Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
What is the proper way to downshift a 2008 R6. Ive heard mixed opinions on this topic, so ill ask you guys. The manual barely covers downshifting, it basically says shift into 1st at 15mph, lol...

Sorry for the noob question, its my second bike, but my first slipper clutch.

thanks alot,
mike

EDIT: Im asking about downshifting when slowing the bike down for a light or stopsign or w/e.

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
Option 1: pull the clutch in and come to a complete stop. shift down through the gears once you come to a stop. Not the best option because if you need to get going again quick, you'll be in the wrong gear.

option 2: Pull in clutch, downshift 1 gear, blip throttle and release clutch. Do this until you are in 1st or 2nd and then come to a stop. I prefer this method because you'll always be in the right gear if you need to get on the gas quickly, and it sounds cool.

·
Dan the man
292 Posts
option 2...may take a little practice but ull always be in the right gear

·
Registered
331 Posts
Some random ideas that I learned at a recent track school JJYCRS

experiment with the clutch in the friction zone while downshifting (where the clutch isnt engaged totally and isnt disengaged totally) Try some different things and feel how the bike reacts. If the chassis gets upset, change your approach. Longer throttle blips while heavy downshifting in a track/race situation can help settle the throttle. Preload the shifter before engaging the clutch. The idea is to be as smooth in operating the controls as possible before entering a turn. Minimum rider input allows for the suspension and chassis to do their thing!

·
Registered
57 Posts
Why blip the throttle? The idea of the slipper clutch is to delay complete clutch engagement on downshift to reduce immediate engine braking, thereby reducing the chance of rear wheel slippage.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Why blip the throttle? The idea of the slipper clutch is to delay complete clutch engagement on downshift to reduce immediate engine braking, thereby reducing the chance of rear wheel slippage.
True..blipping the throttle while just riding around town or whatever...well then, he'll be fine not doing it. I don't know what kind of riding he's into, but if one day he decides that he wants to get better at ripping up nearby canyons...then it's definitely good practice. And once he gets to that certain riding level...then blipping the throttle will be a must. Like I said tho...regular cruising riding around the area....no need.

·
Dual 6's
132 Posts
this is just a generic question ive had about shifting for a while with my 04 r6....

when you guys have your clutch pulled in and you shift down to 2nd gear, do you hear a high little whine that sounds like something is turning and whining... i might be mistaken but i think its only in my 2nd gear.... also, with clutch totally held in, when i downshift into 1st casually it sometimes grinds gears a little... if i stomp it down pretty forcefully, it seems to slide in better... is this right?

both of these questions have bothered me for a while, especially the thing about 1st gear...

one other last thing.... when you pop into first when sittin still from neutral with the clutch in, why does the bike lurch forward a tiny bit... the clutch is in, there shouldnt be any connection from the engine to the rear wheel

·
Registered
167 Posts
+1

Option 3. Get to know your bike and its speeds for each gear. When slowing always use brakes (to show the cagers that you are slowing down). At the same time pull in the clutch and shift down to a gear that is matching the speed.

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
this is just a generic question ive had about shifting for a while with my 04 r6....

when you guys have your clutch pulled in and you shift down to 2nd gear, do you hear a high little whine that sounds like something is turning and whining... i might be mistaken but i think its only in my 2nd gear.... also, with clutch totally held in, when i downshift into 1st casually it sometimes grinds gears a little... if i stomp it down pretty forcefully, it seems to slide in better... is this right?

both of these questions have bothered me for a while, especially the thing about 1st gear...

one other last thing.... when you pop into first when sittin still from neutral with the clutch in, why does the bike lurch forward a tiny bit... the clutch is in, there shouldnt be any connection from the engine to the rear wheel
My bike does ALL the things you described exactly the same. I'm almost positive it's all normal but not really positive on why it happens. To not get your bike to grind downshifting into first, blip the throttle a little and shift a little harder.

Shifting from 1st to 2nd and 2nd to first will always take a little more umph than any other gear.

·
My R6 eats chickenstrips
46 Posts
Travis, I've noticed the same on my 01 when I first started riding. The trick is NOT to downshift into 1st until you're going really slow, like under 10 mph. Best to just bump it down into neutral while decelerating. If you need to get going fast you can then just tap it into 1st and go, or you can sit at the light with your clutch engaged while in 1st the whole time.

The transition from 2nd-1st isn't smooth because of neutral hanging out in the middle, consequently it makes for a rough shift from 2nd straight to 1st. At the riding school they suggested going to neutral and then dropping to 1st to keep it smooth. In any case, use the least amount of pressure necessary to downshift. If you try to force things, something is bound to break.

Oh yeah, and if you find that the bike won't downshift when you're stopped, don't stomp on the shifter, let out the clutch a little while you tap it down, it'll go WAY easier and save your gearbox.

·
Dual 6's
132 Posts
Ya I kind of try to avoid the 2nd to 1st transition unless im almost stopped... I usually cruise inbetween 2nd and 1st when coming to a red light. I was mainly curious if that was the regular actions of a motorcycle gear box or what. First bike and all so wasnt sure if it was correct or not.

And ya i learned that trick when u cant downshift into first.... also works if for some reason you cut off your bike and park it while in 2nd or 3rd and you cant get to neutral to start it... let the clutch out and rock back and forth a little..

1 - 13 of 13 Posts