Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

Dropped my helmet, what does this mean...

2K views 14 replies 9 participants last post by  UNDATC 
#1 ·
Freakin A I am so upset with myself... I went to put air in my tires and bc I was afraid of dropping the helmet from the seat, I put it on top of the air compressor box. (Im such an idiot, bc I was thinking what if it vibrates and falls off, but I left it up there and forgot about it...)

Anyways Im putting in air and next thing you know I hear a loud *thud* and think to myself, "Oh crap..." My helmet is on the floor and the top of the helmet hit the ground, small flakes in a small circular spot from where it hit was formed.

It was about 4 ft in height, taller than the bike, not sure if that measurement is even correct, but my question is... "Should I still be wearing this helmet?" I dont really have the money to buy a new one so I guess I dont have a choice, but should I make it a top priority to purchase one as soon as I can? The flakes are barely noticeable and the helmet overall looks the same as before; just worried about internal damage and what not...

Anyone who has experienced this, please let me know how you went about it and what consequences occurred if not any. Sorry to sound paranoid, and if I am acting like it then please tell me. I have learned from my mistake... Why didnt I just put it on the ground... grr....

See less See more
#3 · (Edited)
First thing, obviously which you've learned is to not drop it anymore lol...

You'll be fine, plenty of us have dropped the helmet...I've also read of waste high being not the greatest but i've also read that although its no good, its definitely not a huge disaster. I think you'll be alright with it.

On a better note, i had my helmet safely on the ground one day...it was really windy so i didnt want it to fall. Well a friend of mine decided he would hop in his car quick and just take off. As you probably of guessed, he SMOKED my helmet which was layin on the ground. 30ft down the road it landed upright...

#5 ·
I believe you can have the helmet x-rayed to see what the protective foam inside looks like. thats what ive heard at least... its worth looking into id say.

#6 ·
Thanks guys I really appreciate the input and the whole crash thing does make sense. I would like to do the x-ray thing, seems to be the smart thing to do, but I would assume that its pretty expensive, and if thats the case might as well use that money towards a new helmet anyways...

Since it is a Shoei RF 1000 Im hoping itll be good for more than just that... I would normally put it on the ground without a second guess, until one day I was at a wawa with two other guys and then out of nowhere this black lady came up to me talking all crazy telling me to pick my helmet up and to never put it on the floor ever again. She said, "wherever your helmet is, represents where you will be." Meaning if I put my helmet on my bike then I would stay on my bike, vice versca being on the ground, would result in me being on the ground = crash... Ever since that day I have yet to put my helmet on the ground, damn that crazy lady and her voodoo mumbo jumbo...

I doubt theres a way that I can take advantage of the warranty on a helmet right? lol...

#8 ·
I guess I should feel somewhat better then, because where I dropped my helmet when looking at the right side of the face was the upper portion towards the front so where it says 0.4% and 1.8% is the general area that it impacted on...

#9 ·
ive heard the same thing. but im in the same situation, dropped it hard many times. once i fell down some stairs with it. so ill be purchasing one soon. but like i said i've heard one drop could compromise the helmet. i believe arai and a few others offer some sort of insurance for this type of event. good luck. dont crash!

#10 ·
yeah i'd be pissed
i think i'd still wear it though imho
(i wish i knew how to calculate the energy transferred to the helmet that would be uber cool)

edit: patrazz don't feel bad i fell down my stairs coming out of my apartment once i think every part of me hit the stairs but i saved the helmet from hitting

#13 ·
Oh man sorry fellas... I feel like I made everyone feel just a little bit more insecure about their lids protecting their heads... I guess it was also to see how often or not other people drop their lids, but it is a common thing no? Hell I drop my gloves every so often just a matter of time for the lid to go down as well as all of us.

I was looking at the Gothic lid from AGV bc I think Rossi helmets are beautiful. Anyone care to elaborate on AGV quality? Coming from a Shoei Im hoping the fit and finish is just as good as Shoeir, Arai, and Suomy. I wish I could get the Limited Edition Dream helmet, but $700 is way too much for this guy...

#15 ·
If the drop/hit compromised the shell (the hard inner lining not the pretty outside) the entire thing is busted and needs to be replaced. Reason being, you take a hit to the helmet, the force of the impact is transfered throughout the entire helmet, it gets to that one weak point and it buckles. The end effect, you didn't do a damn thing to protect your head.

Take out the inner lining (soft foamy stuff) and look at it very closely, if you see marks/chips or other signs that it might be cracked or compromised, time to get some shiny new bling.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.