Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is just an example of how this system can be installed… Like most things there is more than one way of doing it. This is what worked for me, and I like that I didn’t have to dismantle much of the bike.

Make sure you still read your user manual and take note of all warnings and cautions

All laid out looks like this

I purchased the factory connector kit online but when I got it, inside I had what looked like the R1 and R6 connectors, the package had clearly been open and there was Kawasaki instructions inside. I’m not sure if I received the wrong parts but they definitely didn’t fit. Long story short I was forced to use the generic connector kit.

First thing I did after laying everything out, was gain access to my install location, which is under the driver and passenger seats.

Next I move the computer out of the way temporarily and fished the RFID antenna connector and the antenna from the front seat compartment to the rear seat compartment

For neatness I kept the new wires with the existing wire harness that is run to the back of the bike

Next I located the turn signal connectors grey and black shown here.

We want to connect the two gray wires from the generic connector kit (Gen-1) to the tail lights positive feed (colored wires… Brown and Green). It is irrelevant which gray wire is connected to which side turn signal. Here are pictures on how to install the female T-taps, it is necessary to cut back the sheathing to gain access to the wire (not the insulation on the wire itself). Do so carefully so that you don’t cut the insulation and expose the bare wire.

Then with electrical tape neatly tape up the uncovered wire and connect the male T-tap

Repeat the process with the other side tail light

To locate the rear tail light wire you have to cut the sheathing shown here

There should be three wires Blue is the tail light Black is ground and the other is the brake light

Were going to tap our ground in here as well as the tail light… Orange to blue, Black to black

After completing that I connected the RFID antenna, applied the Velcro and placed close to the wiring harness so that I can still use the compartment for my tools and what not.

Place everything back in place neatly and I taped the antenna wire out of the way in a secure location

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Next to find the ignition wires I popped off this panel where I’m pointing and where the Allen wrench is

I disconnected the red clip and tried to start the bike, when it didn’t start I decided to use one of these two wires for my ignition disable.

I also took off the molding on the side of my gas tank to make feeding the wire through easier. It’s one screw, then slide the molding forward of the clips. Start to feed the wires through.

Then tapped in using the provided connectors, and mounted the module next to the battery

I mounted the perimeter sensor here and ran the wires neatly with the others.

(Make sure there is room for the rear seat to latch properly… in the rest of the pictures the perimeter sensor is to far back. This is before I relocated it to the above location)

This is the final product. I neatened up all extra slack in the wires and zip-tied them neatly
Then connected the positive lead to the battery, there is a distribution block directly underneath the MCM that worked perfectly (make sure you don’t connect HAR-1 until the installation is complete)

·
Registered
552 Posts
Very Clean! Very nice how-to!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Doesnt the seat deaden the siren? Nice and clean install tho.

I’m sure it deafens the siren a bit, but it’s still freakin loud. I had the remote in my backpack the other day geared up and put the key in the ignition, the alarm went off, apparently the remote was a bit too far… anyway it turned a lot of heads. I can’t compare to other locations or other alarms but seemed to do its job… not that anyone that turned their head would actually do anything about it, maybe if I were lucky I could at best get someone nice enough to call the cops...

·
Registered
7 Posts
i installed mine today and it works great... BUT i have it in my garage and it`s made of concrete and i the remote can not reach the bike there... :( its only 40 yards from my room... thats to bad!!! tomorrow i`ll check if i can change the position of the antenna or something to make it work as it should...

any idea?

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
where do u buy this at?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I know this thread is a few days old, but how did you get the MCM to stay there?

And how well does your antenna work taped up to the metal subframe?
My bikes an 08 so yours may be different, but the MCM fit supper snug right where I placed it, no need for any other adhesion method. Underneath the rear seat is a plastic box blocking the antenna from directly contacting any metal, so it works great…

·
Registered
230 Posts
Mine is an 08 also, and yea I figured it out and just stuck it in there. Installed mine today. Still don't understand the black box with the antenna though. It looks like you just taped it straight to the subframe. But whatever works. Thanks for the info.

·
be water my friend
139 Posts
i installed my scorpio i600 alarm over the weekend and your post made it very easy. thanks for the post illsuions,:)

1 - 20 of 52 Posts