only comes to $99 per day. Come on out man. Oh yeah, I just booked Chuckwalla for September 3rd too. That one fills up quick because it is with SOCAL. The no session deal is AWESOME! Let me know when you're coming out.

Robin

·
Knee drags YOU!
1,167 Posts
I was pretty sore after my first day this year. I got out of my workout routine when school finished up, and didn't get back into it until today actually.

At any rate, i'm going to focus on legs more, and also start cross training on my MTB.

·
Registered
6,071 Posts
my legs were mildy sore after my trackday couple days ago. more so, i noticed i was using my calves a lot more, so i can switch sides easier cause i was on the balls of my feet. that's probably the thing that was sore the most, next to my things for squeezing the tank. other then that, everything was fine, probably lower back was a tad bit sore, as i'm going to work on my back and mid section a lot more. but definitely, your core is what's going to hold you up.

·
Is this a segment?
17,690 Posts
work the quads, man. major component of my and many AMA + SBK + GP riders' workout includes either stationary or road-biking. If you have a road bike, bring it to the track and ride it around to warm up/cool down from a session. Also, bananas & plenty of water will help you stay loose should you run a double-header.
^great advice

As an "older" guy, I found that core strength will get you a long ways. Streets isn't as bad as the Radical Loop at SMMR in Pahrump, NV. Get some decent cardio but get your core strong and you'll find that the soreness will not be as bad.

I am a gym rat and a certified personal trainer for 24HR Fitness and the Navy. I spend 5-6 days a week in the gym ranging from 1.5-3 hours at a time. Thirty minutes of that (two days on and then one day off) will be spent on core. At first, if you're not in good shape in your mid section, it's going to SUCK.

Hope this helps.

Chief
Orly? When were you at the 1.5?

You could say I'm a bit of a gym-go'er, after some trackdays I'll still be pretty sore. I've learned that you can exercise your body all you want but riding is a different exercise and will make you sore just like if you did deadlifts for the first time. Still, there are things you can do to improve your readiness - I started adding a few things at the gym specifically to help on the bike. Like hib abduction and higher reps on calves. The tips of my quads still get sore as shit though.

Normally I don't lift the day or two before a trackday - this last time out I was like "eff it" and did back the day before.

:eek5

Deadlifts the day before a physical track is a definite game-changer :laugh I was sore during my first session :(

·
TRAVELER
565 Posts
Working out right before a trackday (especially working your back) is a no-no. I usually try to hydrate (drink lot and lots of water/gatorade) the day before. I also like to get some healthy grains for stamina the night before. Add that with a good night rest and you're good.

I was supposed to go with the boys this past weekend. I rode Chuckwalla Saturday and wanted to go up there for Sunday but I figure that would be TOO much. I will be back up there in September though. You're damn lucky to be right there. I wish I was and I am sure that I will be riding it everytime there is an event. I will be there with Ti2TT in October. It is not the West track though so I am bummed. It's been a while since I've ridden that short track. Fun and quite a work out. You going to be there in October? We should meet up/pit together is you don't mind. This old man needs some schooling from a veteran of that track.

I've got five more planned out this year. 2 Days at BW, one day at Chuckwalla going CCW, and a full weekend at Pahrump.

Did you go this past weekend? The guys I usually ride with are the Flipmoderiders and another guy who was on a Black 08 R6S with full Racetech Suspension running on 211s. He was cutting 25s on there this past weekend. Lee's Cycle was in the teens I heard. Anyway, hit me up if you are going in October. I will probably have the wifey come out and we usually stay at Best Western down the street from SMMR.

Robin

·
Is this a segment?
17,690 Posts
Working out right before a trackday (especially working your back) is a no-no. I usually try to hydrate (drink lot and lots of water/gatorade) the day before. I also like to get some healthy grains for stamina the night before. Add that with a good night rest and you're good.

This is what I NORMALLY do - this time the only thing I did different was the workout. Live and learn.

I was supposed to go with the boys this past weekend. I rode Chuckwalla Saturday and wanted to go up there for Sunday but I figure that would be TOO much. I will be back up there in September though. You're damn lucky to be right there. I wish I was and I am sure that I will be riding it everytime there is an event. I will be there with Ti2TT in October. It is not the West track though so I am bummed. It's been a while since I've ridden that short track. Fun and quite a work out. You going to be there in October? We should meet up/pit together is you don't mind. This old man needs some schooling from a veteran of that track.

I've got five more planned out this year. 2 Days at BW, one day at Chuckwalla going CCW, and a full weekend at Pahrump.

Did you go this past weekend? The guys I usually ride with are the Flipmoderiders and another guy who was on a Black 08 R6S with full Racetech Suspension running on 211s. He was cutting 25s on there this past weekend. Lee's Cycle was in the teens I heard. Anyway, hit me up if you are going in October. I will probably have the wifey come out and we usually stay at Best Western down the street from SMMR.

Robin
I rode the 1.5 on Saturday and it was great. Only ~30 people showed up so we ran 30 minute sessions and the weather was perfect. Be glad you didn't go for Sunday - the wind was ridiculous.
I actually chatted it up with your buddy quite a bit! Race Tech set up in the garage next to us so we were scoping out all the bikes - he was definitely putting in some great times! It was my first full day in Expert and I only managed my way down to a 1:26. Still better than the 1:31 I did there last time.
The guy on the Lee's Cycle R1 is stupid fast for sure... but I really doubt he dipped into the teens. A buddy I pit with (who's a solid racer) passed every single bike on that track and he was running mid 1:21s, my buddy who instructs there - also in his first full day in Expert - managed a 1:22.3 in his last session following said faster friend! :eek5

The 1.5 is cool, I like it better now, but it's nowhere near as fun as the 2.2! And there may not be any 2.2 days next year :(

I will be on the 2.2 the 18th of this month and again in October... I try to hit every event at SMMR.

·
Is this a segment?
17,690 Posts
TYPO! I meant I am going to be there October 8 and 9. Let's do it. Show me your lines! I will PM you my cell so we can plan it out as it gets closer.

Robin
I'd be more than happy to!

But I'll warn you... if you get faster than me... I'll put you in the wall.

·
TRAVELER
565 Posts
LOL. It's your back yard bro...if I do...we've got issues! LOL. My bike is bone stock. I ran C group at Chuckwalla this past weekend. I got the talking to with fingers waving. from the track org. It was a last minute thing. Been sold out and so when someone dropped out, I nabbed it quick even if it was C group. I passed everyone and lapped even a few people. I just worked on my passing lines, mid corner speed and corner exiting. Those Q2s held up pretty well. Really well. I will be working on my entry speed on my next track day. Show me the ropes at SMMR Brother!

·
Is this a segment?
17,690 Posts
LOL. It's your back yard bro...if I do...we've got issues! LOL. My bike is bone stock. I ran C group at Chuckwalla this past weekend. I got the talking to with fingers waving. from the track org. It was a last minute thing. Been sold out and so when someone dropped out, I nabbed it quick even if it was C group. I passed everyone and lapped even a few people. I just worked on my passing lines, mid corner speed and corner exiting. Those Q2s held up pretty well. Really well. I will be working on my entry speed on my next track day. Show me the ropes at SMMR Brother!
No prob, Bob. I'm hoping to make some more improvements next time out. It seems (to me) like the track is pretty straight forward but I made some small tweaks just on corner exits when I ran the 2.4 and dropped a couple seconds.

I effin LOVE taking people through 8-9-10... but I don't know how much of an advantage I'll have there now in expert :laugh :(

Oh yeah, my bike is also bone stock :sing

But for serious, my buddy (who smokes me) is basically on a stock R6s.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts