Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im gonna keep it short & sweet. Ready to do a oil change & clutch replacemnet. (Friction plates only) Ordered from Bbandit what was said to be the correct 8 plates. Upon inspection & prepping for the job i notice all plates are the same? No purple or brown markings. I know the 2 go in certain order so im confused. Has anyone used such kit? It seems to be a kit to fit a general amout of machines. Im concerned about the lack of the 2road different plates affect it. Any info on this would be great.

Thanks

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
^^^^^^^^^ Forgot to mention 2003 r6 ^^^^^^^^^

·
Registered
5,244 Posts
usually the markings indicate different thickness. Your bike has a clutch spec.
If you dont have precision measuring tools... take out the old fibers and stack them then compare the height to your new stack. I would seriously consider bead blasting the steels before reassembly.

·
"The Dude abides .. "
4,719 Posts
all fibers, oem or otherwise, are the same thickness. The plates that are different thickness are the metals, and you have 2 optional thickness plates that you would put on an 06+ r6 to adjust stack height. On OEM fibers, yes, you have 3 colored fibers. 1 is outer, 6 mid, 1 inner fiber. The inner/outer have different teeth design.

On the EBC clutch kit, especially just a fiber kit, all will be the same (unless instructions clearly state otherwise but has not been the case in any ebc kit i have used). Slap some oil on the fibers and instal. You don't have to soak overnight, but it's not a horrible idea.
You don't have a stack height measurement on an 03-05/S clutch as there is no stock slipper.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Im gonna give it a go but i didnt wanna rule out possibly getting the wrong parts. Idk if a return/exhange happend, ppl are crafty! But i keep hearing about stack height but as mentioned i would see that for a slipper & nothing mentioned in the manual. Its only slipping WOT In 2/3RD sometimes so its still ridable. Just didnt wanna have the bike down for long if i tore into it. Did a recent gear swap found the nut missing on the drive sprocket. Recently bought it & been riding glad i caught it. After think i may return the plates & springs to get a complete kit. But i'll see.

·
"The Dude abides .. "
4,719 Posts
Im gonna give it a go but i didnt wanna rule out possibly getting the wrong parts. Idk if a return/exhange happend, ppl are crafty! But i keep hearing about stack height but as mentioned i would see that for a slipper & nothing mentioned in the manual. Its only slipping WOT In 2/3RD sometimes so its still ridable. Just didnt wanna have the bike down for long if i tore into it. Did a recent gear swap found the nut missing on the drive sprocket. Recently bought it & been riding glad i caught it. After think i may return the plates & springs to get a complete kit. But i'll see.
call ebc direct at 702-826-2400 if you want to verify you have the right part #. Or just google your part # and see if it comes up with the same year/model of bike. But it is VERY easy to just compare to the plates that you pull out. Lay one on the other. If all the teeth and disc diameter are same, it's likely the right plate kit.
Are you SURE you have enough free play in the lever? it's unreal how many think they have enough, when in fact there is some tension on the cable causing the slip.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Hey thanks for the ebc # i will shoot them a call. Ive been kinda back and forth on the ADJ for the clutch. Rule of thumb for me is to be able to fit a nickel in between the lever & perch. Really havent noticed it slip the last few days when i think about it. Also i feel like the coil spring near the clutch side adjusment seems weak. Like the lever kinda gimps the last bit when lettng go. I expect it to snap back a little quicker. Does this happen?

Side story here; a friend new to riding was complaining of slipping at speed. Turned out it was the lever adjustment (i set it right for him). The slight tension of his hands on the lever was causing it.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Forgot to mention, i did google the part # and it is right. 2 stickers on the box made me question that. One a hand written number similar to the actual number. I was guessing it was bbandits own # & sticker keeping the box closed saying it was inspected which im not sure if ebc does this?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Where do i find that in the manual? I have it but i uae my phone so i may of missed it.

·
"The Dude abides .. "
4,719 Posts
all wet motorcycle clutches have a stack height measurement (range) regardless if there is a slipper or not. :D:poke
you find that in the 03-05/s manual, and get back to me ;) or any dirt bike manual for that matter.. ;) ;) It's required spec for slipper clutches.

·
"The Dude abides .. "
4,719 Posts
Where do i find that in the manual? I have it but i uae my phone so i may of missed it.
you won't. that is why i said earlier "there is no stack height measurement for your bike"..
Metals don't wear. They can glaze, they can warp, they can turn blue or black (and do even after moderate use to some degree) .. Fibers start of around 3.0mm thick. The manual outlines (as you did find) min spec is around 2.85mm. That is all you have to go on. measure your fibers. if they are above 2.9mm ? they are fine. Now. if they are BLACK, and the metals are totally black, the fibers may have hardened from abuse and wont' grab the way they should. Also need to measure SPRING free length. Without sufficient tension pulling the pressure plate to the clutch pack, the clutch could slip as well. I have NEVER had to use aftermarket springs. That is in 10 seasons of racing, including 135hp+ superbike motors from 2007 to today.. OEM clutch springs are fine if replaced periodically, and give you a nice lever pull.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Im gonna keep it short & sweet. Ready to do a oil change & clutch replacemnet. (Friction plates only) Ordered from Bbandit what was said to be the correct 8 plates. Upon inspection & prepping for the job i notice all plates are the same? No purple or brown markings. I know the 2 go in certain order so im confused. Has anyone used such kit? It seems to be a kit to fit a general amout of machines. Im concerned about the lack of the 2road different plates affect it. Any info on this would be great.

Thanks
Did you resolve this? I got the full clutch kit and all of the plates look identical. I was wondering if this is normal

1 - 13 of 13 Posts