Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wanted to get some input on how to correctly drill through my left fairing for a frame slider for my 2000 r6. I already have one on the right but that was already on when i bought the bike. Now i have to put the left one on. How should i mark the fairing accurately enough to know where to drill? And, what kind of drill should i use? Also, what bit should i use?

I heard that i'm supposed to use a drill that has very high rpm's. somthing like a air compressor drill.

·
Registered
886 Posts
i did mine but man make sure you measure right i made my hole alittle to big lol but the holes are perfect and even jsut big but still looks good i think oh and you i use a air compressed drill

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
whoa..wtf..you're fram slider is really low. i didn't know they have them that go there. Mine is above more on the first beam(right below the tank.

·
Registered
104 Posts
ok your going need need a whole saw I would say 1/16 bigger then the dia. of your fram slider.

put masking tape over the area on the side your going to drill so you dont get chips in the glass

drill a pilot hole so the hole saw dosnt jump all over the place then drill

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
have a 2000 r6. Thanks for the info. but how do i mark the point where i want to drill? do i just guess where the hole should be or what?

thanks

·
Registered
886 Posts
hahah :hammer alittle big huh but from acouple of feet away it looks good since the holes are perfect but when you get to damm to close to my bike wish you shouldnt lol you could see there pretty big lol

·
Registered
273 Posts
panago said:
Are there not frame slider kits that do not require you to cut or modify anything :?: :moon
Yes, they're called "Street Sliders" and people have stated that they don't work as well as the "Race" ones that require cutting.

·
Registered
308 Posts
I didn't put mine on but i say take off the fairing and put the slider on and see where it hits fairing on the inside, mark it off and cut. be careful though. I used a the drill with large teeth to cut the hole for my flushmount turnsignals and the edge came out somewhat jagged or not as clean as i wish it was. So see if you can get a drill bit with fine edged teeth.

Dont take my word for it though consult with a shop and see what they do.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Id use a hole saw with samll teeth, tape on the spot to reduce chatter and then after, remove the tape and clean it up with a fine half-round file or a drill stone...

·
Registered
293 Posts
take off the fairing and put play-doh or clay or something on the inside, then put it back on and push it so the engine mount bolt makes a mark. then take it off and put a point in the middle of the mark, and drill from there! good luck

·
Registered
283 Posts
To find the correct holesaw size take your slider to shop garage etc and slide it into the holesaw. It should just fit. Be careful not to scratchup your new sliders on the teeth. This should give you a good clearance all round the slider. Now just get the hole exactly centered. Paint up the cut edge with some touch-up paint or it looks very backyard.

·
heebiedabajeebies!
1,781 Posts
Jimbo, i got the same sliders too (Shogun no frame modification), i got them on Ebay as well. Put them on 3 weeks ago.

Have you ever had to put the mto use? i am hoping you haven't but if you did, how did they fare?
I heard that the aluminum offset may bent when bike is dropped on its side. I hope this isn;t true for the Shogun. They seems to be well built.

Mike

1 - 20 of 33 Posts