Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
My R6 and I eat together
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so im doin my first oil change and my friends gonna help me with it. he has a cbr. he said that im gonna need a new drain plug washer becuase its a crush washer and its only good for one use. i have an 07 r6. shud i go get one?

·
Back from the Sand box!
584 Posts
That's the stupidest thing I've ever heard. I have the same washer and it's my 3rd oil change... I can see if it doesn't seal correctly anymore but no, need to change...

And on my car. I've lost count but still the same washer...

·
<3 My Yami.
447 Posts
I'm ocd and change it every oil change. Its 99 cent insurance that you wont have a leak on a $50 oil change. I'm very meticulous with my vehicles, its just one of those "attention to detail" things most people skip over. Ive done plenty of oil changes on cars where the seal has desintegrated when I took it off (granted they were rubber seals, the ones on our bikes are metal crush washers).

Yamaha part# 214-11198-01 is what you need.

My local shops sell them for a buck. Round side facing the oil pan, since that is the next question you are going to ask once you buy one :)

·
Back from the Sand box!
584 Posts
^^ Good point... I'm very meticulous with my rides as well... I park literally towards the last parking spot away from my local Wal-Mart or Lowes, etc...

If it cost 99 cents for washers then by all means however, if you still have a good thickness on the washer, you don't necessarily have to change the washer... If you do then cool... to each his own and that's respectable.

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
done three oil changes since i got my 6, never replaced the washer, havent had any leak.
When i did my coolant though, it said to replace the copper washer every time, i did not and my coolant leaked a little, i went and bought a bunch of copper washers after that.

·
<3 My Yami.
447 Posts
Leak oil and let that rear tire hit it, your $1 washer just turned into $800 fairings, $80 engine casing, etc... $1 insurance people...Would you cheap out on the crush washers for your brake lines?

·
Registered
790 Posts
I changed it the first oil change, again on the second. The Third I forgot and didnt, I let it sit overnight to be sure of no leak. Ill probly go with every other oil change. But then again I change ever 2k instead of 4k.

·
click, click, vroom!
872 Posts
i would never discourage anyone from spending a buck on a cheap washer, but i figured i'd post this up for the sake of science. my bike currently has 28k miles on it. when i bought it almost 2 years ago, it had 8k on it. i do track days, so i'm meticulous about changing the oil not just on regular intervals but when it's been through a high rpm day. should i have switched out the crush washer by now? i haven't found a reason to. as with any followup to an oil change, i check for leaks ... and have yet to find one on a bike. so far ... the washer is not a problem. :flex:

·
MACGYVER 05 R6 NJ
4,033 Posts
And some people wonder why they strip out the oil pan threads or cant get the oil pan bolt of without an impact gun.

·
<3 My Yami.
447 Posts
It's not "science" that your bike does not leak. It is science that metal expands and contracts when it heats up/cools down. The crush washer is a one time use deal to make up for the imperfections of the metal between the plug and oil pan. If a used washer is not installed in the same orientation as it was the previous time, there is a potential for a leak. Maybe it wont do it right after your oil change (hell it probably wont do it at all), but it could develop a leak after a few heat cycles, and I doubt everyone here checks their bikes over before every ride like you should. Industries that use gas delivery systems connect gas lines using "VCR" gaskets which are the same concept...One time metal washers that crush and seal to the imperfections of the two mating surfaces - Even those lines develop leaks due to vibrations loosening the fittings and other variables.

I guess i'm just trying to get across that its a good idea, and anyone who says "mine doesn't leak" is just lucky because leaks happen and it does not take much oil on a motorcycle tire to get it loose. You buckle your seatbelt every time you drive because you "could" get in an accident right? Why not spend a dollar every 2-3 thousand miles because if not, you "could" develop an oil leak.

·
Banned
7,347 Posts
you are anal.
a drop of oil isn't going to get your back tire all full of oil.
the washer doesn't stop the bolt from backing out btw. if it backs out now what? are going to start a safety wire campaign?

do you also replace the $8 o ring on the fill cap or the $3 o ring on the dipstick every time too?
I bet they aren't leaking.
and if you think oil doesn't get on them that much remove one and go for a ride.

·
Registered
585 Posts
The washers are generally for safety and insurance for companies that do oil changes. They are liable if something goes wrong, so it's better for them to always do it.

For yourself it's up to you. I've seen a drain plug washer crushed to the thickness of paper. Naturally that one had to be replaced.

·
Christian Rapper
1,423 Posts
I've found that whether or not you use a new crush washer, if you tighten the drain plug by hand and then give it a quarter turn with the ratchet, it locks in there so tight that I need a breakover bar to bust it loose next oil change.

I do that for the car and the bike both and seems to work great but with that said, I just bought a whole bag of crush washers for the car because I really think they should be changed out every 4th of 5th oil change. Then tend to get really thin and stretch out after a while. For the bike I have a magnetic drain plug with a heavy plastic washer that appears to be re-usable. Seems to crush and then spring back once you take it off.

·
MACGYVER 05 R6 NJ
4,033 Posts
you are anal.
a drop of oil isn't going to get your back tire all full of oil.
the washer doesn't stop the bolt from backing out btw. if it backs out now what? are going to start a safety wire campaign?

do you also replace the $8 o ring on the fill cap or the $3 o ring on the dipstick every time too?
I bet they aren't leaking.
and if you think oil doesn't get on them that much remove one and go for a ride.

O rings are designed to be used repeatedly not crush washers.

·
<3 My Yami.
447 Posts
Exactly. And you can call me anal, careful, whatever you want. All I know is i wont be posting how i wrecked my bike because I skimped out on a buck. If it leaks a drop, it will leak more. Its all going to puddle in the bottom of the lower fairings and funnel right out to the rear wheel. If torqued properly, the bolt isnt going to back out. Tracks require safety wiring for the safety of others on the track, because sometime in the past someone has done their work half ass and caused an accident. You can argue all you want, there is no way getting around that it is a good idea to change the washer every time. I work in an industry that strives on preventative maintenence, and thats exactly what this is. Its been proven many a times that replacing a wearable item BEFORE it fails pays out in the end.

·
Banned
7,347 Posts
then why are you supposed to replace them when you change a fuel injector?

Exactly. And you can call me anal, careful, whatever you want. All I know is i wont be posting how i wrecked my bike because I skimped out on a buck. If it leaks a drop, it will leak more. Its all going to puddle in the bottom of the lower fairings and funnel right out to the rear wheel. If torqued properly, the bolt isnt going to back out. Tracks require safety wiring for the safety of others on the track, because sometime in the past someone has done their work half ass and caused an accident. You can argue all you want, there is no way getting around that it is a good idea to change the washer every time. I work in an industry that strives on preventative maintenence, and thats exactly what this is. Its been proven many a times that replacing a wearable item BEFORE it fails pays out in the end.
so you don't replace o rings as preventative maintenance? I find your preventative maintenance lacking.
if my drain plug ever develops a leak I'll write you...don't wait around. you may never hear from me. after all, I've done roughly 15 oil changes over the last 7 years on one washer. on my bike.
I've been changing my oil in my vehicles since I turned 16 using the same washers. none of them leak.
that's 18 years of oil changes without an issue of reusing a washer....just sayin....

as for the track stuff...they safety wire that stuff because even a new washer doesn't stop a bolt from backing out. someone might not have it tight in the first place.
oil doesn't gush out of the washer if the bolt is tight. safety wire keeps it from backing out.
I don't think you are familiar with what safety wire is for or how it works...it doesn't prevent oil leaks.
and OMG! they make you safety wire oil filters too, that has to mean they leak all the time even with NEW O RINGS!
engines blowing up is the number one way oil gets on a track. not from crush washers seeping a drop of oil out.
your theory just jumped out the window and killed itself.

btw, what do you do about the chain lube that flings off onto your tire? you just change the chain every 500 miles instead of lubing it?

·
<3 My Yami.
447 Posts
then why are you supposed to replace them when you change a fuel injector?

so you don't replace o rings as preventative maintenance? I find your preventative maintenance lacking.
if my drain plug ever develops a leak I'll write you...don't wait around. you may never hear from me. after all, I've done roughly 15 oil changes over the last 7 years on one washer. on my bike.
I've been changing my oil in my vehicles since I turned 16 using the same washers. none of them leak.
that's 18 years of oil changes without an issue of reusing a washer....just sayin....

as for the track stuff...they safety wire that stuff because even a new washer doesn't stop a bolt from backing out. someone might not have it tight in the first place.
oil doesn't gush out of the washer if the bolt is tight. safety wire keeps it from backing out.
I don't think you are familiar with what safety wire is for or how it works...it doesn't prevent oil leaks.
and OMG! they make you safety wire oil filters too, that has to mean they leak all the time even with NEW O RINGS!
engines blowing up is the number one way oil gets on a track. not from crush washers seeping a drop of oil out.
your theory just jumped out the window and killed itself.

btw, what do you do about the chain lube that flings off onto your tire? you just change the chain every 500 miles instead of lubing it?
Because gasoline can be corrosive to certain compounds of o-rings. Not to mention a gas leak is far more dangerous than an oil leak.

I do not replace the filler cap o-ring or the dip stick o-ring because they are only splashed with oil, not constantly submerged like the drain plug. As long as an o-ring is still compressible and not damaged, it is re-usable.

I never said that the safety wire stopped oil leaks, I said peoples shotty maintenance (like not tightening a bolt properly) prompted safety wiring. And OMG, I've never seen a properly tightened oil filter leak oil! Maybe someone forgot to tighten that too and thats why they safety wire it? Hmm. Back to shotty maintenance huh? Tracks can't prevent engines from blowing up, but they can raise safety and awareness to prevent stupid accidents by backyard mechanics.

As for the chain lube theory, I lube my chain properly with quality lube...Never gotten any on my tires except for when EK decided to dip my new chain in grease. Kerosene cleans oil/grease off of tires great.

I don't care how many oil changes you've done, like I said before...It's a good idea to change the washer. I'm trying to give out good advice, your trying to save him a buck...He can choose whatever route he wants. If you want to keep testing my maintenance theories, I will keep proving you wrong.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts