Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

Has anyone had any issues with the front fender rubbing with the Dunlop Q3 120/70 tires on the older R6? I have searched but have only found old threads that involved different tires. It appears to clear the fender barely but any kind of rock or pebble, you can hear at very slow speeds.

Is there a way to raise the front fender?

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah just mounted some q3s on my 1st gen and the fender rubs. I believe it is because the bike originally came with a 60 series front tire. Have to file the fender holes. Great tires though

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
Yeah, it's a taller tire 70% vs 60%. I didn't expect them to rub though. I will search for a how-to.

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Curious me wants to know why you didn't get the 60 series tire..
120/60 wasn't offered in the "package" options. I paid $230/shipped with a $40 rebate. I had done a few quick searches and it didn't seem it would have been an issue. In hind-sight, I should have just purchased a 120/60.

I only ride on the street. If I decide to start tracking, I would probably change back to a 60.

It seems people are removing the fender and drilling new holes. I will take a look at it this weekend.

·
Premium Member
978 Posts
You dont want the 60 series any longer. Too twitchy of a tire compared to the 70 series. Common change from the early 2000's through now. The tire also has more contact at lean with the taller 70 series tire, hence the switch.

·
Official Noob Greeter
55,856 Posts
You dont want the 60 series any longer. Too twitchy of a tire compared to the 70 series. Common change from the early 2000's through now. The tire also has more contact at lean with the taller 70 series tire, hence the switch.
This.

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the info guys!! I actually don't think it's rubbing, it's just super close and I can hear rocks/gravel that it picks up between the fender.

·
Pobrecitos
19,910 Posts
My S came with 60 series tires, I''ll stick with that...

Thanks for the info guys!! I actually don't think it's rubbing, it's just super close and I can hear rocks/gravel that it picks up between the fender.
Good to know when I need to swap out the Q2's on my S.

·
Meh
9,250 Posts
Just pull off the fender and oval out the holes so you can raise it up a few mm higher. Dremel, file, drill bit, whatever you have handy.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts