Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Track junkie wanna be
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have any info on the 8477 Med+ rear? I bought a spare set of rims last year that had 211s on them from late 2012 and I do not know what compound they are. I am guessing soft since I only got about 60 laps on it before the left side is almost worn out. Jennings is the track I ran them at. The front still has a lot of life left and was just going to replace the rear with the medplus compound if it will handle a few track days. Suspension is well sorted and I am a fast novice that is ready to step up to the next level of tire. Yes I ran warmers, and yes I set the correct pressure.

Anyone have any experience with these?

·
Track junkie wanna be
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Why spend roughly $400 since I would need to replace both tires instead of one at about $180. While I respect the hell out of those that race and ask questions and share, sometimes I prefer first hand experience. I have made decisions based on some of the knowledge shared by them. I have run a lot of street tires, but this is my first set of track day tires even though they are of an older compound. That is why I am asking about the newer compound.

·
"The Dude abides .. "
4,719 Posts
Why spend roughly $400 since I would need to replace both tires instead of one at about $180. While I respect the hell out of those that race and ask questions and share, sometimes I prefer first hand experience. I have made decisions based on some of the knowledge shared by them. I have run a lot of street tires, but this is my first set of track day tires even though they are of an older compound. That is why I am asking about the newer compound.
so your first track day, buy GOOD tires. How much is your bike worth? the gpa is the ama spec tire, NOT up to par with the michelin CUP and pirelli race rubber. Is it cheaper ? heck yea.. is it scary compared to better race rubber ? heck yea! A 1st year expert here in FL region just raced on the gpa for the first time 3 weeks ago, in preparation for the Daytona. His lap times at Roebling road were WAY off his times from the year before on the UK dunlop tires ($550 per set). like 5 SECONDS off his times. I was pitted across from him and being one of the veterans in the region, i have been mentoring him a little bit even though he doesn't ride michelin. I told him to just keep at it, get used to the less grip, and remember that in the ama races everyone will be on the same tire (as we smoked him on the non spec rubber.. )
Fresh rubber is like added insurance. Get different tires. You are grumbling about $400 , but how pissed will you be if you (hope ya don't) crash.. or, how much fun will it be rolling around on tires that are inferior to other race rubber.

I am not even saying you NEED race rubber, but there are sport tires that are likely better than the gpa ama spec tire..

·
"The Dude abides .. "
4,719 Posts
5 seconds?? Come on... thats not a tire problem. ;)
Saw a few guys in the 13s on GPAs last weekend.
I said THAT rider was 5 seconds slower, and he was an AM racer last year but in one race, came from the 2nd wave to beat all of us. Yea, you can eventually get the setup in the ballpark, and make em work "ok". but they are easily 1 second a lap slower with the BEST rider vs. the uk tire, or the pirelli or michelin.

and i would wager a small amount that some you saw doing 13's were not on gpa's.. and one of the tossed it down the road trying to keep up doing very good times. So make sure you KNOW they were on gpa's before you assume that is what they were on ..

i was there the weekend before, four 2nd and two 3rds (on michelin) with grids TWICE as big as the wera event. We had 953 entries, to 440+- for the wera event. The PRO riders like hayden gillem and others were struggling to do 14's. His teammate was on slicks to beat me in GTU. Seth Starnes won all three of the races he was in (mid and hw) and won't run the gpa, he laid down some 14's and high 13's .. on slicks ;) The track was very green from the 2 days of rain before our event or i bet we would have seen more 13's and even some 12s'

it blows my MIND and many others in the industry, that NON AMA RACERS and riders, would waste good money on the gpa tire when there are better alternatives, for a small amount more ! but hey "they use em in the AMA , they MUST be the best!" ... sad.

·
"The Dude abides .. "
4,719 Posts
Hmmm AMA spec tire not good enough for an amateur? makes perfect sense.
why would dunlop spend a ton of money to manufacture the very best tires they can (and they CAN make a good tire!) when every rider has to use the same tire, zero competition, at the ama events ? there is a reason the spec tire costs less, and even the best riders go slower on it than the regular tire they use in ccs/wera races. EASILY 1 second or more. Ask around. The uk tire costs $550+-, but it's a way better set of tires than the us made spec tire.

The spec tire has improved, and i see it in my races. A year+ ago, it was a joke when the guys would try to race us on the spec tire.. they changed at lunch to the uk tire and "bingo" .. they were right there in the mix up front with us again. But make no mistake about it, the spec tire is inferior to the pirelli race rubber and michelin race rubber. FACT.

·
Registered
5,244 Posts
it blows my MIND and many others in the industry, that NON AMA RACERS and riders, would waste good money on the gpa tire when there are better alternatives, for a small amount more ! but hey "they use em in the AMA , they MUST be the best!" ... sad.
not for nothing melka but there were quite a few on GPas. I know what to look for. ;) I listened to Leon talk shit about how awesome his riders were doing...
had to laugh.
I was on pirellis for the first part of the weekend. Went back to Dunlops only because I had them handy in the trailer. Maybe for jennings Ill try michelins. Got any takeoffs? :lmao

I think Stick is doing some kinda partnership with Michelin. Forgot to ask him...

·
"The Dude abides .. "
4,719 Posts
not for nothing melka but there were quite a few on GPas. I know what to look for. ;) I listened to Leon talk shit about how awesome his riders were doing...
had to laugh.
I was on pirellis for the first part of the weekend. Went back to Dunlops only because I had them handy in the trailer. Maybe for jennings Ill try michelins. Got any takeoffs? :lmao

I think Stick is doing some kinda partnership with Michelin. Forgot to ask him...
Yes.. ! Stickboy is covering Michelin as well as B-stones now.

i just got the lowdown on who was on what there with mid weight fast guys for the wera event (not gonna name names but i'm not making it up). One on Pirelli, one on a UK211 front/212 rear another on a 212UK front/gpa rear.. another on Spec/spec .. crashed. So there ;)

The REAR spec isn't horrible, good riders can spin and steer with the rear without issue. But there is a REASON that at club events, when the dunlop rider want's to go fast, they use a UK front.

i always have take offs. If you will be at JGP for the ccs event, i will give ya a set , but the rear will likely be an A that won't last long (soft).

·
Registered
5,244 Posts
Yes.. ! Stickboy is covering Michelin as well as B-stones now.
i always have take offs. If you will be at JGP for the ccs event, i will give ya a set , but the rear will likely be an A that won't last long (soft).
Ill get with ya Friday. :toocool: Ill pay for them.

The dunlops are better than street tires. I get why some run them. Mostly its for tire money or individual relationships. I love the Stick... but not a fan of the B-stones. Although he does give the best advice on making tires last longer. :lmao

·
Premium Member
30,458 Posts
i so wanna try the cups, but the way they do their compounds scares me. we get up to 100 on track days, and i don't race. i want somethign sticky that lasts... currently that's the gpNTEC.

melk... sell me. or tell me what to try. i'm midpack advanced when i'm on my game, but i've been out with family stuff for the past 18 months. getting back on it very soon.

·
"The Dude abides .. "
4,719 Posts
The C compound will last. I don't know if it will last as long as a dunlop uk ntec rear, but it's not nearly as expensive as that tire either (and not sure how much longer you will even be able to get that tire).

The fronts are our strong point. I have put 50 laps on fronts, at top expert pace, and not had a time when i said "Oh man, that was close, this tire is done".. The thing about the michelin is just KEEP RUNNING IT when the rain sipes are going-gone. And i don't mean like a bowling ball, the grip awesome, turn in fast, and have amazing side grip. I get the holeshot in 95% of expert ccs races.. I think Seth starnes broke my 18 holeshot in a row streak a couple weeks back edging me out in 1 race. They give me that much confidence to check out and make the fast guys run me down and make a pass.

Keep in mind you need to get going after you come off the warmers.. the tires are THIN, they dissipate heat well (and why the grip lasts longer over race duration than the power ONE that was really thick and heavy), but if you chit-chat with buddies on hot pit a while, the heat is leaving the tire. So get the talkin over with, then take the warmers off.
Again, i can not stress how good our VB/VA or Power SLICK fronts are. If you want more life, try the power slick B rears. We just took 2nd in class at the 75 lap Team Challenge endurance race at Roebling on ONE SET of power SLick B tires. 110HP ducati DS1000 lightweight bike, but i was chasing and passing lots of 600 riders.

·
Reads the rulez
2,255 Posts
The C compound will last. I don't know if it will last as long as a dunlop uk ntec rear, but it's not nearly as expensive as that tire either (and not sure how much longer you will even be able to get that tire).

The fronts are our strong point. I have put 50 laps on fronts, at top expert pace, and not had a time when i said "Oh man, that was close, this tire is done".. The thing about the michelin is just KEEP RUNNING IT when the rain sipes are going-gone. And i don't mean like a bowling ball, the grip awesome, turn in fast, and have amazing side grip. I get the holeshot in 95% of expert ccs races.. I think Seth starnes broke my 18 holeshot in a row streak a couple weeks back edging me out in 1 race. They give me that much confidence to check out and make the fast guys run me down and make a pass.

Keep in mind you need to get going after you come off the warmers.. the tires are THIN, they dissipate heat well (and why the grip lasts longer over race duration than the power ONE that was really thick and heavy), but if you chit-chat with buddies on hot pit a while, the heat is leaving the tire. So get the talkin over with, then take the warmers off.
Again, i can not stress how good our VB/VA or Power SLICK fronts are. If you want more life, try the power slick B rears. We just took 2nd in class at the 75 lap Team Challenge endurance race at Roebling on ONE SET of power SLick B tires. 110HP ducati DS1000 lightweight bike, but i was chasing and passing lots of 600 riders.

So the Southeast Pirelli guy can hook you up with a good discount on buying 10 tires at a clip. What can Michelin do?

·
Track junkie wanna be
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
So for track days, is there a track day/race tire that will go two days? I have been running the Pilot Power 3 tires and as good as they are I feel like its time to step up in tires for the track. I was looking at one of three options, michelin supersport, power cups or just replacing the back with a Dunlop with the newer compound.

·
Premium Member
30,458 Posts

running slicks isn't a big deal for me... so you're recommending the power slicks?

·
Registered
5,244 Posts
running slicks isn't a big deal for me... so you're recommending the power slicks?
I have a friend on the west coast running these
http://www.pirelli.com/tire/us/en/motorcycle/sheet/diablo_superbike_pro.html?url=?subtype=track

He runs a pretty fast pace and as gotten 3 hard track days out of a rear with lots of wear marker left. No flips either.

The pirelli & bridgestone DOT rears will still grip well with the sipes gone. If you ride in an environment where you can control the pace (trackday) then you can get really good life out of them.
On the R10s... i had worn the sipes away & they were able to be recut making the tire like new for street duty. :scared

·
Premium Member
30,458 Posts
i loathe bridgestone. and pirellis are too soft carcassed for me. at least up until the new sc carcass that came out last year... haven't rode that yet.

·
"The Dude abides .. "
4,719 Posts
So for track days, is there a track day/race tire that will go two days? I have been running the Pilot Power 3 tires and as good as they are I feel like its time to step up in tires for the track. I was looking at one of three options, michelin supersport, power cups or just replacing the back with a Dunlop with the newer compound.
Race compounds are not gonna last as long as sport/street compounds, but you will get more grip. Take your pick.. Now there are race compounds that will last longer than others, harder vs. supersoft, but again, it's down to how much grip are you looking for. there are youtube vids describing the tires you are conidering..

·
"The Dude abides .. "
4,719 Posts
i loathe bridgestone. and pirellis are too soft carcassed for me. at least up until the new sc carcass that came out last year... haven't rode that yet.
if you like a firmer carcass tire, you will love the michelin CUP VB or VA tire. VB is for warmer temps and faster pace, the VA is for cooler temps (softer side compound). I just use the VB all the time.. even in superbike races. You can trail brake like crazy. Unlike our old "V" power One front. it was a 4 ply tire that just buckled a bit under hard trail braking, the side grip was good, but you had to do the hard braking upright then throw the bike on it's side. Not ideal.. the VB/VA power CUP took the amazing braking feel of the powerONE A and B (5 ply tire, felt amazing on the brakes) and gave it the profile of the "V" front for good turn in and side grip.

naturally a slick will last longer than the dot tires.. and it's not that i get outright faster laps on the power SLick, but there are more of my best laps. As in mid way through the 3rd sprint on the tire (i do mostly sprint racing) the slick will be giving me steady lap times. But i usually don't bother with the slick as i like the feel of the DOT power cup and change em a lot. If you wanted a tire to last as long as possible, yea, i would consider getting a slick if you won't be riding on the street. They do cost a little more than the cup DOT tires though.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts