Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesterday my 6 hour ride was good till about 4.5 hours in and the wind noise (very windy yesterday) was making my ears hurt. I assume that is why some of you use ear plugs. Do you wear the plugs all the time or just on longer trips? Does it seem to affect your overall hearing of the things around you?
Thanks in advance.:bowroll

·
First Gen FTW
11,444 Posts
I've used headphones with an mp3... its kinda nice on the long trips.... i dont recommend ear plugs tho...unless your one of those harley **** haha i kid i kid

·
Registered
316 Posts
Yeah if you're going really fast for a long time, you may want to get the ones that are rated @30.
Sucks when chicks try to talk to you when you are on a bike and you can't hear shit cuz of the plugs.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I don't use plugs, but the longest I've ridden is 100 miles.
Normally I don't but yesterday was a 210 mile day and I definitely needed them towards the end of the day.

·
Intermediate Knee Dragger
1,309 Posts
I wear either ear plugs or noise blocking earphones (Shure E2c or E3c) every single time I ride. Even on a short ride the wind noise will damage your hearing. Maybe not a lot, but hearing damage is cumulative and you will not get it back.

I have never had any trouble hearing anything going on around me other than people who talk quietly while wearing them either. I can hear the cars around me, I can hear sirens, etc. It seems like I hear the sirens before the cars around me hear them too. Either that or they just sit there listening to them for a moment before looking around...

·
Registered
263 Posts
I used to wear ear plugs all the time. mainly cause i'm required to wear them at work, so when i left work i would just leave them in and ride home. Now i have my MP3 player so i wear ear buds every time i ride. I'll never go without music it's so much better then listening to the wind, especially on the highway.

·
Premium Member
8,144 Posts
longest ride i did was 200 miles and used head phones with my ipod. Wind doesnt really bother my ears much though, its just nice to have them music to listen to on the boring ass hwy

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
what kind of lid do u have??? that might be ur problem...
Its a Shoei RF-1000 but this is the first time this has bothered me. It's also the longest I've ridden in one day.

·
Registered
365 Posts
i like wearing ear plugs. it cuts out the wind noise but i can hear everything else. i only wear them if i'm going on the highway or on longer rides tho

·
My R6 eats with me
742 Posts
I wear either ear plugs or noise blocking earphones (Shure E2c or E3c) every single time I ride. Even on a short ride the wind noise will damage your hearing. Maybe not a lot, but hearing damage is cumulative and you will not get it back.

I have never had any trouble hearing anything going on around me other than people who talk quietly while wearing them either. I can hear the cars around me, I can hear sirens, etc. It seems like I hear the sirens before the cars around me hear them too. Either that or they just sit there listening to them for a moment before looking around...

This is exactly how I feel. I never leave home without them.

·
I like bbq sauce on my R6
2,146 Posts
Is it really safe to wear headphones? I would think that music/not hearing road sounds could be dangerous.

·
Intermediate Knee Dragger
1,309 Posts
Is it really safe to wear headphones? I would think that music/not hearing road sounds could be dangerous.
With the Shures, you can leave the volume down low enough to still be able to hear other sounds over the music, even at highway speeds. It's no worse than driving a car with the radio/cd player on.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I've been using a pair of orange Heartechs for about 8 months now and I've been pretty happy with them. I feel a lot less fatigued on long rides and I can still hear stuff pretty well when I have em on. My only gripe is that it can be a bitch putting your helmet on without knocking them out.

·
In Search Of...
91 Posts
You should DEFINITELY consider ear plugs, especially on longer rides... or if you're on the bike all day. You don't notice how loud it gets at high speeds, but it can do some serious damage to your hearing, long term. I ride with them on long trips.

Check this out...

Motorcycle Facts

Most motorcyclists understand the effects of a "silent killer" which follows them every time they enjoy riding their bikes. Unfortunately, several people still believe the causes of hearing loss are due to how loud the bike sounds, and/or that it affects only the people who do not wear full shell helmets. This is true to a certain degree.

Based on several research studies, the major contributor to hearing loss in the motorcycle industry remains the "silent killer" known as "wind noise." Generically termed as the amount of noise turbulence produced around the head while the rider is in motion. Its inherited consequences result in irreversible hearing loss damage over a period of time when adequate hearing protection is not worn.

Similar to the shooting and aviation industries, if this issue is not addressed correctly from the beginning the amount of exposure to the inner ear is compounded every time the rider ventures out on his/her bike for hours at a time. Constant duration of harmful level noises gradually force the rider into becoming another statistic of the "silent killer."

To put this in perspective, according to OSHA's regulation of industrial noise exposure, an average worker surrounded by levels around 85-90dB for an eight hour day will not exceed the limits of exposure time within a 24 hour period of time.

However, when the sound levels exceed 100dB, your exposure time is reduced to two hours. When sound levels exceed 115dB, your exposure time is drastically reduced to 15 minutes. This puts riding a bike a whole other realm as "wind noise" at highway speeds can measure up to 103dB, or comparable to a running chainsaw. At these levels the rider is not only fatiguing physically from the excess noise exposure, but it also puts him into a position of needing a hearing aid later in life.

Another common ailment of motorcycle riding is a condition known as "Temporary Threshold Shift," commonly referred to as TTS by audiologists and hearing healthcare professionals. TTS is caused by excessive noise exposure for a duration of time, which drops your actual acute hearing pattern to a lower level temporarily. Meaning, your hearing is less than what it was before the initial exposure. Continuous TTS exposure will result in permanent damage.

Everyone has experienced this phenomenon at one time or another, whether it is from going to loud dance halls, or concerts, or even work. Even some of today's movie theatres can cause this to happen, but this is a specific certainty for motorcyclists who disregard adequate hearing protection while riding their bike.

Riding position and style of windshield help in preventing "silent killers" ability to fully be experienced. But even the best helmets on today's marketplace provide little help when considering "wind noise" levels at normal highway speeds. Obviously, this factor is increased in half shell models as well as skullcaps, but the common helmets used in today's marketplace are designed to fit entirely over the head providing a snug fit. These types of helmets have the best attenuation value (reduction in noise) regardless of any airflow modifications done to the outside. But these helmets still produce wind noise readings of 110 to 116dB's, from 35mph to highway speeds. When reflecting back to the comparison chart, 116dB will only be suitable for 15 minutes of riding a day. Not a lot of time to enjoy your hobby.... Is it?

1 - 20 of 27 Posts