Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'll be doing an oil change tomorrow and thought id might as well drill the bolt for safety wire What size drill bit should I use? Particular technique? Never done it before.

·
pin it to win it
8,081 Posts
A hss drill bit and preferably a drill press. Idk what size

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks bryan! You should just come out to Cali's and do my weekend project for me! Haha. Thanks for all the tips. Hss drill bit, something I can get at home depot?

·
pin it to win it
8,081 Posts
Fly me out there and I'll be your mechanic lol.
Home depot, advance auto they all should have them. Just get one bigger than the safety wire, which should really small

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
I haven't been into HD in a while but I was at Sears the other day and they had plenty to choose from hanging on the wall. The plug isn't difficult to drill through as long as you have something to hold it in place like a vice. Take the plug with you and you'll be able to see exactly what size bit to use.

·
pin it to win it
8,081 Posts
LOL. all I need to do is pay for your ticket? free labor? Sounds like a pretty good deal. lol
Free labor. You ever find a bit?

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Free labor. You ever find a bit?
Yup. I went to Sears and bought a 1/16th like narve00 suggested and after a few rounds it snapped like a twig. Then i looked in my tool box just for the heck of it and I found a few hss bits. smallest i had was the next size up (forgot the size), did pretty well before it snapped.

I'll get back to it once i figure out this little battery issue I have and not to mention the slider issue haha.

·
Pastor of Muppets
1,459 Posts
Should be using. 032" safety wire so anything bigget than that. Try drilling half way through one side then halfway through the other so they meet. You'll have less of a chance drilling crooked that way.

·
pin it to win it
8,081 Posts
Use oil our something to keep the bit from getting to hot abd to help it cut.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts