Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am gonna be goin to the tracks soon (IRP) I was curious if anyone had any tips or suggested mods before I go out and embarass myself...

Thanks
~Doug

·
Registered
4,156 Posts
check with Fireblade (pm him or something). He's into drag racing big time. he can give you some hints/tips/tricks/cheats.

·
Registered
836 Posts
Keep your throttle constant, and modulate your launch with the clutch.

I still have a lot of practice before I am remotely good with my starts, but that is the tip my race instructor gave me this weekend.

·
Registered
527 Posts
Practice on leaving first. Once you get your timing down then you can move on from there. Went to Atl this weekend for the Prostar meet. The highlite of the day was a seen from biker boyz. A gixxer 1000 lines up against Barry Henson's blackbird. The gixxer leaves and the blackbird stays. He didn't leave till the the gixxer made it to the 1/8 of the mile. Well when it left it beat the gixxer to the 1/4 for the win. It was pretty ugly for that guy and for the rest of the night every bike there left the blackbird along. Fun stuff and it made me sick. Sorry for the length.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I know the guys I talk to at the track when I run my quad use tie downs to jack the suspension down and get it lower to the ground. I did it on my quad and dropped .2 in the 1/8th.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have been 'mock starting' on the streets for a while, but when you say keep your throttle steady and mod with the clutch are you saying to keep the RPM's around 10k or what? I know what you are talking about, i just was curious how high to keep them.

·
Registered
836 Posts
You will have to experiment with the Revs...

and once the clutch is disengaging, you have to roll on the throttle smoothly to keep the revs up.

I am running 15/50 sprockets, so I have found that 8k is close.. 12k is way too much, and 10k seems to work pretty well even though the front wheel comes up.

I was told that the ideal start is when your front wheel stays about 5 inches above the ground till you hit 2nd gear. That is harder to do than it sounds.

·
My 6 makes me super horny
140 Posts
Hey, as far as the start goes, make sure you are only using two fingers and rest the clutch on your last two fingers. That cuts the play out and puts your reaction time closer to where it should be. I only slip the clutch and listen to the engine to see how much gas to give it. I run a pretty constant 11.2XX on the 1/4 mile. BTW, my '04 R6 is completely stock. :cheers
Anyone else have any 1/4 mile times to add?

·
Registered
134 Posts
I ran for the first time on my 01 R6 and after I got used to it I was pullin 11.1XX's. Its stock, I also need alot more practice lauchin cuz my reaction time werent to great.

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
I ran for the first time on my 01 R6 and after I got used to it I was pullin 11.1XX's. Its stock, I also need alot more practice lauchin cuz my reaction time werent to great.
thats hard to believe you ran that close to 11 sec's on a stock 01 :roll:
i dunno though

·
Registered
527 Posts
Here's my best time slip on my 929.

R/t .510
60' 1.713
330 4.411
1/8 6.651
mph 108.97
1000 8.607
1/4 10.296
mph 133.46

I lost to a busa that ran a 9.713 at 143.74

I'll try to find my first time sheet and post it later

·
Registered
32 Posts
My times 04/03/05

if someone can tell me how to post a pic that would be helpful? but untill then
Reaction-very bad- 1.066
MPH.(I3) 97.803
e.t. 11.681
MPH. 124.070[/img][/url]

·
Registered
186 Posts
you guys seen the new cycle world or sport rider with a stock R6 2005 pulling a 9.93

Stock meaning lowered, and one tooth down in the front.

Fuckin' A thats cruisin'

·
Registered
32 Posts
DAMN

well that sounds a little too fast but i kinda wanna belive it. because i kicked the hell out of a 750 this weekend and it was all good. the fastest i ever run was 10.99 and that was someone else driving my bike that does it all the time, i ran a 11.64. how do you lower you bike

·
Yamaland
2,309 Posts
Icemaninlv said:
you guys seen the new cycle world or sport rider with a stock R6 2005 pulling a 9.93

Stock meaning lowered, and one tooth down in the front.

Fuckin' A thats cruisin'
Yeah, I saw this...but I thought it was 9.97. The article is posted somewhere on this site...I'm searchin for it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have a 04 R6. When it was stock last year, ran a 11.49 @ 122 MPH. That was holding it at 6k then feathering while WOT on launch. Cut a 1.8 60'. I need to work on it, heard you can launch at 10k. I'm looking for 10's. Got a BMC race filter, Arata full system, and custom tune off a bike with similar mods. He has 112 whp, hoping for the same, dyno to come soon this year.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts