Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
I'D RATHER BE RIDING
502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I was at Cycle World today looking at some Q2's and was asking what they wanted for them. The guy ask me what size and I tell him 190/55/17. He then proceeds to tell me that the R6 stock rim will not support the side wall on the 190/55. Is this true or does he not know what he is talking about? I have read a lot of debates on here about people running the 190/55 but never heard this perspective. He also quoted me $330 and I know I've seen them cheaper online. Any good deals on them would also be appreciated if anyone knows of any. Thanks in advance.

·
I'D RATHER BE RIDING
502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm not sure that I am going with the 190 but I am milling it over. I like the idea of having the extra side wall so that I'm still on the contact patch and not on the edge of the tire. Obviously the drawback is the added weight and a very minute, slowed transition. I really just have never heard anything about not being able to run it, until now.

·
Moderator Narcissist
18,899 Posts
I'm not sure that I am going with the 190 but I am milling it over. I like the idea of having the extra side wall so that I'm still on the contact patch and not on the edge of the tire. Obviously the drawback is the added weight and a very minute, slowed transition. I really just have never heard anything about not being able to run it, until now.
Yeah, well as for my part, I ran one on my '05 R6 and honestly the 180 totally felt better, so that was the first and last 190 I wasted my money on. I mean, I think it looks cooler, but really, like you said, the sluggish handling destroyed all that. But with all that being said, yeah...on the 2nd gens I know for a fact they'll fit, but other than that, I'm not 100% sure. :)

·
I'D RATHER BE RIDING
502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Alright thanks all. I'm gonna go with the 180's from motomummy at 199.95 for the set shipped. Waiting for a text from the wife right now to hit the "submit order" button. Thanks again for the quick responses.:D

·
Registered
263 Posts
running a 180 will be a cheaper route for sure, but I only ever run a 190/55 when Im at the track because I like the way it falls off center quicker when I go into a turn. In either case an R6 rim definitely has no issue with supporting a 190

·
Moderator Narcissist
18,899 Posts
running a 180 will be a cheaper route for sure, but I only ever run a 190/55 when Im at the track because I like the way it falls off center quicker when I go into a turn. In either case an R6 rim definitely has no issue with supporting a 190
A 190 falls off center quicker? That sounds backwards to me... :dunce:

·
My R6 eats green chilie
78 Posts
Alright thanks all. I'm gonna go with the 180's from motomummy at 199.95 for the set shipped. Waiting for a text from the wife right now to hit the "submit order" button. Thanks again for the quick responses.:D
Yup, thats the deal i was talking about :fact

·
Next Mod, Engine!Roll On!
344 Posts
190 would fit just fine, it's up to you to decide whether you like it or not...if you re not visiting the track, then go for the 180

·
I'd Flip it :popcorn:
16,745 Posts
190/50 is the same profile as the 180/55 just taller. 190/55 is the size you would want to look for. But really a 180 will be just fine

·
I'D RATHER BE RIDING
502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yeah 190/55 was the plan from the start. I've seen all the profile graphs for the 50 and 55. The 50 was never an option. I made up my mind though and ordered a set of Q2's 180/55-120/70 from Motomummy last night for 199.95 shipped. Can't wait to get them mounted. Thanks all for the input. All post pics and a review once there on.

·
Mr R6 p0wns me
411 Posts
If you are even close to reaching the edge on the Q2 on the street, you are riding it too hard and aggressive on the street to be safe. If you have gotten to the point where you are leaning the bike over enough that you are running out of extra "side wall" or edge of tire, then you need to change out tires and go for a racing compound if it concerns you that much. I'm sure most Q2 owners will agree, that the Q2 profile is steeper which gives you much more contact patch at a much steeper angle. Like one said, the 190 is going to impede your performance.

·
I'D RATHER BE RIDING
502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
OK so I got the Q2's 180/55 on this Saturday and went out for 175 mile ride to get the gloss off and see how they perform. I'm extremely pleased with the performance and feel of these tires. They definitely heat up a lot quicker than the stockers and rail around corners like nobody's business. If anyone wants I can post up some pics of them installed while their still fresh. Gotta say though, as of right now I am happy with my decision. Thanks all for the input.

·
Riding his own ride...
4,639 Posts
Also just a heads up but this deal is suppose to run out the end of this month. We are not sure if it will be continued after that. We are going to stock up like crazy though so even if it's over we'll have some inventory left to keep it going for another few weeks.

·
I'D RATHER BE RIDING
502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Also just a heads up but this deal is suppose to run out the end of this month. We are not sure if it will be continued after that. We are going to stock up like crazy though so even if it's over we'll have some inventory left to keep it going for another few weeks.
By the way thanks for the quick delivery. Got them in time for the weekend run.:YEA:D

·
1up,5down
131 Posts
i love my 190/55.... and the q2's are amazing... only tires ill buy... perfect for street and track day use... im on them in my profile pic at monticello

1 - 20 of 20 Posts