Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
let her scream
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i ride my 01' all the time and i like to wheelie everytime i go out. usually when i set down a wheelie im up around 100 or 110 and ive gone through 2 fairing stays plus the stock one. both were factory replacements off ebay. the last one i broke all i did was set one down around 80 or 90 with the wheel crooked a tiny bit and POP it broke the top bolt hole just like the last two....any word on the factory 905 stunt stay? and will it work with stock plastics? i guess its made of steel instead of shitty cast aluminum.:cuss

·
iRun
33,317 Posts
I've never done that... of course when I wheelie (which isn't often) I set the front wheel down NICELY. Speed doesn't matter.

·
let her scream
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i try to set it down nice...as in throttle out of it to avoid tank slapper and what not but alot of times i set it down at red line so theres not much throttle left. and then i break stays

·
Premium Member
20,431 Posts
Don't wheelie at 100mph on city roads?

·
let her scream
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
what makes you think its city roads? once again i start a thread and people start replying with smart ass comments, i think i speak for a lot of people when i say that i didnt join an ethics forum, i ride how i ride, all i was looking for was an opinion on fairing stays

·
Go Ahead
2,705 Posts
what makes you think its city roads? once again i start a thread and people start replying with smart ass comments, i think i speak for a lot of people when i say that i didnt join an ethics forum, i ride how i ride, all i was looking for was an opinion on fairing stays
Person, not people.

Also, you notice the first poster has a newer bike which might have a stronger stay.

I'm no wheelie expert or fork expert, but what if you change the fork fluid?

-Ant.

·
Premium Member
20,431 Posts
You mentioned it happens when you set it down at 100MPH. Try going slower maybe you won't have the problem..

And have thick skin.. where else are you doing wheelies at 100mph?? Sense you are calling BS on my assumption.

·
Official Noob Greeter
55,856 Posts
I broke 4 of them on my 01. Wheelies were were the cause of the first three and a pothole at about 100 mph broke the last one. Lemme guess, the break the ear off the top bolt...:laugh

I ended up making my own "L" bracket that usedthe two factory bolt locations on the stem and one that went through a hole in the fairing stay that I drilled. I even used a broken fairing stay and I never had a problem again. The metal is cheap there and breaks super easy. DO NOT try to do any highchair stuff without upgrading the stay or you'll be very sorry.

·
Jesus Reigns
4,398 Posts
Im trying to decipher the title of this thread

·
let her scream
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I broke 4 of them on my 01. Wheelies were were the cause of the first three and a pothole at about 100 mph broke the last one. Lemme guess, the break the ear off the top bolt...:laugh

I ended up making my own "L" bracket that usedthe two factory bolt locations on the stem and one that went through a hole in the fairing stay that I drilled. I even used a broken fairing stay and I never had a problem again. The metal is cheap there and breaks super easy. DO NOT try to do any highchair stuff without upgrading the stay or you'll be very sorry.
dude thank you! i have my two old ones laying there in my garage useless, yes with the upper ear broken off both. see i was gonna fabricate my own out of steel but factory 905 makes a stunt designed one for 195 bones. im just not sure of anyone that runs one with stock fairings.

·
Ya wheelies is garbage!
5,935 Posts
dude thank you! i have my two old ones laying there in my garage useless, yes with the upper ear broken off both. see i was gonna fabricate my own out of steel but factory 905 makes a stunt designed one for 195 bones. im just not sure of anyone that runs one with stock fairings.
Stock uppers are trash! :fact Though you might want to slow those wheelies down a little...:sing If you are going that fast you can probably bring that front up taller. Anyways, 905 doesn't have the best rep regarding their welds. You could always find someone locally to fab you up something using your stock stay as a template. Could easily make you something just as strong if not stronger than the 905 and save you some loot. Either way, whatever you do it will be better than stock.

·
let her scream
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Stock uppers are trash! :fact Though you might want to slow those wheelies down a little...:sing If you are going that fast you can probably bring that front up taller. Anyways, 905 doesn't have the best rep regarding their welds. You could always find someone locally to fab you up something using your stock stay as a template. Could easily make you something just as strong if not stronger than the 905 and save you some loot. Either way, whatever you do it will be better than stock.
well im acctually a welder, i just wasnt sure how difficult or in depth it would be to try and re-create something of that nature. and right you are, the reason my wheelies are so fast is the fact i try to squeeze out every last foot i can but i cant seem to find the balance point, so every one i do im accelerating throughout its duration. pisses me off

·
Official Noob Greeter
55,856 Posts
The 01 has a shorter wheelbase and swingarm so it's a little harder to find the bp. Gearing down and dropping your rear psi will help.

·
let her scream
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
i went to a 520 chain and dropped a tooth up front, it helped getting it up alot but im not sure if its me being scared of looping it or what....i could link my youtube vids if it would help on the pointers. and i dropped my tire pressure and i didnt really notice a change at all, the roads here are super crowned too

·
Official Noob Greeter
55,856 Posts
You need practice. I used to run 15-20 psi and I really liked -2f+2r for gearing. Effortless wheelies through multiple gears....

·
let her scream
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
i used to do roughly 60 wheelies a day i dont know how much more practice i can get, i would do drastic gearing like that but i still like to go on long trips with my bike, and with the D&D even this gearing the thing screams

·
Official Noob Greeter
55,856 Posts
Do yourself and everyone else a favor and dumpster that pipe...:laugh

No, really though...:fact

·
let her scream
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Uh ya it's ridiculous loud

·
Official Noob Greeter
55,856 Posts
Micron high mount :fact

·
Parts Pimp
26,470 Posts
LOL. I didn't know that you could break the Stay so easily.. I'll have to be more careful on my bike, or I'll just at least expect it to happen now.

And :lmao at 60 wheelies a day. That's gotta be a fun ass day. I'll pull a handful in one day, and be like I gotta settle down.. The next thing I know I find myself in a standup in 3rd over every single hump in the damn road. :lmao

1 - 20 of 28 Posts