Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Custom R6
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What are you guys running for tires? I just picked up thee Q3's and they seem pretty sticky, after I broke them in a bit, they seem even better then the Bridgestone's I just had replaced.

Attachments

·
Registered
150 Posts
I'm running Q3 on my track bike, '11. Ran 4 days on them & they're excellent for the price & could last 7-8 days!. They would make great aggressive street tires. However, they do lack edge grip when pushed close to its limits on the track on a hot day, but does provide plenty of feedback & warning. I'll be taking these off to put on my '03 hopefully. I'll be trying Metzeler Racetec K3/K2 as a next set for the '11.

·
My R6 eats Ninjas.
749 Posts
I'm running Q3 on my track bike, '11. Ran 4 days on them & they're excellent for the price & could last 7-8 days!. They would make great aggressive street tires. However, they do lack edge grip when pushed close to its limits on the track on a hot day, but does provide plenty of feedback & warning. I'll be taking these off to put on my '03 hopefully. I'll be trying Metzeler Racetec K3/K2 as a next set for the '11.
What kind of pace are you running to where you get 7-8 days out of Q3s at the track? I was lucky if i could 3 out of them when i was using them.

·
Reads the rulez
2,255 Posts
What kind of pace are you running to where you get 7-8 days out of Q3s at the track? I was lucky if i could 3 out of them when i was using them.
Pace, rider style, track surface, tire pressure, what kind of shock you run/how well it's set up all play a big factor in tire wear. I have gotten better wear out of some tires than some guys in beginner group - Pretty much all the reasons listed above were jacked up in some way. Having a properly set up bike will save you a lot of money in tires.

·
Registered
150 Posts
I said, "could last 7-8 days". Based on the wear pattern, I think I can get another 3-4 days out of them, but I could be wrong. Perhaps the wiggle/slide/giving-out feeling I was getting is because due to the fact that the tires are indeed finished grip wise. There is, however, enough meat left on them for me to put them on to a street bike. I run upper intermediate & rode 1 NJMP Lightning, 2 NJMP Thunderbolt, & 1 NYST on these babies. I paid around $200 shipped on this set of Q3 with the $40 rebate they were running & I would run them again... I really wanted a back-to-back comparison to a $400 set of "track-purpose tires" see what the difference is.

·
Sherman Connoisseur
26,445 Posts
I just got Q3's, but for the streets only. My track bike has Pirelli Diable Supercorsa slicks, SC2 compounds.

·
Registered
150 Posts
I just got Q3's, but for the streets only. My track bike has Pirelli Diable Supercorsa slicks, SC2 compounds.
Do you run SC2 front & rear? How many days to they last you? The compounds run same with the regular Supercorsa right? They just have treads...?

I've read somewhere Metzeler Racetec is manufactured out of the same plant the DSC's are. I originally wanted to try the DSC, but most places were out of stock.

·
Make good choices.
2,808 Posts
I just did SIX 6-lap sprint races on an SC1 rear.

edit: I realized most people wont realize what's remarkable about that. Most racers at that track use an SC1 rear for 2 or 3 races at most. The point is I agree with High Side, having your bike set up will improve tire longevity, saving you money on tires.

·
Living The Dream
3,806 Posts
pilot power 3's for me..never leaving michellins super grip and long lasting my friend who i sold my bike to put another 6k on top of the 8k i already had on the tires and they're still no where near needing to be replaced...i used my friends kawi and he had q3's and they felt pretty good as well..still would prefer my pp3's

·
Registered
71 Posts
pilot power 3's for me..never leaving michellins super grip and long lasting my friend who i sold my bike to put another 6k on top of the 8k i already had on the tires and they're still no where near needing to be replaced...i used my friends kawi and he had q3's and they felt pretty good as well..still would prefer my pp3's
14k on PP3s … I don't think so.

·
Living The Dream
3,806 Posts
14k on PP3s … I don't think so.
i put 8k on them before i sold my bike..they looked literally new still..since then she said she did 2 oil changes so im assuming she does them every 2.5-3k

i really never understood how some people average like 6k on the streets..i dont ride slow either by any means..most i got was 9 or 10k on a pair of 2ct's

·
I eat what my R6 cooks!
2,498 Posts
Pilot Road 2. Plenty of grip for anything i do, and they still have a good 50% of their tread left at the shallowest point after about 12k miles.

·
pin it to win it
8,080 Posts
I use them on track only. Good life and grip for middle intermediate class. Can't be flipped and I have had and know plenty of ppl with splitting at the seams.
If michelin offered a comparable tire at the same price id use it. Can't beat 200 a set new.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts