Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey guys,

I want to change the oil in my R6 since I'm not sure how many miles the current oil has. I just called the closest Yamaha dealer and they quoted me $70 in labor plus parts (oil and filter). Does this sound too high? Sure sounded high to me. Chain lube is also included in that price. They said it'd probably be around $90 out the door for an oil change and chain lube. That just sounds really high to me, but I'm not sure...haven't done it before. I've changed the oil on my cars before, but this is my first bike.

On a related note, if I were to do this myself, how much oil does an '03 R6 take, and what kind of filter? I'm sure I can order that stuff online somewhere, and I'm sure it says in the owner's manual, but I didn't get a manual with the bike when I bought it, and I haven't ordered one yet from Yamaha.

·
R Sexiness
1,139 Posts
no that sounds about right considering these days labor is about $72 an hour and it doesnt take more than that to change oil

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
OK, sounds like a plan. I'll just get the stuff and do it myself. Thanks for the info!

BTW, does it say what kind of oil (and how much) to use in the manual somewhere? I tried looking at it online, but I didn't see it anywhere. Is regular motor oil ok, or do you have to get a special motorcycle oil?

·
I ride bitches year round
1,834 Posts
You could use 'regular' oil but I don't think anyone here would recommend that. I believe the R6 has a wet clutch which means the engine oil also lubes the clutch I wouldn't use regular oil. Try Amsoil I guess or just go with yamalube.

Get one of those oil filter 'sockets' because Its really difficult to get the regular oil filter wrench in there.

·
R-Sex
422 Posts
that rediculous!! i'd tell them to suck a fart out of my ass with a silly straw for that price. i think all together to change mine myself it was like $30, it took like 15 mins and its easy as all hell. def do it urself, it'll teach u a lil something. the how-to is in your manual.

·
Team: Teletubby racing
21,003 Posts
+1 on doing it yourself....put the bike on the stand...take off lower fairing and...drain oil..(use oil filter wrench them suckers are super tight...

·
RU R6
1,206 Posts
Oil changes are simple. $70-$90 is obsurd! Chain lube???!!!! That's like charging $10 to put air into the tires. I would not use that dealership/shop for any service. They sound like scam artists.

Just go there to get the parts. Just use Yamalube, since you're gonna be getting the filter from there anyways. Now if they charge $20 just for the filter, then they rip-off on everything. Shouldn't be that much....$12-15 max.

Someone mentioned using "regular oil". I don't know if they mean regular automotive oil like Castrol GTX, but don't! Use motorcycle specific oil since the clutch is lubed by the same oil and motorcycle oil has special additives to be used as motor and trans oil. Now if they mean "regular" as in petrol-based vs. synthetic...that's up to you if you wanna spend the extra $$ for synthetic....but make sure it's motorcycle oil.

When I got my first bike, I didn't know any better and people said use Mobil1. So I used regular automotive Mobil1 in my FZR for about 2000mi before I realized Mobil1 made motorcycle specific oil also. It didn't hurt the bike any, but not good if I kept on using it.

·
I ride bitches year round
1,834 Posts
You could use 'regular' oil but I don't think anyone here would recommend that. I believe the R6 has a wet clutch which means the engine oil also lubes the clutch I wouldn't use regular oil. Try Amsoil I guess or just go with yamalube.

Get one of those oil filter 'sockets' because Its really difficult to get the regular oil filter wrench in there.
I didn't tell him to use regular oil.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts