Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I dropped the damn bike in the driveway and it fell on the left side; cracked the stator cover and clutch lever. Replaced the stator cover and clutch lever and took it for a test ride. When I go to make a turn, its almost as if the bike wants to come out from under me. Almost like a flat front tire feeling. When Im going straight you can almost feel the front wheel run out from true center, almost like the front wheel is sliding on the axle. I dont have a lift for the front. Everything seems tight and nothing appears cracked. I looked over the front end while riding and it appears to be running true. Any ideas???

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It fell kind of hard on the bar end. Is there something that runs down through the center on the steering forks? Nothing looks cracked or loose. I tried sliding the front end side to side and pushing and pulling on everything but it all seems solid. Can I put a wrench on this nut to check it?

·
Banned
7,347 Posts
Are the forks the same height in the upper clamp?

Is the handlebar loose or bent?

Is the front wheel pointing straight ahead with the bars straight?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Are the forks the same height in the upper clamp?

Is the handlebar loose or bent?

Is the front wheel pointing straight ahead with the bars straight?
Yea everything looks perfect like when I bought it. The wheel is perfectly straight, handle bar looks fine, etc. I started riding it and everyhing seemed great until I made that first turn. I haven't checked the air in the front tire. I filled both about 2 weeks ago so unless I punctured it, it should be fine. I will double check though.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Noticed something when I took it for a ride again. With the bike on the kick stand if I try and rotate the front tire backward so it puts torque on the forks push towards the back of the bike, the fork has some play in it. So basically it seems like there's a little play front to back on the forks. Is that normal?

·
Pastor of Muppets
1,459 Posts
Noticed something when I took it for a ride again. With the bike on the kick stand if I try and rotate the front tire backward so it puts torque on the forks push towards the back of the bike, the fork has some play in it. So basically it seems like there's a little play front to back on the forks. Is that normal?
Are you sure the play is in the forks themselves? Sounds like it could be steering stem bearings. Do you have access to a head-lift style front stand?

·
Banned
7,347 Posts
Are you sure the play is in the forks themselves? Sounds like it could be steering stem bearings. Do you have access to a head-lift style front stand?
You can only check those bearings if you lift the bike with no weight on them. He would have to do it by the headers or a strap on the frame and lift it from above

1 - 10 of 10 Posts