Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had a Joe Rocket Phoenix mesh "jacket." Last September I low sided at 45-50MPH. My "jacket tore to shreds, I slid only about 15 feet on asphalt before I hit dirt. I was left with some great road rash on my upper arms, a little on my low back( my back pack held up better than the jacket ), my right glove( also summer weight ) split open at the palm, that was the most painful and deepest rash.

Needless to say, I would not recomend buying any summer weight protection, at least anything containing the poly material they use for mesh! :cuss
It might be a little cooler in the heat, but I would rather sweat than bleed any time.

·
heebiedabajeebies!
1,781 Posts
LudicrouSpeeD said:
Needless to say, I would not recomend buying any summer weight protection, at least anything containing the poly material they use for mesh! :cuss
It might be a little cooler in the heat, but I would rather sweat than bleed any time.
My beliefs exactly :cheers
I always wear my leather jacket even I need to go ride for a few blocks.
But weekend riding, I wear my full leathers.

·
looking for more curves
1,883 Posts
talking about protection, what type of footwear I should get other then the riding boots.

I want to get boots, but I do not think that I will be able to get them before my rider course. So I was looking for some other options.

·
Banned
1,086 Posts
Ah alas, someone has touched on a subject that I love to talk about. As my father use to say, "There are those that have crashed, and those that are going to." Truer words were never spoken. Two years ago I went down at 40MPH. Aside from some brusing, my worst part of the injuries was that I had to have my toe nail cut off of my right big toe. That was a lot of fun, let me tell you. My son was about 2 years old at the time and use to call me "Daddy boo boo toe." :laugh My toe slammed into the end of my boot when I low sided. The one thing that truly amazed me was how hard I hit my head and remeber, this was a low side not a high side. I was wearing a helmet of course. None the less I was seeing stars. I also had on Draggin jeans that have Kevlar in the ass and knees. I seriously recommend wearing them anytime you ride. Take a look:
http://www.dragginjeans.com
Gloves are a big deal too. I can't believe it when I see guys ride without them and many do. If you go down, you will put your hands down to try and stop yourself. It's a natural reaction. This is the equivilant of putting the palm of your hand on a belt sander. Just ask Ludi, he knows this better than anyone. Get a good pair of gloves with a Kevlar palm. You'll never regret it. I can get them for you too. I always say that when you are on your way down, it's too late to be putting on the protective gear.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Amen on that Hammy!!

I learned the hard way, being naive, underestimating the power of pavement. Even at a relatively low speed( considering the top end of sport bikes ), crappy safety gear works just as well as your skin. Can't imagine if I was in the triple digits, eeewwwwww.........beef jerky

[/quote]I want to get boots, but I do not think that I will be able to get them before my rider course. So I was looking for some other options.[/quote]

Get something with the best ankle support you can at this time.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Amen on that Hammy!!

I learned the hard way, being naive, underestimating the power of pavement. Even at a relatively low speed( considering the top end of sport bikes ), crappy safety gear works just as well as your skin. Can't imagine if I was in the triple digits, eeewwwwww.........beef jerky

[/quote]I want to get boots, but I do not think that I will be able to get them before my rider course. So I was looking for some other options.[/quote]

Get something with the best ankle support you can at this time.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Any one know a place to get dragginjeans at a better price. i wasnt goin to get any bottom protection just because i ride streets only and i dont like being all decked out in riding gear other than the usual gloves helmet and soon to come jacket, but those look as normal as ever and still will save my :moon

·
Registered
97 Posts
My buddies' got a mesh jacket and the thing looks really really thin, looks like anything will cut through it easily. Not to highjack your thread buddy, but I got a leather one but I need something for really hot days, any suggestions?

·
Registered
189 Posts
I crashed with a yamaha factory mesh jacket at 80mph and didnt get a scratch anywhere. I thought the jacket performed remarkably.

·
Registered
202 Posts
:jester I have a Joe Rocket Phoenix mesh jacket. Here in Hawaii you would dehydrate if you wore full leathers for "casual" non-racing driving. Most of the time a long sleeve tee works for me.

·
Registered
270 Posts
I've never used a mesh jacket before, so I can't comment on their durability. If the weather is cold, I go for full leathers. Otherwise, if it's hot, I use my AGV textile jacket and ICON recon jeans.

I've done the T-shirt thing, never the shorts, but that was when I was a newbie. Spills have a way of clarifying just how important your skin is. Be safe everyone and wear the GEAR!! :cheers

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
i wear t-shirt, shorts and some sandals to go stunting, sometimes i just ride with nothing on but a helmet the chicks love it :hump

·
Registered
270 Posts
OCboy03R6 said:
i wear t-shirt, shorts and some sandals to go stunting, sometimes i just ride with nothing on but a helmet the chicks love it :hump
You do have a point there OCBoy! Maybe it's time for me to show the chicken legs again!! :hammer

·
Banned
4,021 Posts
Blueboy said:
OCboy03R6 said:
You do have a point there OCBoy! Maybe it's time for me to show the chicken legs again!! :hammer
here chicky chicky chicky. :mrgreen:

·
Registered
75 Posts
I don't know exactly what a mesh jacket looks like but I went down at ~50mph wearing a nylon jacket... That sucker melted right to my skin in a number of places and had to be "removed". Let me tell you that was no fun. I'm just getting back into riding (should be picking up my new bike today) and I'm surely going to pick up the right protection!

·
Banned
4,021 Posts
i dont think the mesh jackets are made of nylon. but ive thought about gettin one for my daily simple rides to and from work :cheers

1 - 20 of 52 Posts