Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With the slipper clutch can you not use the rear brake while shifting down? When Im shifting down and using my rear brake my tire often slides around like crazy. What is the proper way to get around this. Is it all about rev matching and thats the only thing im not doing it enough

·
Registered
28 Posts
You can but very lightly.
During heavy braking the rear will only do 2% to 0% of the braking.
To avoid the rear wheel slipping, get most of your braking done before you downshift.
Your downshifts should be done just before your turn point.

my foot will useually will only be resting one the brake, very little pressure if any.

your rear brake should be used at the very begining of your braking and as you progressivly get harder on the front you prgressivly get lighter on the rear. that should help you.

·
Registered
325 Posts
+1 with above. You figure that under NORMAL breaking 75% is done by front brake and 25% is done by rear brake. Under HEAVY braking it is even more lopsided. The reason you are skating around on your rear brake is because there is no weight on your rear tire and therefore very easy to lock up. If you are using your rear brake, you should also be using your front brake. If you are just going through traffic try to down shift early and then brake seperately when you get into 1st or 2nd gear (obviously brake hard if you are going to hit something). Just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well what about the clutch. I know when I am hard on the brakes and Im on the rear if the revs are perfectly matched I can sometimes here a loud slapping of parts kinda like when your going to fast for first and you drop it in and it clunks into place. The other day I was going way to fast into a turn and was super hard on the rear and front and the rear locked a little and when I let off the clutch it made that sound a few times as it caught up with the motor.

·
Registered
154 Posts
JSXR6 said:
With the slipper clutch can you not use the rear brake while shifting down? When Im shifting down and using my rear brake my tire often slides around like crazy. What is the proper way to get around this. Is it all about rev matching and thats the only thing im not doing it enough
Wet-disc (slipper) clutches aleviate the need to "rev match." That is why they are most used in racing - you don't have to rev match. Also, using too much of your rear brake does cause it to lock up more often, and doing so while turning can cause you to lowside. That's because of such a small contact patch. So, you should try to do most of your braking before turning, though, small amounts of the front brake are very effective if used correctly.

·
Atom Smasher
862 Posts
J-Dizzle said:
Wet-disc (slipper) clutches aleviate the need to "rev match."
Yeah, not so much. It makes alot less traumatic when you don't rev match but if you get sloppy with a downshift when you are still high in the revs the rear tire will still squirm around, it's just not nearly as bad.

·
Registered
154 Posts
b.burton said:
Yeah, not so much. It makes alot less traumatic when you don't rev match but if you get sloppy with a downshift when you are still high in the revs the rear tire will still squirm around, it's just not nearly as bad.
I wasn't implying that it completely aleviates the need for rev matching. I was referring to downshifting while not in the power band (the lower rpm range). I just forgot to mention that. Thanks for the correction.

·
Registered
28 Posts
everyone has there own opinions and ideas on how to ride and if you listen to all of these different opinions and ideas its no wonder you are confused.
oh and im no different, i have my opinions too.

·
Registered
28 Posts
IMO, if you have questions about riding technique ask a professional, I have discovered that between many different professionals they all give the same answer to the same question.

People on forums give many differenet answeres to the same question.

Go buy A Twist of the Wrist and A Twist of the Wrist II by Keith Code, Very good books. And straight forward.

·
Registered
28 Posts
My classroom instructor from the California Superbike School says...

"Riding a motorcycle is not an intellectual activity"

in other words riding should not be confusing, its simple.
go buy Keiths book or better yet go and do the California Superbike School

I've done levels 1 and 2, and am so much better for it. and its great fun and get to meet good ppl

·
My R6 eats meat
1 Posts
I have actually had Riders Coaches tell me to not use the rear brake on the track period. I am not sure if that should pertain to everyone or just people in my group(NESBA beginner)

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Probably just people in your beginner class. Thanks for the help guys. I guess I'm going to just go with what it says in the book. Thanks again.

·
Registered
59 Posts
the reason that a lot of people will tell you NOT to use the rear brake is because of the panic factor. When a typical rider goes into the "oh shit" mode, it is easy to apply too much rear brake and lock it up.

You 100% should be using front braking when trailing into a turn, but this is a very advanced technique and should be taugh how to be used properly. I have not read Twist of the wrist, but this is a teaching of one person. I am not saying it is wrong, but Keith Code does teach different skills, some of which directly contradict what Keith Code teaches, than say Freddie Spencer, Star motorcycle, and Kevin Schwantz. You should not limit yourself to just one teaching from one place, especially trackday orgs. If you are serious about learning advanced skills you should learn from an accredited school and take what anyone else says, even me, with a grain of salt.

You will find that most trackday orgs, everyone has their own idea of what is right and what is wrong. Choose who you listen to carefully and know their background. It is up to you to decide who is qualified and who is not, there is no written standard.

The best investment you can ever make, other than safety gear, is yourself. Don't limit yourself to one idea. What works for one person, may not work for you. It might even be wrong all together.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks a lot. I totally understand. Im just gonna go out and try and be fast. Thats what its all about. Ill just try different ways til one feels comfortable.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts