Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys,

I dropped my 09 R6 a year ago, on the left side travelling around 30 kph, damage wasn't covered by insurance. I can't afford to repair it and was thinking of selling it in it's current condition. I have had it evaluated by a local dealership and most of the damage is cosmetic. Any ideas of what the market would be like for something like this?

Thanks

·
Premium Member
1,627 Posts
There's people selling their plastics, or you can even get race plastics with the cut outs for the lights. Kinda sad seeing a bike get sold for cosmetic damage

·
I'd Flip it :popcorn:
16,745 Posts
Best thing is to shop around to see what a wrecked bike will go for. I take it you did not have full coverage? I saw a 08 the had about the same amout of damage go for 3500 locally

·
Read Only
1,581 Posts
30 kmh is what, 20 mph roughly? Wish this didn't happen man. Such a nice bike.. I would shop around for some plastics. Don't sell her..

·
Go Ahead
2,705 Posts
dude, that's a cheap fix. Do your rashed plastics still mount? If so, just re mount them and keep riding until you can afford others. There are some used ones on here for cheap!

-Ant.

·
Dangerously Irish
9,550 Posts
dude, that's a cheap fix. Do your rashed plastics still mount? If so, just re mount them and keep riding until you can afford others. There are some used ones on here for cheap!

-Ant.
:stupic

Seriously dude, put back on your plastics and ride, If you post better pictures we could judge just what needs fixing, Odds are you need a fairings stay and all the fairings replaced on the left side? there is a guy selling the whole left side fairings for a blue 09 You could have a Frankenstein going on. If not I'll see if my GF has the cash she has been on my ass about a bike:sing

·
I'd Flip it :popcorn:
16,745 Posts
I prolly wont pay more than $2k, thats just me, coz I really dont know if it has any other problems associated with the crash.

U might make a bit more if u take the time to part it out :dunce:
Plus it has sat for a year......

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yea I didn't have full coverage, the dealership quoted me around 9500 CAD to bring it back to new condition. This was to insurance standards, and any part with a sratch on it was to be replaced.

Some of the more expensive parts that need to be replaced, headlight assembly,tank, the aluminum housing/column under the handlebars...Not sure what this part is called.

Other than that its just plastics, pegs, lights.

·
Track Aficionado
1,184 Posts
I don't understand how someone could afford to buy an '09, but can't afford to put a few hundred bucks towards having it fixed.

·
Track Aficionado
1,184 Posts
Yea I didn't have full coverage, the dealership quoted me around 9500 CAD to bring it back to new condition. This was to insurance standards, and any part with a sratch on it was to be replaced.

Some of the more expensive parts that need to be replaced, headlight assembly,tank, the aluminum housing/column under the handlebars...Not sure what this part is called.

9,500 CAD is $9,202 US, which is enough to get a brand new '09, OTD.

If you lowsided, I see about $1,200 in repairs, if that. In these situations, eBay and the forums are your best friend.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
:stupic

Seriously dude, put back on your plastics and ride, If you post better pictures we could judge just what needs fixing, Odds are you need a fairings stay and all the fairings replaced on the left side? there is a guy selling the whole left side fairings for a blue 09 You could have a Frankenstein going on. If not I'll see if my GF has the cash she has been on my ass about a bike:sing

I will take some more pictures tomorrow and post them.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I don't understand how someone could afford to buy an '09, but can't afford to put a few hundred bucks towards having it fixed.
If I can do it for 1200 it wouldn't be a problem, I was just expecting to be in it to it for 4-5 K.

·
scared of big tracks
8,491 Posts

PLEASE do yourself a favor and NEVER go back to that dealer again. Yet another reason why dealers get a bad rap. :bash

·
Premium Member
1,627 Posts
A dealership is the worst place to go to, to have work done on your bike. Just do what I'm doing and check the forums for parts that you need and get them as they become available. The forum sponsors are also awesome with helping people get what they need to get their bike back up and running.

·
Track Aficionado
1,184 Posts
If I can do it for 1200 it wouldn't be a problem, I was just expecting to be in it to it for 4-5 K.
I just saw brand new OEM headlights for an '09 on eBay for $289. Tank should cost you in the realm of $3-$500, and that's the most expensive part of your repairs, assuming you haven't tweaked your forks.

If you can turn a wrench, there's no reason why you can't get your machine back together.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts